Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you speak teak?
No. Replace it. 5 23.81%
Yes. I'm a teak freak. 8 38.10%
Who are you and how did you get this number? 4 19.05%
I don't understand the question 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 16:01   #31

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Teak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Funny... I don't really have a lot of pics featuring the teak. It's always incidental. Here are a few shots. As you can see, it's far from pristine, which is my point Skip. I'm not very persnickety about how it looks, only that it remains protected (and I'm not always very good on that either ).

If you want it to be perfect all the time, then it takes a lot of effort. If you're aiming for protection and "good enough", then it's not that much effort.
I can tell that it's really beautiful. Glad you have it.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 16:04   #32

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Moonbeam. Deck is fake all else is real.
Mahogany below.
Except the teak and holly sole.
Glass hull, wood/glass deck.

Attachment 237465Attachment 237466Attachment 237467
Mike, notice how much nicer it looks when you tidy up a bit?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 29-04-2021, 16:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
We have that same "fake teak". It's great!

In the pic it's damp so a bit darker than when dry

EDIT: I'll add that it really *feels* like real wood when touching it and walking on it.
That'd be my move.

Then again, I have the sense of tradition God gave a fruit fly.
Old 29-04-2021, 18:22   #34

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

It appears that not a single poster has acknowledged the absolutely critical function teak serves in the proper operation of transoceanic cruising hovercrafts.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 18:47   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Mike, notice how much nicer it looks when you tidy up a bit?
Yeah, I know. I hesitated to post some of those pics. But it's my home, that gets lived in and constantly used. Whatyagonnado??
Old 29-04-2021, 18:56   #36

Boat: Pearson 367

What's wrong with grey teak? My toe rails, rub rails, cockpit combing are all grey. Basically no maintenance. Teak decks are a hard no.
Old 29-04-2021, 19:37   #37

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I hesitated to post some of those pics. But it's my home, that gets lived in and constantly used. Whatyagonnado??
Invite me up, I'll bring the beer and a dust mop, git her done in an hour or so
Old 29-04-2021, 19:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
What's wrong with grey teak? My toe rails, rub rails, cockpit combing are all grey. Basically no maintenance. Teak decks are a hard no.
In Massachusetts, we left our cedar shingles weather to grey. You have to replace them when the moss causes them to rot (you can see some of those behind the green railing...)

So i get the aesthetic.

Mike O, you can see from this picture that I'm one to talk about tidying up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	237494  
Old 29-04-2021, 20:22   #39

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
It appears that not a single poster has acknowledged the absolutely critical function teak serves in the proper operation of transoceanic cruising hovercrafts.
Please do!
Old 29-04-2021, 20:28   #40

Quote:
Yes! Let's have this value-added content!!
Old 29-04-2021, 21:40   #41

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
is there such a beast ? interested to hear details please !!

cheers,
Old 30-04-2021, 04:17   #42

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I've got to have at least some teak. Toe rails are a pain but look so nice. Top of the coaming with a teak cover. The tiller has to be a laminated piece with at least 7 layers of varnish. Hatchboards also need many layers, I want to see my reflection. Yes, it's work. But so satisfying !!
Old 30-04-2021, 05:23   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I've considered letting the toe rail go silver/grey just as I do my deck. So far we've been oiling the rail and varnishing the cockpit. Oiling is easier, but not as lasting.
Old 30-04-2021, 05:44   #44

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
I've considered letting the toe rail go silver/grey just as I do my deck. So far we've been oiling the rail and varnishing the cockpit. Oiling is easier, but not as lasting.

Personally, I hate the look of grey teak. And oil doesn't last on exterior teak. Has to be re-done every 3 - 4 weeks in my experience.

Varnish looks great, but it's a good bit of work. Mine was all switched to Cetol years ago for lower maintenance. Last winter, I re-did the pulpit teak with Perfection Plus in hopes of a better look and even lower maintenance. It looks absolutely great after 6 coats, and next year (after 2 years) I'll probably throw a maintenance coat on it. But for now, it looks every bit as good as right after I coated it (photos are from right after coating). Now if only all of my teak looked that good at the same time...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200409_172504.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	237524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200409_172508.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	237525  

Name:	IMG_20200523_131220.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	237526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200608_090654.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	237527  

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 06:09   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Personally, I hate the look of grey teak. And oil doesn't last on exterior teak. Has to be re-done every 3 - 4 weeks in my experience.
Your pulpit looks great .

Sorry, didn't mean to say I used oil on the interior. I've only used it on the toe rail and other fore-deck edging. But as I say, I've not used anything on the interior. After a decade of use I barely see any change to my interior wood.

Varnish looks great, but it's a good bit of work. Mine was all switched to Cetol years ago for lower maintenance. Last winter, I re-did the pulpit teak with Perfection Plus in hopes of a better look and even lower maintenance. It looks absolutely great after 6 coats, and next year (after 2 years) I'll probably throw a maintenance coat on it. But for now, it looks every bit as good as right after I coated it (photos are from right after coating). Now if only all of my teak looked that good at the same time...[/QUOTE]

Is that a two-part varnish? I've only ever used the standard spar varnish, and not always of the same type or brand. Like I said, I'm not very particular about varnishing. When needed I'll scuff the area up, and slap on whatever's on hand. On a hot day I can usually get three or four coats on. It's never perfect, but it does protect the wood, and generally looks pretty good -- from a distance .

Cetol... I used that on a previous boat. It seemed fine, but I don't recall it being much easier or more long-lasting than the basic spar varnish. But it's been a while since I used it. Maybe I should give it another try...

Tags
teak