Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 09:59   #1

Tanzer 10.5

Any have any insight or experience with a Tanzer 10.5? Swing or fixed keel. Thanks
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 09:23   #2

Boat: O'day 39
Re: Tanzer 10.5

I too would like any info/advice on the 10.5.
Heave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:36   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

I researched these boats for purchase about 20 years ago and had one surveyed. It was a long time ago but here is what I remember and these are entirely my opinions.

They incorporated many very interesting features. It's lifting keel is the main attraction and I believe there was a hydraulic and a chain lift version. The chains were known to break and the hydraulic was preferred. They had an electric pump with a manual back up.

The keel trunk was up against the dinette and was not too intrusive but did block entrance to seating on one end of the U so seating entrance exit was one end only. Rest of the layout seemed very workable.

The hull was cored down to the waterline on the one I looked at and the gel coat had major extensive crazing. I would not expect to see this on all of them but it might say something about QC.

The lifting rudder construction was very lightweight and while acceptable for coastal was IMHO not sufficient for even occasional offshore hops. It was a deal killer for us.

Indeed we felt that the general quality of build was insufficient and too lightweight for our intended East coast liveaboard use.

It might make a nice Florida boat but I would worry about it's longevity in the hot, bright, humid environment. It sure is a tempting design and if one of the small Southerlys had been available in this country we would have snapped it up but alas.....

Some of the ones on Yachtworld look in nice condition and are worth an inspection if you think they might be suited to your needs.

Fair winds
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:39   #4

Boat: O'day 39

Thanks for the info, I'll be striking it off my short list of new/old boats.
Heave2 is offline   Reply With Quote