Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16   #31

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by West star View Post
destructive testing.
anywhere there is wood core, drill a 3/8" hole. take some marinetek for the repair. smell the hole, is it rotted? if so then you have water in the wood. it can be repaired, but is time consuming, and expensive for the epoxy.
I think that I'll hold off on. Maybe during the survey. But I'm not drilling holes in someone else's boat.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:27   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post
Kevin,
If you do a survey you'll have to do a short haul to inspect below the waterline. We purchased our boat on the hard in the middle of winter, but we found one delamination spot that needed to be repaired, so it is important to check. As for the deck joint under the bulwark i have heard of some owners taking the caprail off and glassing in there, but thats no small job! Hopefully she'll have no leaks. You might just start with cleaning out all the old caulk and reapplying new. Just look for water staining below decks in the cabinets and around the chainplates, that should tell the story.
Also if you do a google search for some of these topics i'm sure you'll find more information, but i'll also be happy to answer any questions.

Dave
Thanks Dave! If we decide that this very possibly could be the boat for us, we fully intend to have a survey done. At that point, I'll check out below the waterline. This will be the first TY37 that we've been on, so until we get aboard and look at her, a survey just doesn't make sense. Esp since Tayanas all have semi custom interiors. If we like what we see, then we'll spring for the haul out and survey.

Also, spoke to the owner again, she was ordered from the factory with fiberglass decks, so no teak. The cockpit is teak, buy I'm fine with that. He also specifically specified spruce mast and boom as he felt it was more appropriate for long distance cruising due to ease of repairs in foreign ports. Of course, now aluminum is pretty common, so that's a moot point.

Old 13-01-2014, 10:23   #33

Another question here guys. Apparently the original fuel tank developed a leak. So the owner decommissioned the tank. How hard is it to remove from under the V-berth? Also, when he ditched the 90 gal fuel tank, he converted the shower sump to a temporary tank. So I'm going to need a new sump. He also installed a 27gal fiberglass tank under the quarter berth. Would you guys leave it there or remove it? I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping a fuel tank that far off center. But could just be me.

Old 13-01-2014, 12:28   #34

I forget the blog, but there is one T37 owner that repaired his forward bow tank by cutting holes in the top of it, cleaning it all out and using a special epoxy and fiberglass combo to reseal the tank. It's a lot of work, but basically making a fiberglass tank inside of that one would be a way to fix the problem. If our bow tank goes or when it goes thats the repair we'll do.
As for the tanks being off the center line I wouldn't worry about it too much. Diesel weighs roughly 6lbs per gallon, so at 27gal your only at 162lbs. The bigger issues is that you only have 27 gallons. Motoring time on that, you'll have about 40 hours to call it safe.
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 13:04   #35

Hmmm, that would be interesting. I might do that. Though I was considering pulling it out and using the space as additional storage.

Old 13-01-2014, 14:18   #36

Well, moot point as it turns out. The tank has already been removed. Big plus for me.

Old 15-01-2014, 07:08   #37

Bob Pery thinks that forward tank is a bad idea. It was not his idea.
snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
Bob Pery thinks that forward tank is a bad idea. It was not his idea.
Yeah, I know. He designed the tanks to be under the setees in the salon. Ta Yang moved them up there to give more storage in the salon.

Old 15-01-2014, 08:39   #39

Under the settees and in the top of the keel cavity I think.
snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 18:29   #40

Tayana 37 chain plates are through the deck. If you will Google "replacing Tayana 37 chain plates" on You Tube, you will see the problems as well as the repair. I recommend anyone with a Tayana 37 to see this video. It's an eye opener. . .
eastbyeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 00:01   #41

Boat: Westsail 32

Any preliminary thoughts on this particular 1976 specimen:
1976 Tayana 37 Cutter/Cruising Upgraded Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The price is good for my budget, but I'm more curious about the time and money I'll have to invest (I've watched the chainplate replacement videos -- looks like buckets of fun).
Ryban is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:41   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Any preliminary thoughts on this particular 1976 specimen:
1976 Tayana 37 Cutter/Cruising Upgraded Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The price is good for my budget, but I'm more curious about the time and money I'll have to invest (I've watched the chainplate replacement videos -- looks like buckets of fun).
Wouldn't trust any ad which has a sistership on it's first photo. By the time you're done with the wood repairs and refurbish you'd have to start all over again. All that wood doesn't look like it's been maintained and looks very tired. Even if you get this boat for free you'd still be looking at 100s (1000s?) of hours worth of work if DIY and enormous expense if you hire a pro to do it. Or even if you hire not a pro. When they were putting this boat together 40 years ago the labor/maintenance costs were very different than today so that was not on the builder's radar apparently. However if you end up living in a 3rd World place where you can get the locals for a few $$ a day you may be able to keep her up in decent condition.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 20:11   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Wouldn't trust any ad which has a sistership on it's first photo. By the time you're done with the wood repairs and refurbish you'd have to start all over again. All that wood doesn't look like it's been maintained and looks very tired. Even if you get this boat for free you'd still be looking at 100s (1000s?) of hours worth of work if DIY and enormous expense if you hire a pro to do it. Or even if you hire not a pro. When they were putting this boat together 40 years ago the labor/maintenance costs were very different than today so that was not on the builder's radar apparently. However if you end up living in a 3rd World place where you can get the locals for a few $$ a day you may be able to keep her up in decent condition.
Very true. With these older Balsa cored boats, it is very important to properly go through these vessels carefully. I use a mix of thermal imaging, phenolic hammering, and a calibrated moisture meter to carefully determine the condition of the fiberglass and core. Also of course the machinery and wiring. I find many of the older boats (especially sailboats) with many home projects that can make for costly fixes to make them right. A survey on a boat like this lasts all day. Not unusual for surveys on these older boats to last 8-10 hours to do it right.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tayana 37