Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2020, 10:44   #31

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser
Re: tartan 34C yawl vs wellington 47 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by waipea View Post
why should i consider a catalina when even Butler said that his boats were not made for off shore? i would like to hear your opinions, i heard that the ones designed by SS where better than other catalinas, but i might be wrong .
I owned and sailed a Catalina 36 for many years in the coastal waters of Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. It crossed the Columbia River bar numerous times. It dealt with the rough seas and strong winds so typical of this region. The boat did everything I asked of it. And while I never did a bluewater crossing with the boat, several Catalina 36s have successfully circumnavigated. I am certainly not trying to convince you that the C36 is the boat for the job, but I am saying that there are many boats out there that are capable of the trip you propose. It is usually not the boat which is the weak link in longer ocean passages.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:54   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
OK let me make this clear, this dogs are the children that me and my wife will never have, leave then behind to die in a shelter is not an option, Would you left your kids behind to die?
I understand your feelings for your dogs. We have had dogs as members of our family in the past and would never give them up or treat them badly. And no one has said or even hinted that you should leave your dogs to die in a shelter. No one.

But if you do love your dogs like family you will not subject them to living on a small boat and especially you will not take them on long ocean passages. Dogs in general and especially your dogs are not happy to live in small spaces for long periods. To force them to do so would be cruel to the dogs.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 15:42   #33

Boat: Leopard 45

I can't imagine a better boat for what you have suggested than the HC34 Lazerbrains suggested : https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...utter-3604225/ It is far more sea worthy than either the Tartan or the Wellington you suggested. the price is also way under market for a comparable blue water cruiser. I would advise you buy it and continue to develop your skills by sailing to the Chanel Islands for an adventure in which you will still be in California and not need quarantine for you four legged friends. It will also give you a taste for what the future might bring on longer passages and whether the four of you would be compatible on those journeys. Continue up and down the coast of the US for a few months until the covid 19 virus becomes history. If by then you think the sailing life works for the four of you do some research as to what ports are dog friendly. If the experiment doesn't work out, you won't have any trouble selling a HC34 for close to what you bought it for.
Cheers and best of luck with your adventure.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 17:29   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Some posts that were off topic have been removed. Let's stick to boat discussion. Until they happen, we don't know exactly what travel restrictions will be placed within California.

The issue of the dogs' well being is a real one, however, and I hope waipea can come to a reasoned decision for them. They really are too high energy for a 38 ft. boat, and they won't be allowed ashore everywhere.

As to the boat, a Yankee 38 or a Catalina 38 might do okay, have seen some out here in the old days. There likely will be things needed to beef them up a bit. That's what everyone used to do. Fix the weaknesses in their boats before they broke, to make them suitable to go cruising. Indeed, it is what Jim did to his Yankee 30.

Ann
Old 29-03-2020, 17:29   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't know what size dogs you had but cruised with a Labrador and a cat on our W32. Dog had no problem being on the boat while cruising SoCal and to the Marquesas. Unfortunately there was a virulent form of distemper in the Islands that she hadn't been vaccinated against and it killed her. Don't know if I'd want to go with two dogs though we almost did. Our dog had a litter of 7 puppies on board and thought we weren't going to be able to find a home for the last one. Fortunately a couple of weeks before we left someone took the by then 6 month old puppy.

Any boat is a compromise. You'll have a very good sailing boat in the T34C but it's not overly large and you'll have to make changes to fit the two of you in with your pooches. No big thing if you are into it but you will have to adapt to make it work. When I got back into sailing a couple of decades ago, the T34C was my first choice boat. Unfortunately there were none for sail on the Left Coast so settled on a Pearson35 of roughly the same vintage. Would make you a deal on it but you'd have to get your dogs to Kona to get on board.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 18:53   #36

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
A Yawl rig is not known for its windward sailing abilities. And you will be doing quite a bit of that.
Not sure I agree with that if you are doing a westward circumnavigation. This guy is asking for advice, the least we can do is give him accurate information as most people here have said. Listening to your plans I think the biggest problem will be with your dogs, even if they adjust to life onboard which is far from a given. It is not ports that have restrictions and quarantines, it is countries - Australia and New Zealand come to mind. I think you will find restrictions just about everywhere. We met a boat with a lovely standard poodle in the Caribbean and they had spent $2000 in less than six months and they started with a pet passport (I did not even know there was such a thing). Don't want to rain on your parade but the facts are the facts.
Old 29-03-2020, 19:10   #37

[QUOTE=roverhi;3104774]Don't know what size dogs you had but cruised with a Labrador and a cat on our W32. Dog had no problem being on the boat while cruising SoCal and to the Marquesas. Unfortunately there was a virulent form of distemper in the Islands that she hadn't been vaccinated against and it killed her.

