Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 08:24   #31

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Tayana 37 v Corbin 39

My boat is a Tayana 42 obviously. But I have friends with T37s. I can attest to the high quality throughout the Tayana boats although as you have acknowledged it comes down to maintenance on any individual boat.

The T37 and T42 are quit different boats from the same yard but different designers. The underwater profile of my T42 is similar to the Corbin's. Longish fin keel with separate skeg hung rudder. My MaxProp is just behind the keel, not in an aperture. I've never picked up a crab pot on it. Maybe I've been lucky. Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud. I'm not suggesting that the Corbin design is therefore better. Just that the crab pot question would not be a determining factor for me.

I've said before that one of the benefits of owning a Tayana is that the shipbuilder is still in business and remains very helpful. That is an invaluable resource.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:31   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Talking to a Surveyor friend in Santa Cruz, Ca. His opinion on cored hulls, no mater what the coring is, that if the f/g lay-up is thin, then the inner and outer skins can "work", de-laminating the hull. I doubt there is a fix for that if the damage was extensive enough.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:23   #33

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

Owner finished and a sail drive do you need more reason to RUN from the Corbin, write about your choice and the reasons why. Shopping for and buying boats is not for the faint of heart. Employ a tough surveyor, then listen to his/her advice. Pearson built a 40 pilot house that was laid out well.
All the best
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:35   #34

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

Guess I would ask the surveyor (JR) about the cored deck "working" as well, almost all decks are cored. We have seen several cored boats that are doing well and are 25-35 years old. More about the core material, no Baltech in the hull, no core below the waterline, solid glass at all thru-hull areas, and a quality builder. Easy, right?
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:59   #35

Boat: Corbin 39

Owning a Corbin but also having sailed a Tayana , there a few differences and a few things stated that are incorrect. After 82 when the Corbin Factory was burnt most of the weakness s of the Corbin were corrected. Mine was built in 83, V drive . The boat is built like a tank . The deck is solid marine ply , overall thickness of the deck is 1.25 inches. Compared to a Tayana the Corbin sails much much better . I prefer the flush decks for going forward I find them less cluttered and easier to move around on. I m able to run my jacklines down the center of the boat no problems . In colder weather , when a lot of my sailing is done, the pilothouse is great . After 82 the cabin height was raised for larger windows and therefore better visibility . I often sit on the top step of the companionway while sailing and have a great visual.
6 dorade vents and 7 opening deck hatches allow an incredible amount of air into the boat .
The boat balances incredibly well and I have not experienced windage issues , the freeboard is about 50 inches at its highest point.
My Perkins 4.2 is below the cockpit which opens from above and I have had 3 guys in it working on the engine, there is an incredible amount of room to get all around the engine.
Drawback? The Corbin chain locker sucks , its simply too small on my boat . It can be modified but I have learned to live it. Its really made for just a cruising couple, its more spacious then some 44 ft boats ive been on but its layout does not allow for much privacy. The biggest drawback with a Corbin is you don't know what you re getting because all but 12 were owner finished. Some like mine went back in and was factory finished in 85 .
There both great boats but I feel that I chose correct between the Tayana and Corbin. The Tayana though can be a work of art and that's an attractive feature. As far as sailing though the Corbin offers the comfort and speed I was after , without sacrificing safety offshore.
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Corbin's built up to around 1982 are reputed to suffer from bad weather helm. This was fixed after the deck molds were redesigned with the mast moved forward. Because of the weather helm issue, the least affected boats are the post 82 models with the added bowsprit. Apparently ketches should be avoided as well for the same reason. Another point to note is that the hulls are foam cored.
Tayana 37s have a bit of weather helm, too.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:03   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
We loved our T37 but the teak deck was brutal in hot weather. We finally took them up. They are beautiful and well built.
Agreed. I took my off and the difference was tremendous!
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:13   #38

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Can you guys comment on the overall cost or difficulty of replacing a teak deck with fiberglass? Obviously this can vary widely depending on the extent of damage to the deck from leaks, but rather than rule out boats with old or leaky teak, if I could get a substantial discount after the survey it might be worth considering doing the replacement myself after purchase. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 15:27   #39

Boat: Corbin 39

We bought this freshwater lake Ontario Corbin 39 five years ago.
Here is a video that was sent to my daughter and picture of boat in water last summer.
I can tell you she is solid fiberglass below water line, Arex core water line up, deck is plywood core.
Solid boat that after 35 years doors are still perfict fit, she surprised me with how she gets on her horses at 10kts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-21 10.26.25.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	118782  
Attached Files
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 18:02   #40

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

very nice corbin! unusual interior with the galley moved up. usually the galley is down on the lower level with the main salon!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tayana 37