Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 18:56   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Tayana 42 for Sale in Florida

Im looking at a Tayana 42 in florida that needs a lot work. the engine needs replaced and the teak decks need redone. there has been water damage in the aft cabin sole that has been repaired. the engine is a big pile of rust from water in the boat although the seller said the water never reached the engine. the water damage came from sitting closed up in the heat. the sails have been in storage and are in good shape.

the guy is asking 28000

what do you guys think
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 19:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Do you have the energy, time, space and money?

It's for you to decide.

First it's a lot of work. You'll need to put in a lot of time. Can you find 5,000 hours over the next 3 - 5 years?

Second, do you have somewhere to do the work? Working on a boat on the hard, with good scaffolding, is vastly different to doing the same job in the water. Being on a mooring makes it even harder. Next to your house, easier.

Third, it's going to eat money. You'll need rent, new engine, wood, paint, resin. It's an endless list. Over 3 years you may need to come up with more than $100,000.

And finally, what would a project this big do to your energy? It'll affect relationships, your job and your health.

If you take the money that you'd need to put into this project, put the time into something more constructive (second job, maybe flipping burgers) you'd probably be able to buy a nice boat in top condition.

If you need to build up your skills then a small diesel yacht would do, however if you're house bound for the next 5 years this could be just the ticket.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 19:59   #3

Re: Tayana 42 for sale in Florida

i was hoping to put another 20000 into it. i figured 2000 for a rebuilt or a rebuilt engine. i planned on doing most of the work myself. there is a diy boat far in charlotte that i can do all this in. i do have a few years before we want to go cruising. i just don't see 100000 dollars worth of addition work that needs to be done. I'm not arguing with you, i just need more info.

i just got done sailing a cal 29 down the pacific coast of the baja. plan on sailing up to san carlos on march or may. so i do have another boat. but here in a few years we want to cruise the Carribbean in a tayana 42

thanks
Troy
Old 19-12-2011, 20:10   #4

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

It'll eat money, I know because I'm going through it too.
This week I bought a prop shaft, $1000, an inverter $1000, a charge controller, $400, an alternator, regulator, and battery isolator $700, two more batteries, $250, plus another haul out on the boat that we just splashed two months ago.
This is all on a boat that we're already cruising.
I can't imagine what I would have spent so far if my boat hadn't been in a boatyard that is cutting up boats to scrap every day, lots of good used parts.
Old 19-12-2011, 20:28   #5

hmmm,

Ill do some more research then before i commit to a buy. thank you for your input. i won't see the boat until the middle of January as i am out of the country at the moment.

Troy
Old 20-12-2011, 00:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I haven't had the nerve to add it all up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7046.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	34940  
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 00:31   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I haven't had the nerve to add it all up...
Now that is truly funny!!!
Old 20-12-2011, 03:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmanta View Post
Im looking at a Tayana 42 in florida that needs a lot work. the engine needs replaced and the teak decks need redone. there has been water damage in the aft cabin sole that has been repaired. the engine is a big pile of rust from water in the boat although the seller said the water never reached the engine. the water damage came from sitting closed up in the heat. the sails have been in storage and are in good shape.

the guy is asking 28000

what do you guys think
Helmanta:

You might try Tayana Owners' Group to get boat specific knowledge and advice.

John Kretschsmer's
Used Boat Notebook: From the Pages of Sailing Magazine, Reviews of 40 Used Boats Plus a Detailed Look at Ten Great Used Boats to Sail Around the World

(the 2002 edition) also profiles the Tayana 42 and has some (dated) BUC pricing.

Good luck.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 03:52   #9

Boat: Hunter 430

Without any pictures or other information, that $28,000 number sounds high.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 04:03   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Here is a decent one for sale in Annapolis for $74K ready to go. With the market the way it is I'd make a offer on it, say 50-60K, before investing all the time and money it what you are looking at. My guess is you'd be miles ahead!

1981 Tayana Vancouver 42 CC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 20-12-2011, 05:50   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
There was a 42 tayana on ebay that had a buy it.now of 50k and it was sweet looking boat, loaded with goodies and a low hour diesel a.few months back,,, no one bought it.. Tuff market
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 06:04   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If the teak decking needs replacing then the deck core may also need replacing. Hard to tell until the old decking is removed.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:14   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Do you have the energy, time, space and money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
It's for you to decide.

First it's a lot of work. You'll need to put in a lot of time. Can you find 5,000 hours over the next 3 - 5 years?

Second, do you have somewhere to do the work? Working on a boat on the hard, with good scaffolding, is vastly different to doing the same job in the water. Being on a mooring makes it even harder. Next to your house, easier.

Third, it's going to eat money. You'll need rent, new engine, wood, paint, resin. It's an endless list. Over 3 years you may need to come up with more than $100,000.

And finally, what would a project this big do to your energy? It'll affect relationships, your job and your health.

If you take the money that you'd need to put into this project, put the time into something more constructive (second job, maybe flipping burgers) you'd probably be able to buy a nice boat in top condition.

If you need to build up your skills then a small diesel yacht would do, however if you're house bound for the next 5 years this could be just the ticket.
Compliments to Boracay! That is one of the wisest comments I have read concerning buying a project boat. And, surely the words of experience. Best, Ron
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:11   #14

i should be recieving photos here in a couple of days. I think the only thing major is the engine. There is a yard north of it in Charlette that i can remove the engine and install a rebuilt one or have this one rebuilt. the teak deck, i just dont know.... i dont know if they need pulled or not. i have some photos from the yacht trader website but that is it so far.
Old 20-12-2011, 15:21   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
i should be recieving photos here in a couple of days. I think the only thing major is the engine. There is a yard north of it in Charlette that i can remove the engine and install a rebuilt one or have this one rebuilt. the teak deck, i just dont know.... i dont know if they need pulled or not. i have some photos from the yacht trader website but that is it so far.
All the best of luck to you.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sale