Sorry to heard about your lab, there is nothing that can affect me more than this histories, i don't even see movies with dogs for fear of what could happened to them, this information is priceless thank you very much, I'm sharing this info with my wife and asking to my vet right away. thanks

about the tartan one of the guys here pointed some very interested its been in the market for almost 2 years, i know the listing is priced high compared to other tartans in the US. but i just came back from see a Pearson 365 in long beach, it was modified to be a sloop , the boat itself looks better than the tartan , it has new sail, a yanmar engine with 700 Hr on it ,the fuel tank was replaced too, a very nice dodger and Bimini , it need some TLC but nothing that i could be scare, my wife liked the cabin way more than the one in the tartan, bigger galley, head with shower, hot water, it has some basic electronics electronic, a davits, i spoke with the broker and there is a guy in front of me that will be realizing a survey tomorrows put an offer on it and if the deal falls ill be the first in line.. since you have some experience on the Pearson what is something that i should be looking for, the good , the bad , the ugly. to my eye everything looked fine, the base of the mast was redone already i heard that was a weak point for this boats, but seem like the previous owner put some money on the boat in the last 14 years he owned it.

Ann thank for the input , if i this pearson doesn't come to me i would like to heard what are the points to reinforce on the c38, I'm already been searching about it. i wrote to the guy with the CH34 but i haven't heard from him yet..im already drawing a little machine that i can use to exercise my dogs once i close the deal in the boat ill do a little prototype

thanks for info and input
waipea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 19:21   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
- Australia and New Zealand come to mind. I think you will find restrictions just about everywhere. We met a boat with a lovely standard poodle in the Caribbean and they had spent $2000 in less than six months and they started with a pet passport (I did not even know there was such a thing). Don't want to rain on your parade but the facts are the facts.
we are aware of the dog passport situation we already have our vets working on, the easiest way is to get the passport in the US since is more pricey in the caribbean, i knew about NZ, i didn't about australia i knew that places like jamaica are savages and they kill the animals so we are making our black list if you guys a list of countries the countries to avoid it will be very welcome, i know once i get to my final destination in Los Roques i won't have any problem with the dogs

thanks
Old 29-03-2020, 19:41   #39

Boat: Gulfstar 37

The Pearson 365 is a nice boat, but it was designed to be a coastal cruiser, not an offshore passagemaker. The same can be said for Catalinas - I was in a Catalina 36 in 30+ knts before and saw firsthand how much it creaked and leaked - fantastic boats but would not be a wise choice for offshore. The problem with offshore passagemaking is that you are sailing 24hrs a day, for weeks at a time, which puts a lot of repeat stressing on a boat and it's parts. Furthermore, you can't go get parts to fix it in the middle of the ocean - you need to choose carefully a boat that is built sturdy and with offshore sailing in mind. The one I sent you earlier is a good example of an offshore design, and there are many many others. Keep in mind that the cabin layout and cockpit that looks appealing to the wife will often not be the best one for offshore work.

Here is a good article to read about offshore designs, and it also has a good list of boats you could search for: http://www.mahina.com/cruise.html
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 20:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
The one I sent you earlier is a good example of an offshore design, and there are many many others. .

Here is a good article to read about offshore designs, and it also has a good list of boats you could search for: Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
yes i email to that listing you sent me, i haven't heard from the seller yet, let see if tomorrow monday get back to me, i have read the mahina website, very informative.

thanks
Old 30-03-2020, 08:06   #41

Boat: Shannon 38

Dogs on aa boat is a complete non-starter. You must give up one or the other. If you elect to give up the dogs, the HC34, albeit the teak decks, is an exceptionally adroit passage maker with all of the characteristics that will help to protect such an inexperienced sailor as yourself. A good survey should tell you what you need to know. the low pricing on the boat may well be attributable to the teak so if you are willing to work on it, it could suit you well.
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 09:16   #42

Not giving up to any of those. I'm still waiting to heard from the HC34
Old 03-04-2020, 07:48   #43

Quote:
No wonder why most people in this country see as a normal the detention centers in the US border where brown families are torn apart.

No concept of what’s really happening and you won’t even acknowledge the advice you’ve been given. If you break the laws of a country you are put in jail. You won’t be in the same cell as your wife. That’s not a US thing. That’s a harsh reality of the WORLD!! Whether you agree with the laws of a country or not. You still have to abide by them. Most of the emigration situation in the US is from policies put in place well over 6 years ago. I’ll wait while you figure out who was president then.
Mike1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:49   #44

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Not giving up to any of those. I'm still waiting to heard from the HC34
I agree that the Hans Christian 34 is a good choice for long distance cruising, but several others would be suitable.

The choice of one boat or the other is not the real issue.

The issue is that your plan is probably doomed:

Dogs (two on a small boat)
Lack of experience (partner never sailed)
Dogs
Low budget
Dogs

And I have to say that your attitude that you're going ahead with it despite the well meaning advice from many experienced people indicates trouble ahead in my opinion. If we told you that you couldn't drive down the freeway because there is a roadblock ahead, would you say, "I don't care, I'm going to anyway."?

I wish you luck and I hope you find peace with all of this, but it seems like you are thinking that you can escape from the harsh reality of living in LA by getting on a boat with your wife and dogs and sailing away. It's actually a pipe dream.

Sorry.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:25   #45

If you are willing to stay in the US, then I would suggest an RV and some extended camping. It would fit your budget and be equally as escapist. It would likely end up being pleasant.
With luck you are beginning to understand you have no chance of sailing around the world with your current plan
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch