Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2020, 00:58   #16

Re: tartan 34C yawl vs wellington 47 ketch

Hi Jim seems like you miss the part where i said that ill spend the next year prepping for the trip, this include coastal cruiser, courses , training, drills.. with all my gigs canceled due the virus, my wife losing her job due to an outbreak of racism and after paying all my taxes im not allowed to apply for unemployment benefits cuz i might be deported for being out of status you can't imagine the anger and frustration im dealing with right no ,i don't have many options... i won't tolerate a guy like eleuthera asking if i hate my dogs.
of course right now all the ports and borders are closed but my actual revenue won't be enough to keep the life i have in DTLA, i'll lose my cars, ill default my lease and before become a homeless in this filthy city like LA we rather get a boat an anchor in Mexico if we need, i won't risk to leave my dogs behind because me or my wife have been deported, NO im not a wetback, im legal in the country and I've been paying my taxes, so me and my wife after a couple week of debating during the isolation we both agree that we rather die in the ocean than been capitalism's slaves where we are not even allowed to get sick , when i decided to leave my **** hole country 10 years ago most of my peer laughed at me when i told them that i was coming to hollywood to work with big rockstars , now the see me like a hero cuz i did everything i told them i was coming to do, but homesickness and stress destroyed my mental strength a couple of years a go and lead me into a heavy depression where i even tried to kill myself a few weeks back , now with my ears falling due stress is my time to change this life. I crushed my depression the day i decided to accomplish this, half of my studio has been sold now so there is no return, there is no return to my depression, there is no return to the music business BS that got me sick , im upset with this president because a moron like him destroyed my country 20 years ago and im not gonna sit and watch this place burn, 2020 America isn't a place for emigrants , trump destroyed the american dream and turned into an american hoax, my visa is a O1 visa, im an alien with special abilities and according to your government im some kind of genius, i might have grammar hiccups but i learned your language in 3 months or less, i became the chief engineer to one of the most legendaries studios in the usa with two months since i got here, and i mixed on tour around the world the oldest rock n roll band in america: ZZ Top,i know what it means to come from nothing i came for advices about the boats cuz i need to figure the right boat asap so i can give my 30 day notice to my building and lock a slip before my credit score goes to hell after the bank take my cars, im not being hostile im just trying to keep my family in one place for good or for bad but thats a hard thing to understand for the ones who got spoiled by america white privileges.

my bad for coming for advice to the sailing forum where Bob Perry was banned.
waipea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 02:36   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
my bad for coming for advice to the sailing forum where Bob Perry was banned.
No, your bad for not listening to the advice that you got.

I am sorry to hear of your distress with the situation, but railing against the facts of life won't help you escape them. Buy a coastal level move aboard (if you can find a live aboard berth and begin to learn the things you need to know before setting off.

This is sound advice, albeit not quite what you were hoping for. Ignore it if you will.

I'm gonna bow out now, wishing you a good outcome. Bob Perry is a good NA and a nice guy, but would not follow the rules of the site. His contributions are missed, but no one is exempt from the rules of good conduct here.

I hope you can find a way out of your dilemma.

Jim
Old 29-03-2020, 02:49   #18

with the markets crashing the way are crashing the boat i gonna buy now it has to be the one i gonna take in a year from now, buying a coastal level to sell it for half of what i spend in a year from now and try to buy the cruiser to then refit doesn't sound like smart move, i rather get a cruiser with good bones and put the sweat equity to make it ocean ready while i get my self and my crew ready by sailing to catalina and around the coast.. i just need to know what bones i need to get.

thanks
Old 29-03-2020, 03:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Waipea -

Here is a good boat that I have personally seen. Owner was getting it ready to sail to Australia and had a change of plans. He did extensive work on refitting it - even all the sails are brand new - it would not take much time nor money to prepare it for an extended cruise, and it is a good, stable offshore design by Bob Perry: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...utter-3604225/
Go have a look at that one maybe...it sounds like it might work for you and at least the design has a accepted offshore credibility...lotta work already been done. Yes wood maintenance, but you are an artist right? You'll need something of beauty to maintain.
Good luck mate, maybe when this crazy is over we will see you one day down here in Aus?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 04:54   #20

Boat: Fisher 37

When you’ve hit rock bottom then the only way is up. Take a chance. Buy the boat that speaks to you. Everyone has a different idea on what is good or bad only you can know what works for you and your loved ones. Go sailing. Learn. See where you end up. Don’t try to eat the whole elephant with RTW dreams. It’s about the journey. Go somewhere. If you like it stay until you don’t. Repeat.

All the best.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 09:21   #21

A Yawl rig is not known for its windward sailing abilities. And you will be doing quite a bit of that.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 09:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
A Yawl rig is not known for its windward sailing abilities. And you will be doing quite a bit of that.
what would you advice, a sloop? Cutter?

last night a catalina 38 ss showed on local craigslist
Old 29-03-2020, 09:49   #23

A sloop. That is a better windward rig. “ Cutter “ rigged sloop normally refers to having two smaller headsails than one big one. Having said that most yachts these days have furling headsails which are great for shorthanded sailing.
Old 29-03-2020, 09:54   #24

A Catalina 38 would do fine.
Old 29-03-2020, 10:02   #25

Boat: Pearson 34-2

If money is an issue, then the Tartan 34 is a good choice. I am allergic to dogs, so have no experience with that. But the Wellington will be a MUCH more costlier boat to maintain. We have a Pearson 34-2, which we chose as a good compromise between room and cost to maintain. Will will find out if we made a good choice, but so far we are happy. But we have no pets either.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:10   #26

Quote: “It is not that I don't wish you well...”

Precisely! Like Ann, everyone here wishes you well, and the STRONG notes of caution expressed here are EXACTLY because we DO wish you well and would feel remiss, now that you have joined us, if we let you merrily barge ahead into something far more demanding of knowledge and of cash than most “newbies” realize, or even CAN realize!

Quote: “Go on line, see if you can figure out how much running rigging would cost for the 47 footer, compared to the Tartan. It will be a peek into how much more it will cost to run a 47 foot boat than a Tartan 36.”

Let me try to get you thinking along realistic lines: If you buy a 36 footer in “average” condition for, say, 50 grand, you must count on spending ANOTHER thirty grand on getting her fit to cruise even along the California Coast, let alone transoceanic. While you deal with that, keeping her will cost you about 15K a year. That's just OWNERSHIP COSTS . That's in addition to the upgrade costs.

So your “admissions fee” for the game you wish to enter is a MINIMUM of 95 grand, which you should have in CASH, otherwise not spoken for, in the bank before you even commit to the purchase of the boat. For a 47 footer count on 150 grand!

Once you have the boat in “sailable” condition (“fit for her intended trade” to use the old term), count on two years of local cruising to “get to know her” so you can work harmoniously with her and can feel secure that you can handle her in “weather”

All the best to you!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:17   #27

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

For the sake of the dogs...leave the dogs behind. It is selfish and cruel to bring dogs on a long sea voyage on a small boat. If you must have a pet, get a chicken.

I like the Tartan 34C. Its a solid, well built boat. But the best feature is the shallow draft. That's great for shallow areas like the Bahamas and the 1000 islands...but not great for ocean passages. There are lots of other older boats more suited to a circumnavigation.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:23   #28

OK, Guys i discarded the Big 47.. last night a C38SS came to the market . now we are talking 2 similar size boats, with a small difference in price, the C38 is 8 years newer than the Tartan 34. but i read it has an IOR heritage. the lack of a skeg in the rudder is something that i should be concern about it since a hydrovane is on my list of add on?
Old 29-03-2020, 10:24   #29

there i also a LOT of Ericson 35 for sale in my area is a boat that i should consider to take a look that could match the profile??
Old 29-03-2020, 10:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
For the sake of the dogs...leave the dogs behind. It is selfish and cruel to bring dogs on a long sea voyage on a small boat. If you must have a pet, get a chicken.
OK let me make this clear, this dogs are the children that me and my wife will never have, leave then behind to die in a shelter is not an option, Would you left your kids behind to die? we have NO family in the States is just the 4 of us, No wonder why most people in this country see as a normal the detention centers in the US border where brown families are torn apart.

Tags
ketch