Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 16:55   #31

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Teak Deck or not

To all the doubters - a picture is worth a thousand words.

Yes, it is not a classic lay-up (not cut into king plank etc, etc, etc), but it is teak, it is only 10mm thick, and it is (in this picture) a full five years old and the result of only 3 hours per year maintenance (most of us would spend more time washing our boats).

I acknowledge many have bad experiences, but done properly, and looked after properly, there is not a problem (even under the beating Mediterranean sun, and the freezing winters of Southern France, where our desalinator lines burst due to ice).

I rest my case!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150512_14_48_04_Pro__lowres.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	111682  
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 18:52   #32

Boat: Kaufman 47

Even though my teak is old and worn, get them new caulk soon, I wouldn't have my boat another way. I have seen my boat without and it just looks plain.

When it comes time to replace I'm going with the previously mentioned cork decking, Marine Deck 2000 from Stanzo. I saw it at Miami and is hands down nicer than the plastics. Walked on that African catamaran company's new boat that had it, barefoot and it was cool as a cucumber.

I say aye for teak.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 19:15   #33
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR

All the things mentioned about teak are true, for the most part, but most issues are maintenance and installation related. Simply put, good quality VG stock, applied appropriately and reasonably maintained, will last a long time. Anything less than this - you can bet the durability and looks go downhill quickly.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 19:20   #34
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

We have a now 30 year old Passport 37 with teak decks ... and can't figure out what to do because they don't leak. We've cruised from Annapolis to Cartegena Colombia and back to Florida. Yes, teak decks can get warm, but we love them and wouldn't trade. It's a personal decision ... and maybe build quality should be a consideration. Teak decks are not built all equally. Good Luck!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 08:01   #35

Boat: Xc-45 2018

Dear all,
Thanks for all your views - much apprecieated.
Colin Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 08:54   #36

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We had teak decks on our Tayana 37 and eventually took them up because they were HOT, HOT, HOT.
Old 28-10-2015, 09:10   #37

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

OK, some of you must walk around on your teak decks in your sandals/shoes in a hot sun, but none of you walk around barefoot on a hot teak deck. And I don't want to blister my bum through my jeans or swimsuit when I have to sit down on the deck to inspect/clean/fix something. Teak is gorgeous, just not practical in my mind.

And, 5 years of no problem? Get back to us in 5 more years, then 5 more. If it won't last 15 or more years it is really hard to justify the expense on my budget at least. I cannot think of one cruising friend who would prefer a teak deck. I am still trying to figure out why I thought the rest of the new/old boat was nice enough to get a teak deck, especially one that needs to be replaced. I used to think I was fairly intelligent and I have proven that I was incorrect.

To each his own. Teak has the best look and grip for sure. I like cork for that but not sure how durable it is over the long run and it ain't cheap.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 16:35   #38

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
OK, some of you must walk around on your teak decks in your sandals/shoes in a hot sun, but none of you walk around barefoot on a hot teak deck. And I don't want to blister my bum through my jeans or swimsuit when I have to sit down on the deck to inspect/clean/fix something. Teak is gorgeous, just not practical in my mind.

And, 5 years of no problem? Get back to us in 5 more years, then 5 more. If it won't last 15 or more years it is really hard to justify the expense on my budget at least. I cannot think of one cruising friend who would prefer a teak deck. I am still trying to figure out why I thought the rest of the new/old boat was nice enough to get a teak deck, especially one that needs to be replaced. I used to think I was fairly intelligent and I have proven that I was incorrect.

To each his own. Teak has the best look and grip for sure. I like cork for that but not sure how durable it is over the long run and it ain't cheap.
Have to say Wrong ! Same manufacturer, earlier models we see often in marina, and not looked after. Result - grey and black teak, but caulking generally OK, and the planking is certainly still OK - no lifting, just big tramlines where they have scrubbed the hell out of it in the earlier days, and/or, pressure washed it, or just let it slowly be eaten away by weathering.
Our deck does not get that weathering, as it is protected by the sealer we put on each season, and when we are not around, it is under a winter cover.
So - if an uncared for deck can at least still hold together over 10 - 15 years, how long is a deck that is looked after (as we do - taking a whole 3 hours per year!), going to last? I will be delighted to come back in 10 years, and 15 years to show 'progress' photos.

Hot - is July in North Africa hot enough for you? Yes, people do walk around barefoot on a teak deck in the heat of the day (interesting comment you make - do you have multiple cameras in the sky?). And we do too. If you are doing a bit of work on the deck and need to sit on it for a while, what's wrong with sitting on a towel? For me that is a whole lot better than having the glaring sun reflected back up at me from a gleaming white (if washed regularly) deck.
And yes, many of us do wear boat shoes - is there a problem there?

All I say is there is no problem walking or sitting on a teak deck on a hot day unless you want to make it so. As a suggestion, I suspect many of the comments are regarding those decks that are neglected and end up dark grey and black, therefore getting a lot hotter in the sun.

I am sure others have different experiences, but ours is as described, and the deck is as pictured, and no amount of others opinion, or experience changes what is fact.

That's it folks
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 23:25   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Decent teak decks last not 15 but 25 years or more. But I still wouldn't say they "justify the expense". They are hellaciously expensive. Definitely a luxury.

I love mine, but my next boat is likely to have -- bare metal decks, like a workboat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 00:15   #40

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:

I find our teak deck gets too hot to walk on comfortably when the temps rise above 35 C (as measured in the shade of course). Perhaps I just have Teflon feet? I very rarely wear shoes or socks on deck as i find those too hot.

Our boat had been abandoned, in water, in the hot Med, for 7 years when we bought her. The decks were filthy but cleaned up beautifully. They have no treatments on them, only washing & occasionally brightening. They are in great shape now at 13 years old & I fully expect them to outlast us.

There are two X-44s on our quay. One has teak decks & the other doesn't. It is really quite amazing how much better the teak decks improve the look of the yacht.

I did like the white diamond nonslip on our old boat. It was cooler to walk on although I didn't notice a difference in cabin temp. I love the look & feel of teak though. To each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:09   #41

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Nothing looks better than a well installed and maintained teak deck. And nothing looks worse than an imitation teak deck.

Teak makes a great nonskid. But it is more maintenance and expense than I wish for on my own boat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:29   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Nothing looks better than a well installed and maintained teak deck. And nothing looks worse than an imitation teak deck.

Teak makes a great nonskid. But it is more maintenance and expense than I wish for on my own boat.
Will I throw a spanner into the cogwheels of our bliss if I claim that the non-skid properties are reversely related to good maintenance?

Teak is oily and SLICK when new. The nonskid properties come then from the rubbery caulking and are excellent on older decks when you work across the planks (which is probably most of the time).

I found new and gorgeous teak decks actually pretty slippery in sea going conditions (the deck wet and angled). Various paints, liners and diamond gelco beat teak hands down when it comes to non-slip properties (my opinion, not a fact).

All the above IMHO - as so much will depend on what shoes or not one is wearing. It takes two to tango. ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck