Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 21:27   #1

Taswell 49

Hello everyone, I am a new member and soon to be boat owner for the second time. I am looking at a Taswell 49 sloop and am wondering if there is anyone that has had experience sailing one. How does it track how does it perform. ? Any advice or opinion would be welcomed.
guyluckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 15:04   #2

Re: Taswell 49

I've owned and lived on a Taswell 49 (s/v Vision) since June 2007 while cruising the Eastern Caribbean and Chesapeake. Prior to purchasing this boat we were considering Hylas, Passport, Bristol and Oyster of similar or slightly larger size. We spent about 3 years talking directly with and communicating with cruisers, yacht yards and broakers. Based on their experiences and knowledgable brokers we decided on the Taswell 49. I could go on and on about the quality, sailing characteristics and engineering of this boat but perhaps the most telling thing I can say is that if I had to do it all over again, without a second thought I'd select the same boat.

Due to parents health issues and the birth of our first grand daughter, we've recently moved on land and the boat is for sale through Annapolis Sailyard (Rich Kahn) for $449K. Rich is a former US east coast distributor for Taswell, owner of another Ta Shing built boat and can tell you a great deal about the Taswell marine architect, manufacturer, the Taswell line in general and our boat specifically. If you have specific question about the Taswell 49 or Vision I would be happy to try and answer them.
visionatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 10:43   #3

I've been cruising for over 12 years. The Taswell 49 was and still is my dream boat. If I could have afforded it, I would have purchased one. I've seen Vision in The Grenadines---she's a pretty boat!
worldcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 09:00   #4

Boat: 50' sloop

Hello Guyluckk,

We love our Taswell. We've lived aboard four - six months each year since building her and taking possession in 2000. (We first saw a one year old 56 Taswell at the Newport Boat Show.)

The lay out is perfect for us and the forward area accommodates several guests comfortably. The two king sized berths fore and aft are wonderful with good sized separate showers for boat living comfort.

Her weight causes her to ride slower than lighter weighted boats, but she's sturdy and strong and no sissy in higher winds. She handles beautifully. Ooh, riding with a following sea in 18 - 30 knots is invigorating and feels like sledding over snow at high speed. (fun...fun)

We, too, worked with Rich Kahn, and couldn't be happier with his guidance, candor and input throughout our shopping and ultimate build process.

Every boat is a compromise. Taswell is a capable long term cruising boat. Our Taswell has never been a disappointment or regret and she's brought us much joy and pleasure.

If I (we) can be of further assistance, please send a private message.

Best regards,
Sailing Mermaid
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 23:12   #5

Thank you Sailing Mermaid.
Did you find the cockpit area a bit small at times? Are you aware of any problems in the construction of the rudder or skeg area. I must admit that the interior is absolutely beautifully well laid out. What would you say would have been the higher end cruising speed with 20 knots of wind?
guyluckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 06:52   #6

Boat: 50' sloop

Guylukk,

Please pardon this much delayed response. I'm only today, finding this conversation.

To answer your questions, (in case they remain relevant to you),

1 - yes, the cockpit area is small at times although still comfortable. However, the upside of that "small area" is that should we ever get washed/take on a large wave, at least, it would not hold enormous amounts of water to send below, should that "EVER" happen. We upsized our scupper drains to expedite drainage. We rarely have over four persons onboard, so the cockpit has worked well for us.

2 - 13 years - no problems in rudder or skeg area.

3 - speed in 20 knot winds - 7-9 kts.

Again, guylukk, sorry for the delay in reply. Have not followed CF for some time. Hope the info is of help.

Kindest regards, Sailing Mermaid
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 07:23   #7

We have just reduced the price of our semi-custom 1996 Taswell 49 (s/v Vision, cutter rigged, 3 stateroom, w/o teak decks), acknowledged by some brokers as the best Taswell 49 they've seen come on the used boat market. This is a semi custom boat built by Ta Shing of Taiwan, an award of excellence boat builder. It's a boat that has unparalleled build quality, has been maintained to the highest standards and can take you around the world safely and in luxury. Anyone looking for a real value in a blue water cruising boat take a look at this boat on Yacht World and contact me if you have any questions.
visionatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 21:51   #8

We recently purchased a Taswell 49 Hull #39 and are interested to hear from other Taswell owners. We love the vessel, have two young boys and are looking forward to many years of cruising.
4sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 07:58   #9

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Congratulations.

We have owned Hull #21 for 4 years now. Based out of Deltaville Va.

Ours is a two cabin model with non-skid decks, scheel keel, and ICW mast, rigged as a cutter with in mast roller furling main.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote