Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2010, 19:57   #16

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
ya that ultimate catalina is quite the unit many many modifications done to it.
this one here is really cool as well.
Judy B's "Bijou" - A Catalina 27 Website
some excellent work done on the interior as well
1978 Catalina 27 Sailboat - Cabin Modifications
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 05:37   #17

Boat: Tartan 34C
Too much goodness

"Sovereignty" reminds me of one of those pick-up trucks with dual wheels, running lights, a visor, a towing wing, running boards, oversized chrome grill, winch, trailer hitch with skull, and a custom paint job including scroll work on any surface more than a foot square. Still, it seems to be well thought out, well executed, and the dude lived on her for 16 (!!!) years. Not my cup-o-tea, but he seems happy with her.

Michael, your boat looks great! Any topside pics? Any underway?

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 06:37   #18

so maybe someone could share his experience with breaking waves
maybe going on storm jib and trisail but that wouldnt work in the night trying to avoid the breaking wave or puting a seaanchor but in open ocean dont u get big huge waves that are just big and dont break so would be interestd of some experts opinion
lokas0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 07:24   #19

No expert

Upfront disclaimer: I am NOT an expert, and I am wary of anyone who claims to be one.

That said, I have been in 12 - 15 foot swells (off Cape Henry - Norfolk) with a nice 20 - 25 kt wind at my back in a 33 foot boat and loved it. One minute you're in a canyon of water, and as the mountains rush toward you, the boat magically lifts and rides over it. Now you're up so high you think a dive into the water would hurt. Took a couple of sloshers over the stern, but never was afraid of the outcome.

Beating into the wind near Cape Lookout in 6 - 8 foot breaking waves, there was not a sense of impending danger that we would sink (same 33' boat), but we were getting tired and wet, and if something broke when we were on a near-shore tack, bad things could happen in a hurry. We had reefed down in the fading sunlight (good decision) and dropped the storm jib a few hours later (more trouble than benefit). We averaged a net 1 kph over land for 12 hours, with another 24 hours to go, and decided Ocracoke looked good for a Saturday night. With that same weather at our backs, we ripped down the coast in record time with no discomfort or problems - that is until we got to the Ocracoke Inlet, which is another story that involves the Coast Guard and pepper spray.

They say NEVER try to cross the Gulf Stream when the wind is out of any point north, regardless of boat size or experience. The waves are shaped like elephants and the experience is compared to being hit by a car going 10 mph every 15 seconds. If the boat survives, you will be a wreck.

Bad weather is very tiring when you have to tend a boat 24/7. Sailing long passages, even in good weather, can be very tiring. Fatigue is dangerous.

70 miles offshore in a Ranger 33 was the edge of my comfort zone - she was a great boat, but needed more upgrades to be truly bluewater ready. Keep in mind that it would probably take 10 hours to get back to shore in favorable conditions, and when things go wrong, favorable conditions go with them.

If I can get my C-27 to the point where I can get to the Bahamas safely, I will have prepped her about as far as I think prudent. Most accidents of any sort involve operator error, which includes an inflated belief in your own ability. As a friend of mine once said, "The ocean can be a very inhospitable place."

John
Old 28-07-2010, 09:33   #20

Deck hardware

The two swivel blocks at the base of the mast are different sizes - is this normal? And the two turning blocks at the front of the cabin top, also different sizes. What do you have on your "stock" C-27?

I presume that the larger blocks are for the main and the smaller for the foresail, but I've been wrong before....

Also, the scoops/dorades at the rear of the cockpit are gone - are they plastic, metal, what? Source for replacements?

AND, there are no nav lights up front. I've heard LED's are totally the way to go. Is that an upgraded bulb or a new light assembly? Again, got a source? I prefer good used over new, based on my budget and generally frugal lifestyle.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-08-2010, 15:25   #21

Hull/deck joint?

I hear this is a weak link in Catalina design. Any tips on how to make my C-27 watertight? Thanks!

