Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 23:48   #16

Boat: Snipe 15.5’
Re: Teak decks

VChild that teak is breathtakingly gorgeous. I mean that literally, it’s so pretty I made a funny gasping noise when I saw your pics and startled the dog awake.
Desert Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 00:40   #17

Many, many Taiwan trawlers from the 1970s and 1980s came with teak decks. The leaks are legendary and often cause the fuel tanks below side decks to prematurely rust out, yet another expensive repair.

Some owners have ripped out the teak decks and fiberglassed over which is faster, less expensive, and much more durable than replacing the teak decks. For most brands, it improves the resale value, though not by an amount commensurate with the cost.

Personally, if I fell in love with a boat who's only flaw was teak decks - and that's a huge flaw for me, I'd only purchase if I could get it to a low labor cost country (Mexico for me) to fiberglass the decks. The only tolerable exterior wood on a boat is an errant toothpick dropped by accident.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 00:55   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

If the teak deck has not recently been replaced, then it is a minimum of $20,000 off on the value of the boat to me.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:19   #19

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dawdler View Post
VChild that teak is breathtakingly gorgeous. I mean that literally, it’s so pretty I made a funny gasping noise when I saw your pics and startled the dog awake.
Thank you
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:35   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Given Burmese teak has been illegal in the EU for a decade I wonder what manufacturers do these days.
There are teak plantations now in a few places around the world. I believe they grow the same species of teak as wild Burma teak but not certain.

Have friends from Venezuela who were shipping teak grown there. However from what I understand, plantation grown is in open groves, grows much faster and the wood is much less dense than wild teak. Have not heard any comments about whether or not the rot resistance is the same.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
There are teak plantations now in a few places around the world. I believe they grow the same species of teak as wild Burma teak but not certain.

Have friends from Venezuela who were shipping teak grown there. However from what I understand, plantation grown is in open groves, grows much faster and the wood is much less dense than wild teak. Have not heard any comments about whether or not the rot resistance is the same.
I heard the same thing about plantation teak. Less dense.
Interestingly, Baltic yachts now has on their website that they are experimenting with 4 other woods for decks that are sustainable resources.
It will be interesting to see how this works out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0CF31F1-6255-4571-9196-3B6C1364DE68.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	228353  
Old 09-12-2020, 07:49   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Avoid. Buy a boat without.

If you must have a teak deck (e.g. Hallbergs) then opt for either new one or one that was always stored under roof in the off season.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:14   #23

Boat: X442

I like teak. I have it on my boat but granted, it is coming undone in places. so I re-stick it. It's glued, apart from in a couple of places in the cockpit.
A screwed on teak deck I do think I would avoid.

Probably my deck will need to be replaced the next couple of years in which case I would choose a synthetic alternative. Looks like teak, (now also) feels like teak, but is plastic. But when all is said and done, it IS a bit odd anyway to have a thin layer of teak on a plastic boat which is supposed to replicate the traditional solid teak decks. So since it's fake anyway, might as well make it completely fake and make it plastic.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:25   #24

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post
If you want low maintenance teak decks, find a boat that has already had the teak replaced using the epoxy method without screws and bungs or else bite the bullet and do it yourself. Once its done, its done.
Teak loves seawater. If it gets too warm, a quick dousing with the deck washdown pump and it will stay cool and wet for hours. Nothing better than the feeling of wet teak under bare feet.
I can’t imagine my boat without teak decks but to each his own.
VChild, your Lord Nelson looks fantastic. I have a Hans Christian 33 that I ultimately want to replace the decks on. Where did you have yours done? What was the approximate time frame on that job?
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 17:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
VChild, your Lord Nelson looks fantastic. I have a Hans Christian 33 that I ultimately want to replace the decks on. Where did you have yours done? What was the approximate time frame on that job?
Thanks Lowcountry. It was done in Pensacola, FL.
A lot of other work was going on simultaneously with intermittent teak work.
You can PM me for details.
Old 10-12-2020, 17:53   #26

If you plan to have full time crew - definitely go with the teak decks. It gives them something to do.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 18:10   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

newer model boats that have teak deck, cockpits, etc.....often have a teak " veneer"...this is typically about 1/4" thick or so, comes in sheets, and is cut and glued into place...looks good too.....no bung holes, etc....
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 18:31   #28

I started a new thread on “Flexiteek”

I’ll post here instead. Anyone have experience with Flexiteek? It’s PVC molded and tinted to look and feel like teak. Anyone have it installed?
RLB64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 22:53   #29

Boat: no boat any more

Food fro thought:
https://www.ventspleen.com/modern-te...e-truth-hurts/
(btw: according to the traditionalists this is the way a kingplank has to look! NO radiusses from the use of router! Handmade with the chisel!)
Old 11-12-2020, 01:50   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by leveramikes View Post
Can I have your opinions on teak decks. What to look for when purchasing a sailboat with teak decks, maintenance..... pros and cons.

We had a problem wih our teak that was fiitted by the previous owner, a shipright.When we had the deck removed our steel weighed 15 tons fully loaded, after it was removed the boat was 4 inches higher in the water.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck