Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2022, 18:28   #1

Teak deck on fiberglass boat glue and screw

Does anyone know the procedure that Beneteau used in 2005 to lay teak decks? I have heard the phrase “glue and screw” but I don’t understand what that means. I have seen some screws that look to be stainless that seem to be covered by the black seems.
I purchased a 2005 Beneteau 473
My understanding is that the Teak is just sitting on top of the “real” deck.
1. Does anybody know more specifically how the actual deck was built, and what problems exist with that procedure Used by Beneteau in 2005?—-f
2. My understanding is that they
put glue On top of the deck and then
laid the teak on top of the glue and then
screwed the teak in temporarily to hold it in place while the glue dried and then
removed the screws and then
filled the holes with epoxy/glue.

4. Unfortunately in some spots near the bow beneath the seems I have seen the tops of screws.
5. does anyone know how far in to the deck these screws are drilled? or if most of the screws were removed during the mfg process ? or in general what they did to make the screw holes water tight?
6. The boat is so well-built I would be really surprised if they drilled hundreds of screw holes through the deck without taking serious precautions that these did not cause leaks.

Please let me know if anyone knows of any problematic manufacturing procedures that were used around 2005…and any fixes you might have heard of…
Thanks everyone.

Please pardon my ignorance on this topic and if you know about it I would like to learn more thanks very much to everyone I have found this site
Glide2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:54   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Teak deck on fiberglass boat glue and screw

Use the search feature and type in “teak decks” ……be certain you are seated.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Yeah, we've got 500 threads on "teak decks." Might want to be more specific.

I Googled "beneteau teak deck problems" and got four Cruiser's Forum threads and a youTube on "How to repair your teak deck."

You haven't described the problem you are facing. We might be more helpful if you did.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-03-2022, 17:18   #4

hello. I do not have access to a computer so please forgive syntax and spelling errors. Thank you very much for helpful replies. I have been a member of this forum for more than a decade and I have found the posts and responses to be thoughtful kind astonishingly informative and often written by professionals or amateurs with specialized knowledge that has helped me become a better sailorI have read many of the threads on teal decks and On Beneteau specifically. Though I am sure there are certainly many that I have missed. If you are aware of one of the “500“ that addresses my question specifically it would be great if you could point me at that answer.

I am not asking for help with a specific problem. Rather I am asking to gain knowledge. and. for anyone who has knowledge about how Beneteau constructed theirr mono hull sailing vessels with combination fiberglass – Teak Decks Specifically how these were constructed in 2005 . it seems to me based on the forum readings that advances were made between 1980 and 1999 and between 2010 and today I’m wondering if anybody knows specifically what the construction techniques were around 2005

1) does anyone know the procedures that Beneteau used in 2005 to lay teak decks?
2) What does the phrase “glue and screw” mean and has that meaning or technique evolved berteeen 1990 and 2020
3) does anyone know how far into the deck Beneteau drilled to hold teak in place in 2005
4) does anyone know the process Beneteau used to make the screws and screw holes water tight
5) does anyone know if Beneteau left the screws in after the glue dried
6) does anyone know what kind of adhesive was used by Beneteau in 2005 to bind teak to the existing deck?
7) anyone have opinions on the best adhesive/sealant to use to bind and waterproof thru hull fittings connecting stainless to teak and fiberglass
8) has anyone here had experience ripping out the teak deck ona 2005 era Beneteau and then just sailing without re-installing teak?
9) what did beneteau use as a ‘core’ during that period?
10) does Beneteau use organic core ? if so what kinds of wood were used.
11) did they use marine plywood? what thickness and how small or large were the core pieces?
12 what material did they use to fill or plug or waterproof the screw holes and how has that evolved?

Thank you anyone for any help on this. i realize that much of this information is available at least in sri a and drabs on the internet and even in this site. i have read some of the best and most concise descriptions of teak and its usefulness and negative factors from my colleagues on Cruisers Forum. If someone knows l the answers to these questions i would like to gain from your knowledge. I respect all of the time and thought that goes onto these questions and so many of the meticulous and care filled thoughtful answers.
s/ Glide2277
Old 06-03-2022, 08:49   #5
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide2277 View Post
Does anyone know the procedure that Beneteau used in 2005 to lay teak decks? I have heard the phrase “glue and screw” but I don’t understand what that means. I have seen some screws that look to be stainless that seem to be covered by the black seems.
1. Does anybody know more specifically how the actual deck was built, and what problems exist with that procedure Used by Beneteau in 2005?—-f
screwed the teak in temporarily to hold it in place while the glue dried and then

4. Unfortunately in some spots near the bow beneath the seems I have seen the tops of screws.
5. does anyone know how far in to the deck these screws are drilled? or if most of the screws were removed during the mfg process ? or in general what they did to make the screw holes water tight?
6. The boat is so well-built I would be really surprised if they drilled hundreds of screw holes through the deck without taking serious precautions that these did not cause leaks.

Please let me know if anyone knows of any problematic manufacturing procedures that were used around 2005…and any fixes you might have heard of…
Thanks everyone.

Please pardon my ignorance on this topic and if you know about it I would like to learn more thanks very much to everyone I have found this site
As you are asking for detailed "2005 Beneteau 473" specifics, I suggest you contact someone on the Beneteau Owners Forum for the answers you seek.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 13:30   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Teak deck on fiberglass boat glue and screw

I owned a 393. The decks are glued and screwed , the screws penetrate the top fibreglass layer they are left in place and capped. The screws are sealed by the deck sealant.

The core is balsa

Beneteau have resorted to glueing more of the deck. This is unlike HR which put in thousands of screws and cap them off. ( I watched the deck being laid at HR ) they don’t remove the screws either ( in fact I don’t know any that do )

The trouble is the benny deck os quite thin and as it wears the caps tend to pop out.
Old 06-03-2022, 15:42   #7

Thanks so much! super helpful. That is exactly what i am seeing. thanks for taking the time to answer. i had a very good time at Lefkas marine
Old 06-03-2022, 15:44   #8

thanks so much. i really apprecuyour time. this was super helpful to me. i had an excellent time at Lefkas marine. thanks again
Old 06-03-2022, 18:40   #9

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide2277 View Post

Thanks everyone.

Basically, the teak is laid on adhesive/sealant, fixed with screws (between the strips where the caulking goes, but also in the centres of the strips under a teak plug - look, and you should see these on yours.

Would be nice to think the screws are removed or at least re-sealed, but that is time consuming, so in production of these boats, reliance is placed on the first application of sealant, and of course the caulking when it goes down.

When you start to see screw heads as you are noting now, it means the teak has been allowed to weather away, and the thin teak is now even thinner.

This issue comes about from the traditional practice of leaving the teak to weather, sloshing it down with seawater, and just for good measure, giving it a scrub.

I keep hearing "the best thing you can do for your teak is to let it weather naturally and just wash is down regularly to keep it from drying out"

Well you could do that in the days when the teak decking was one inch thick planking, but those days are long passed. As for the washing keeping the teak from drying out - teak is a very oily timber. Keep washing it, and you just accelerate the washing away of that protective oil.

So take the 'traditionalist' advice, and you end up in the situation you have there - half your teak has been washed over the side. These days the teak decking on most production boats is on average 8mm thick once laid and sanded. Let it weather and you lose it, seal it and you preserve it - with just the sealer weathering away. Sealer is a hundred dollars or so - teak is ten thousand dollars and more (a lot more depending on the boat).

Another thing to note, is that more and more in production manufacture, the teak is in many areas laid in panels of strips stapled (underneath usually) together. Apply the adhesive/sealant, press a panel in place, and screw-fix (or these days more and more thankfully, weight or vacuum bag down).

Here is how we maintain our teak (starts 1 minute in if you want to skip the scenery) - it takes less than 4 person-hours a year for a fully decked 50 footer. The deck was new in 2012. I hope this helps:

https://youtu.be/Qt0uel_v-kY
Old 07-03-2022, 06:30   #10

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

The first major improvement I did with our Kelley-Peterson was remove the teak deck. We tore off the teak boards to reveal a nice, cored, fiberglass deck with 1,000 little screw holes. We sanded away what was left of the glue, filled all the screw holes with epoxy, sanded again, and put down a few layers of 17 oz bi-axial cloth with West System epoxy. Then we faired, painted, and added good non-skid.
Two weeks of work for a couple. No more leaky screw holes. No more teak to maintain. Stronger, lighter deck.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, crew, deck, fiberglass, teak, teak deck