John
Old 03-08-2010, 14:44   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Hi John, it has been a while since I read this thread. I do not consider myself an expert because I bought an old C-27, stripped it down after sailing it two seasons, and decided to use my renovation efforts elsewhere ( a Valiant 40)...
My blocks at the base of the mast were all the same size. They were Schafer and worked well. The dorades at the end of the boat were plastic and nothing special. I would measure the size and go out and pick up a pair that worked. They were white plastic. The nav lights were in the hull next to the bow. The ones that were on my boat could be purchased for 12 dollars a piece- I got them off ebay.
The hull/deck joint is what finally got me to cash it in. If i was absolutely sold on the boat I would use epoxy-glass and a ton of work. Mine was delaminating and falling apart. And you absolutely positively have to change out those gate valves. They are time bombs waiting to go off. Go to where boats are being torn down for parts- chat up one of the guys doing it, and you should be able to get thru hulls with valves. Bronze-or stainless...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 14:51   #23

Good advice and (another) question

Newt --

I appreciate your input - thanks!

Anyone know the proper size (length and diameter) of a Catalina 27 whisker pole/spinnaker pole? What kind of pole - alum tube or wood or ??? Picture?

Thanks, again!

John
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42   #24

Time bombs

[QUOTE=s/v Beth;496449]you absolutely positively have to change out those gate valves. They are time bombs waiting to go off. QUOTE]

Newt --

Is it the thru hull that scares you or the valve itself? Thanks for the tips!

John
Old 06-08-2010, 06:49   #25

Factory Drawings

Everyone --

I have uploaded 3 copies of the Catalina factory drawings showing deck layout and mast assembly for both the standard and tall rigs. Look in my albums (duh). Enjoy!

John
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
John- Both. The thru-hulls I had in my boat were slapped together. The valve itself is a big no-no, any surveyor worth his salt will go crazy seeing them, but the thru-hulls were not backed up either. Sinking your boat is just no fun- both should come out and be replaced. Old thru hulls, if they were manufactured right, will work just fine. The the seacocks will allow you to sleep at night.
A good reference is "This old boat" or "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" By Don Casey. The second one is like a readers digest version and I refer to it often.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 18:52   #27

Renovations

Spent a good part of the morning sanding and oiling teak Found a pair of bronze dorades/cowls that fit perfectly. For the $10 and the time it took to sand off the remaining chrome, I can pitch the cups that have been filling those holes. I found time to replace the bilge pump hose and install those cowls and still had time to go kayaking before noon.

It turns out my C27 already has the spreader socket upgrade (good) but I am removing the swing-down table in an effort to get one decent sized berth on this boat. Gonna add 15" and throw a futon on there.

And what's with these lifelines that fit bottom position only? Anyone have a source for replacements?

Also, I only have two thru-hulls below the waterline - engine intake and head intake. There are a bunch of transom mounted openings, all above the waterline. Where's the first place to look for trouble?

This sailor is open to hearing about mods and great "gets" that improved your C27.

John
Old 10-08-2010, 14:50   #28

ive heard that the hull/deck joint is not very strong on the catalina i am wondering how do i go about reinforcing this. could i just add fiberglass epoxy/matt to the inside of the hull/deck joint would this work or do i need to do something else.
Old 10-08-2010, 14:54   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post

It turns out my C27 already has the spreader socket upgrade (good) but I am removing the swing-down table in an effort to get one decent sized berth on this boat. Gonna add 15" and throw a futon on there.

A
John

what i did on mine was added 2 teak 1x2 rails on either side of settee. made up some 1x5 slats then got 2 pieces of 5in nice foam cut to fit. glued the foam to the slats did a basic cover on them and when i want my large bed i just drop them into place. of course i have the standard layout dont know how this would work on the dinette version.
Old 10-08-2010, 18:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
ive heard that the hull/deck joint is not very strong on the catalina i am wondering how do i go about reinforcing this. could i just add fiberglass epoxy/matt to the inside of the hull/deck joint would this work or do i need to do something else.
Michael --

The information I got was that the H/D joint is strong enough if your hull and deck are in basically good condition, but that it will seep water when heeled over. Caulking the top and bottom of the aluminum rail with approved "schmutz" is supposed to be enough.

I suspect that if/when you are under enough stress that the H/D joint is giving it up, you really have bigger problems to deal with.

John

Tags
catalina