Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 05:53   #61

Boat: CS 40
Re: Tender for 40' Yacht ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I really doubt a sausage keel will plane with 3 people and an 8. Maybe 1 person?
We have an 8.5 ft Achilles air floor with a 5HP 2 stroke and we get up on a plane no problem with the two of us. I like the idea of stowing it below when heading offshore.
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 10:14   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i find my walker bay planes just fine with only me rowing...with a clean bottom, of course..... no theft problem, either....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 16:07   #63
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Time Goes By View Post
Dennis,

Where did you find the Mercury 310 for $1400?

Bob
Here Inflatable Boat Service and Supply but I never got it. They seem to be out of business. Well they don't answer emails.

I still need a tender.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 01:37   #64

Boat: Lagoon 420

Anybody heard anything about Aquabay ribs. Going out on special for a 3.0m rib at $1399 in Sydney. Cheap PVC no doubt but at that price it's tempting to give it a go. Cover available so with a bit of care might last a while. But at that price it's a throw away item after a few years.

Bob
As Time Goes By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 01:43   #65

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Here Inflatable Boat Service and Supply but I never got it. They seem to be out of business. Well they don't answer emails.

I still need a tender.
Dennis,

See my post on Aquabay ribs. Much the same deal I expect.

http://www.aquabaymarine.com.au/prod...p?id=32&pid=19

Bob
As Time Goes By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 03:46   #66
Armchair Bucketeer

Leaving aside any onboard storage issues - how big a RIB could a 15hp power (with reasonable performance when more than 1 onboard) - 13' (4 Metre)?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 04:24   #67
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Time Goes By View Post
Dennis,

See my post on Aquabay ribs. Much the same deal I expect.

http://www.aquabaymarine.com.au/prod...p?id=32&pid=19

Bob
Seems like a good deal. But its in AU. I need one in California.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 15:14   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Leaving aside any onboard storage issues - how big a RIB could a 15hp power (with reasonable performance when more than 1 onboard) - 13' (4 Metre)?
I had a well worn 15 hp Yamaha on an AB heavy rib. 3 people OK, lots of power. (that was probably 400 lb of people) 12-13 might work fine, with up to 3 people... how much more does that dingy weigh than a 10 ft? I think mine was about 125 lb. The longer dingy might get up on a plane easier if not too much heavier...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:15   #69

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. This setup has served us well now for 14 years. Despite what everyone says, you can make a PVC dinghy last. The outboard's a 9.9 and could get up on plane with 4 lighter weight (roughly 525 pounds total) people. We lift the dinghy on the davits every night for security and to keep the bottom clean. On passages, we put the dinghy up on the forward bow. The 3mm aluminum floor provides adequate stability to allow 2 of us to stand (not on plane at this point) to avoid getting drenched when the waves start creeping over the oversized tubes.

You indicated lifting the outboard isn't an issue, but remember, to sustain the lifestyle long term, it's wise to take it easy on the body when ever you can. Our biggest use of the dinghy is getting to shore generally under trips of 500 meters or less. We also utilize a smaller outboard for these trips. It's also alot easier on the two of us dragging the dinghy & motor up and down the beach with the smaller outboard.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb12 022.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	36867  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 08:33   #70

Boat: W Boden 56' Timber trawler

Hi all,
I notice most people seem to prefer ribs. I am currently looking for a new tender and am wondering if anyone has had experience with the poly boat. In particular the Smartwave 3500. I cruise Nth Qld, and think the harsh coral and sun will quickly wear on a rib, also I am thinking the poly hull will be kinder on my painted timber hull as opposed to aluminium.I am after a reasonably quick tender which will easily carry 4 to 5 people. Thoughts on the durability of poly style tenders would be appreciated.
Cheers
Spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 09:12   #71

A RIB will be nice and stable with 4-5 people. The early poly boats suffered UV degradation fast..... even up here in the PNW I hear they've solved that issue......

Old 15-04-2012, 21:59   #72

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
Hi all,
I notice most people seem to prefer ribs. I am currently looking for a new tender and am wondering if anyone has had experience with the poly boat. In particular the Smartwave 3500. I cruise Nth Qld, and think the harsh coral and sun will quickly wear on a rib, also I am thinking the poly hull will be kinder on my painted timber hull as opposed to aluminium.I am after a reasonably quick tender which will easily carry 4 to 5 people. Thoughts on the durability of poly style tenders would be appreciated.
Cheers
Although the Poly boats look good they are very heavy once you go larger than the tough tender.

3.00 Tuff Tender | Polycraft

The best alloy RIBS have external cover over the inflation tubes for best UV stabillity
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 05:50   #73

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day AK,

We're getting much closer to our return (9 Nov). When we finally meet up face to face I'll show you how we've dealt with the various 15 hp o/bs
that we've had over the years. Involves halyards, etc. Dead easy, essentially zero cost.

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I'd love to know a bit more about this. I don't want davits on my lovely Baltic and I've got about 1.5m freeboard I would say. Being new to cruising, I've been puzzling on the tender issue. I've been concerned about both RIB and OB being very cumbersome to get onboard. At the same time, I've really wondered if a light engine such as a 2.5hp would be enough and from the comments here it certainly doesn't look like it will. The tides in the English channel surely will make this even more of an issue.

BTW - what precautions do people take on theft prevention?

Thanks,

Onno

Oh - and sorry for the slight hi-jack, OP!
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 09:30   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Hi Jim,

I'd love to know a bit more about this. I don't want davits on my lovely Baltic and I've got about 1.5m freeboard I would say. Being new to cruising, I've been puzzling on the tender issue. I've been concerned about both RIB and OB being very cumbersome to get onboard. At the same time, I've really wondered if a light engine such as a 2.5hp would be enough and from the comments here it certainly doesn't look like it will. The tides in the English channel surely will make this even more of an issue.
If you dont want ugly davits on the Baltic... wait until you see the barnacle scratches and gel coat chips from manhandling the dingy aboard with a halyard!

Old 19-04-2012, 10:23   #75

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Hmmm, somehow I feel you could have put that a little more friendly.

It seems to me that there must be a solution to avoiding scratches. Anybody any ideas. And how do you put davits on this, anyway, they would need to be far too long to support the weight and the backstay is in the way.

I'd welcome any constructive comments.

Onno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	40156  
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender, yacht