Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 16:44   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Tartan 27 in MI

I've got my eyes on this Tartan 27:
https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/6039104933.html

and I'm talking to the owners. The boat seems to be in good shape, and there are no (reported) hull issues or major deck issues.

I'll be giving them a call to discuss things further. What are you guys' thoughts based on the photos?

Anyone in N. Michigan?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:20   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Tartan 27 in MI

Long way to truck a boat or are you coming to the boat? Looks like a nice boat from the pictures.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Long way to truck a boat or are you coming to the boat? Looks like a nice boat from the pictures.
I'd be coming to the boat. I'd probably sail it down Lake Michigan and toward the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico over the summer. Then either do some coastal cruising down there, or spend the hurricane season doing a refit and saving up some money. From there it'd be the Bahamas, through the canal, and the South Pacific.
Old 22-03-2017, 17:55   #4

That would be a fun trip. I'm south of the boat so not close to take a look for you. Launch season is getting close though. We go in the 7th of April, are they still using/launching this coming spring?
Old 22-03-2017, 18:08   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

You'd be surprised how inexpensive shipping boats is. Someone I talked to today was interested in a Catalina tall rig we have for sale in pristine condition and got a quote from uShip for $3,200 or something like that
That's from Annapolis, MD-> the northern tip of Idaho!

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 19:19   #6

We had our G50 shipped from Cincinnati Ohio to Holland Michigan. Think it was under $5000. But shipping a $6000 boat very far wouldn't​ make much sense.
Old 22-03-2017, 19:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
We had our G50 shipped from Cincinnati Ohio to Holland Michigan. Think it was under $5000. But shipping a $6000 boat very far wouldn't​ make much sense.
Exactly. The only reason I might consider having a boat shipped is so that I can avoid having to go through the Canal if my intention is to head West anyway.
Old 23-03-2017, 09:32   #8

Boat: Seaward 25

Could be a great boat if it were close by. I don't think it is realistic to think you will buy it, launch it and sail away. It is, after all, an almost 40 year old boat. By the time you throw in cost of plane tickets to view, rental of a storage yard or slip for refit, launch/move fees plus cost of said refit and hassle of getting it done while you are either still in Portland or trying to live aboard it becomes less and less attractive.

I suspect it will be one of those, all to common, cases where the initial purchase price turns out to be a fraction of the overall cost of the "ready to sail" boat. On the other hand, this might be one of those boats whose value will increase with the investment of some money. Probably not on a one for one basis but not as dire as spending the money on say a Catalina 30 or some such.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:45   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I've got my eyes on this Tartan 27:
https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/6039104933.html

and I'm talking to the owners. The boat seems to be in good shape, and there are no (reported) hull issues or major deck issues.

I'll be giving them a call to discuss things further. What are you guys' thoughts based on the photos?

Anyone in N. Michigan?
From the pics it looks to be a well maintained boat and worth a look at that price. ? you appear to be in Oregon and the bout is in Michigan? That is a long sail.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:59   #10

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Looks very nice. Hopefully everything is as well maintained as the pictures seem to show.

Good luck. I know a guy with one and he enjoys sailing it.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 10:16   #11

That boat looks pretty nice, especially for it's age. I like t27. I would investigate the availability of Faryman diesel parts though..... that may be a problem...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 10:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureStories View Post
You'd be surprised how inexpensive shipping boats is. Someone I talked to today was interested in a Catalina tall rig we have for sale in pristine condition and got a quote from uShip for $3,200 or something like that
That's from Annapolis, MD-> the northern tip of Idaho!
I wouldn't count on that. I got a quote of $11000 to WA and that was 8 years ago!
I definitely wouldnt ship a $6k boat across the country.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 10:26   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I wouldn't count on that. I got a quote of $11000 to WA and that was 8 years ago!
I definitely wouldnt ship a $6k boat across the country.
You are expressing common sense.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 11:31   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS

I live in northern Michigan. I may be able to help you. I could also give you the name of a very good surveyor. Where is the boat located?
drrmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 12:43   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I think it looks excellent! Very clean, obviously cared for. The pride of ownership is obvious. Almost full keel with supported rudder looks good for blue water. Super shallow draft would be great in the Bahamas...or anywhere known for thin water (like the 1000 islands of Lake Ontario). Tartan has a good reputation for solid boats from that era.

I think you could likely splash that boat and sail away. And at that price, its a really good deal.

However...no furling, and I bet the sails are in "well used" condition. If there were newer sails, they would have been mentioned. And that diesel likely could use a visit from a mechanic before I would trust my life to it. And I would seriously check the through hulls and verify the valves are all ball, not gate style. No electronics listed, so bring your navionics, a hand held gps and some paper charts. You'll want to update that VHF radio, and add a tillerpilot. New batteries wouldn't hurt either. Personally, I would drop in a new origo stove that fits perfectly in the cutout left from that old stove.

So, I give it a YES...BUY IT...review. If it were local to me I'd be all over it. Thats the real dealbreaker for you...its too far from your home. As others have said, by the time you add in some plane tickets and trucking, you'll have spent more to get it home than the cost of the boat.

If you were ready to go though...a week, some new gear (listed above) and you could head east through the great lakes (easy sailing) to the erie canal to the Hudson river and NYC. From there you could go anywhere...Bermuda, Bahamas, wherever the wind blows you.

Nice boat. Please let us know how it goes.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote