Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2023, 19:37   #1

Boat: Tanzer 8.5
Tanzer 8.5 bent prop shaft in board

I have bend my prop shaft, wrapped a dinghy line around the prop and BANG the engine stopped abruptly and we were dead in the water. We swam to cut the line free and noted that the prop was cricling a wider arc such that it nicked the hull . The shaft the holds the Cutlass bearing was shorn off clean at the hull. [IMG]C:\Users\Doug Creba\Documents\Creba\sail\saxon prop shaft (2).JPG[/IMG]
Boat is still in the water and I am exploring repair options. Interesting that the shaft of the strut is imbedded in the hull.
[IMG]C:\Users\Doug Creba\Documents\Creba\sail\saxon prop shaft.jpg[/IMG]
Boat is still in the water and I wonder how the base of the shaft is mounted to the hull. Some bolts I guess so I had to look from the INSIDE. The location is UNDER the fuel tank so it took some time. I took video which needs to be rotated to see a bulge that matches the location of the strut.

so what do people know about
1 how is the strut connected to the hull. is it bolted and then the bolts burried both inside and outside.???

I have to remove fuel tank and water tank to get access but the space is VERY tight. I cannot imagine reaching in with power tools to cut the fiberglass and expose the mounting . Of course I will do this out of the water but I am looking for ideas before I haul the boat.
DouginNanaimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 19:40   #2

Re: Tanzer 8.5 bent prop shaft in board

of course this is in the wrong thread I need a primer on how to adjust that
Old 25-09-2023, 21:36   #3

I think you might have an external P bracket thats through bolted with the nuts sealed with fibreglass and resin…… in case the p bracket gets whacked and broken. You have a bit of work to do, new shaft and strut, maybe engine mounts.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 18:36   #4

I find a bracket supplied by SOLE DIESEL. The bolt patern seems to be from the side rather than up into the hull. I found a fiberglass guy who is ready to open up from the inside to see the bolts or pins that would connect ACCROSS the hull. And then closed in with a patch. I wish there was a building explanation!

Tags
Bracket, propellor, Strut, Tanzer 8.5