Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2006, 10:54   #1

Tartan 27

Does anyone own a Tartan 27? I would like to know if this boat would be a good cruising boat for two people. I have heard many good reviews about the sailing ability of the Tartan 27, but they seem quite small in general. How is the storage? Also, what is a good year for these boats?
Tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 11:35   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Tartan 27

I can not answer specifically about this boat but will say that 27 feet is about as small as I would consider for two people for cruising. Anything smaller is too small in my opinion. I think there has been some good words said about these boats on this site.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 12:21   #3

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Tiger, our friend Russ on HYGELIG is currently cruising aboard his Tartan 27 in the Marshalls, his third year in the Pacific now. He and his wife previously crossed the Atlantic, taught for several years in Turkey while living aboard, cruised most if not all of Europe and then sailed back without incident.

I had a chance to examine the boat in Mexico and, altho' it is indeed a small boat for world cruising, here are some of the things that really impressed me:
1. outstanding storage; all 3 cockpit lockers are large and uncluttered; Russ carried 75 gals of water, as I recall, and almost that much diesel, yet no jugs were on deck.
2. tiller steering (the only functional option on a boat this size)
3. full keel but with a centerboard, as well; good tracking and yet suitable for shallow water
4. well controlled by one of the (small, inexpensive, high quality) Navik wind vanes
5. functional layout; Russ made the forepeake (forward cabin) into storage and created a double berth in the main cabin for shoreside use; cockpit especially cruising-friendly given the boat's overall length
6. after perhaps 30,000 miles, Russ has only had to add one approx 4" x 4" plate to the interior structures; the boat has held up very well as built.

He did have two coincident failures enroute to the Marquesas; his forestay broke which in turn caused the (corroded, unseen) mast step to fail. Russ is a solid seaman and got HYGELIG in to the Marquesas okay, where repairs were made.

There is a Tartan 27 owners group you might Google...

Jack
Old 20-01-2006, 09:23   #4

Cool! I can't believe he has done that much cruising on such a small boat. I looked him up on the T27 owner's website, and it looks like he has a late model T27, which is actually the T27 II and is a little more modern than the early T27s. I am still curious if anyone cruises on the older model, I think they are a little smaller. There are several on the market and the average price is very low.
Tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 12:14   #5

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Tiger, as I recall the difference between the 27-I and 27-II is the deck mold; the hulls are identical and S&S designs.

If you visit the links on the T27 site (I dropped by after seeing your post and in fact added a comment similar to the one above on Russ' HYGELIG) you'll find some other cruising reports from T27 owners.

Jack
Old 04-02-2006, 07:50   #6
sjs

Eoro Cruiser,

Do you recall what your friend did for a dingy; i.e., what kind did he have and how did he stow it when on a passage?
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:39   #7

SJS:

Russ uses an inflatable; I forget the brand name but it is grey hypalon. It does not have a rigid floor but does use wood braces. Dink goes on the cabin trunk, I would think - deflated and tied down. Braces in a cockpit locker. He has a very small 2 hp outboard, 2 cycle, which lives on the stern pulpit. So much for the notion that cruising in the SoPac requires a RIB and 15 hp outboard. Convenient, yes. Necessary? Nope.

Jack
Old 06-02-2006, 06:04   #8
sjs

Thank you Jack. I've been struggling with how to stow a dink on my 27 footer. Appreciate the info.

Steve
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote