Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 13:08   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Tartan 27 in MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I think it looks excellent! Very clean, obviously cared for. The pride of ownership is obvious. Almost full keel with supported rudder looks good for blue water. Super shallow draft would be great in the Bahamas...or anywhere known for thin water (like the 1000 islands of Lake Ontario). Tartan has a good reputation for solid boats from that era.

I think you could likely splash that boat and sail away. And at that price, its a really good deal.

However...no furling, and I bet the sails are in "well used" condition. If there were newer sails, they would have been mentioned. And that diesel likely could use a visit from a mechanic before I would trust my life to it. And I would seriously check the through hulls and verify the valves are all ball, not gate style. No electronics listed, so bring your navionics, a hand held gps and some paper charts. You'll want to update that VHF radio, and add a tillerpilot. New batteries wouldn't hurt either. Personally, I would drop in a new origo stove that fits perfectly in the cutout left from that old stove.

So, I give it a YES...BUY IT...review. If it were local to me I'd be all over it. Thats the real dealbreaker for you...its too far from your home. As others have said, by the time you add in some plane tickets and trucking, you'll have spent more to get it home than the cost of the boat.

If you were ready to go though...a week, some new gear (listed above) and you could head east through the great lakes (easy sailing) to the erie canal to the Hudson river and NYC. From there you could go anywhere...Bermuda, Bahamas, wherever the wind blows you.

Nice boat. Please let us know how it goes.
Come on lets get real. Buying what looks to be a nice boat for 6K that far from home is not smart unless you plan on changing where home is or plan to go cruising as a life style and can afford it. Somehow that does not sound like the intention or the budget.

I wish the seller and the prospective buyer well. Maybe the post will get the seller some interest and the buyer looking closer to home..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 14:22   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

Good looking boat, looks well maintained and that's over half the battle. I would consider shipping her instead of the trip... because on a 27' boat, it's not so much fun.... especially with the mast down, which you'll have to do.

I'd head on over to look at her, but I am out of state until May!

Carl
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 15:39   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
I suspect it will be one of those, all to common, cases where the initial purchase price turns out to be a fraction of the overall cost of the "ready to sail" boat.
I feel pretty good about it being ready to sail, but I also suspect I'll have to put 100-150% of the purchase price into making the boat offshore ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrmt2 View Post
I live in northern Michigan. I may be able to help you. I could also give you the name of a very good surveyor. Where is the boat located?
Thank you! The boat is in Charlevoix. I'll send you a PM and we can discuss things once I'm pretty confident its a solid boat.

Quote:
However...no furling, and I bet the sails are in "well used" condition. If there were newer sails, they would have been mentioned. And that diesel likely could use a visit from a mechanic before I would trust my life to it. And I would seriously check the through hulls and verify the valves are all ball, not gate style. No electronics listed, so bring your navionics, a hand held gps and some paper charts. You'll want to update that VHF radio, and add a tillerpilot. New batteries wouldn't hurt either. Personally, I would drop in a new origo stove that fits perfectly in the cutout left from that old stove.
Yeah, it's not offshore ready, but these are all items (minus the through hulls and possibly engine parts) that are easily addressed. I'd probably get a tiller pilot for when I'm motoring or for when winds are light, but otherwise I plan on building something along the lines of the Hebridean wind vane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Come on lets get real. Buying what looks to be a nice boat for 6K that far from home is not smart unless you plan on changing where home is or plan to go cruising as a life style and can afford it. Somehow that does not sound like the intention or the budget.
What is "home" anyway? Sure, I'd absolutely prefer a boat closer to where I currently am, just for convenience. But if the right boat is a little further, I don't mind the drive.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 15:42   #19

Boat: 1939 Richardson Cruisabout 33

We bought our Tartan 37 in the Chesapeake, then had it shipped to Ohio. We were considering taking it home through the Erie canal, but knowing little about the boat, we had no trust of the old rigging and engine. In hindsight it may have made it, but it did need a new exhaust riser. Engine trouble does not occur when its convenient and can cost you dearly.
Because of this we had it shipped. I think it was $5,500.
Since your boat is only 27' there may be more shipping options as it wouldn't need as big of a trailer as our shipper used.
The boat looks good in pictures, but you sure you don't want to just find something local for the price of that boat + shipping? If you can go with a 30'-33' boat life gets a lot easier.
Kentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 15:51   #20

I live about 45 minutes from Charlevoix and,keep my boat at the other end,of Lake Charlevoix. Would be happy to take a look if you want.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 16:44   #21

Boat: TY37, formerly Paceship PY26

Ryban, I bought a PY26 in Detroit last year--I'm in Alaska. The first one I personally looked at, and it is very, very sweet. My plan is down the Erie Canal. Logistic are tough so far, but I just booked tickets for 3 weeks next month...
Main problem is that I am so far away and I think about it every single day all day onandonandIwishICouldTouchItAndSnuggleItAndWorkOnM yListand....
(Do it)
Pat_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 16:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentb View Post
The boat looks good in pictures, but you sure you don't want to just find something local for the price of that boat + shipping? If you can go with a 30'-33' boat life gets a lot easier.
I'm looking locally too, and if there's something good in Califnornia or Washington that catches my eye first, I'd go with that. I don't want to move up in size too much just because of how the economics scale when it comes to fixing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
I live about 45 minutes from Charlevoix and,keep my boat at the other end,of Lake Charlevoix. Would be happy to take a look if you want.
Thank you! I'll send you a PM when/if that time comes and we can discuss things.

---

What are people's thoughts on the rigging? The post says it has its original rigging -- isn't this an item that usually gets replaced every 10 years or so? I'd probably replace the standing rigging on almost any boat I wind up with, though.
Old 23-03-2017, 16:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_D View Post
Ryban, I bought a PY26 in Detroit last year--I'm in Alaska. The first one I personally looked at, and it is very, very sweet. My plan is down the Erie Canal. Logistic are tough so far, but I just booked tickets for 3 weeks next month...
Where are you taking it ultimately? Back to Alaska, or down to the Bahamas?
Old 23-03-2017, 16:58   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_D View Post
Main problem is that I am so far away and I think about it every single day all day onandonandIwishICouldTouchItAndSnuggleItAndWorkOnM yListand....
(Do it)
I had a paceship 29, and always thought the PY26 was a much sweeter boat. IMHO you chose well. In all likelyhood you will have a great trip. And I read recently that the erie canal is FREE this year, so your timing is excellent!

If I lived a little closer, I'd lend you a hand...I'm just one great lake over.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 17:04   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
What are people's thoughts on the rigging? The post says it has its original rigging -- isn't this an item that usually gets replaced every 10 years or so? I'd probably replace the standing rigging on almost any boat I wind up with, though.
You are correct. Any boat of that vintage with original standing rigging should have the standing rigging replaced. Even on a freshwater boat.

Most manufacturers will tell you a 10 year life span, but 25 years seems common for well maintained boats. And even longer for fresh water boats. But at 40 years, I'd definitely want new standing rigging.

FWIW, open body turnbuckles last much longer than closed body turnbuckles. I mention this because turnbuckle failure has caused the loss of the mast on 2 boats I know personally. In this case, both MIRAGE sailboats, different models, different years, same old turnbuckles.

The good news is that replacing the standing rigging on a 27 foot sailboat is not that expensive...I'm going to guess well under $1000. Can anyone offer a better number based on personal experience?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 17:25   #26

Quote:
The good news is that replacing the standing rigging on a 27 foot sailboat is not that expensive...I'm going to guess well under $1000. Can anyone offer a better number based on personal experience?
That's the figure I had in my mind. About $1000, and I'd definitely go with open turnbuckles.
Old 23-03-2017, 17:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Where are you taking it ultimately? Back to Alaska, or down to the Bahamas?
Alaska is last on my list. I've fished these waters many years. Headed to the Atlantic and south, see if I can bear the heat in the Caribbean, maybe base it out of Florida. After that, the world.

I'm considering the 26' (9 1/2' beam) as about the smallest for a (part-time) live aboard couple. May size up some day. I'm pretty new to the "sail" part of boating, and am eager to see what works.

Also, I bought the boat from an older couple that are no longer sailing. Great benefit--they gave me everything nautical they owned, I'm flooded with stuff (including a trailer).
Old 23-03-2017, 17:34   #28

Quote:
If I lived a little closer, I'd lend you a hand...I'm just one great lake over.
Yep, I'll be single-handing this time across Lake Erie (wind etc. permitting)
but hitchhikers welcome
Old 23-03-2017, 18:23   #29

Boat: Oday 25
Re: Tartan 30 in NY

There is a Tartan 30 1973 for sale at the Nyack Boat Club. He was asking $12K but is now probably negotiable. I know he took home the 1st place trophy with this boat in 2014. Owner's number is 845 558 7110 If you're interested. Boat is now on a cradle in our yard and will be launched next month
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 20:08   #30

those engines are problematic and the cost of a replacement should be factored in.
very unlikely to last the trip you are considering plus parts problems.
I lived on one for 3 years and consider it too small for 2.
mk
mkriley is offline   Reply With Quote