Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2020, 06:32   #1

Boat: Tartan 3700
Tartan 3700 Emergency Tiller

I have a 2007 Tartan 3700 and recently discovered that the emergency tiller arm appears to be too long. The emergency tiller is an aluminum pipe fitted down through the seat behind the helm with small cutouts that lock it in place on top of the rudder post. Even though the tiller arm welded on to it is relatively small, it still appears that when fitted with the arm facing forward, the arm is too long and will not clear the helm post when turning. I can fit it with the tiller arm facing out the stern, but this seems like a particularly awkward way to try and steer. All equipment appears original and I'm wondering if I'm just missing something -- either a part or just how it is supposed to be fitted. I'm thinking about cutting a few inches off the arm to get it to fit, but thought I'd ask the question first.

I realize a picture would help, but I just don't currently have one.
christianbarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:55   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Tartan 3700 Emergency Tiller

The manufacturer most probably intended it to be used mounted with the arm backwards. I read a story of a new yacht that lost steering in the Med and the 2 on board had to manually steer this way for 2 days to get to port!!!
If you shorten the arm to use it the other way I would plan on attaching a line on the stub that would go over 2 friction points or blocks and make a closed loop port to starboard for less crew fatigue in an emergency.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc