Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 14:39   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Tender/ Outboard Motor Suggestions

The dinghy I have now is a Zodiac Cadet 3.10 RIB.
Year one the rub rail turned to goo. Year two both oars fell off, came unglued, along with both oar holders and one cleat, also in year two the right tube started to come apart at the seam, it’s three years old this month and has been deemed to be unrepairable by a dinghy repair guy.
I do not expect Zodiac to do anything because I have most of the leaks fixed, and all the accessories like the oar locks etc have only a one year warranty. In my opinion it’s now unsafe, I expect the tubes to become separated from the hull.
If that wasn’t enough, it gets water in between the two hulls, I initially cut an inspection hole to drain it, and found baffles, so that didn’t work. I then had to install a drain so that I could periodically drain the water from between the two hills.
I won’t buy another Zodiac, be wary.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 14:58   #17

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

2.5 or 4 hp is enough to push a loaded tender but not to plane. Going larger creates a potential rail storage issue as well as lifting problems. For the tender a double bottomed hypolon 10 footer should work well. I would avoid PVC and unknown brands. There is a lot of crap out there.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 16:25   #18

DO NOT buy a Zodiac. Worst reputation out there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 16:47   #19

Having read the above posts, you may ask if not a Zodiac then what?

We have had great use and no problems with a Highfield Alloy 2.9m Hypalon + 9.8 (5 year warranty I think) and our current tender a 310X Caribe Deep V Fiberglass RIB (heavy and needs 15Hp +, we run a 20 on it)
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 16:50   #20

Boat: 473 Beneteau, 47'

Well- all that is good to know and will likely save me a lot of hassle. Any recommendations on brand?
Seabbatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 16:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Having read the above posts, you may ask if not a Zodiac then what?

We have had great use and no problems with a Highfield Alloy 2.9m Hypalon + 9.8 (5 year warranty I think) and our current tender a 310X Caribe Deep V Fiberglass RIB (heavy and needs 15Hp +, we run a 20 on it)
Read my mind- thank you!
Old 03-02-2018, 16:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The dinghy I have now is a Zodiac Cadet 3.10 RIB.
Year one the rub rail turned to goo. Year two both oars fell off, came unglued, along with both oar holders and one cleat, also in year two the right tube started to come apart at the seam, it’s three years old this month and has been deemed to be unrepairable by a dinghy repair guy.
I do not expect Zodiac to do anything because I have most of the leaks fixed, and all the accessories like the oar locks etc have only a one year warranty. In my opinion it’s now unsafe, I expect the tubes to become separated from the hull.
If that wasn’t enough, it gets water in between the two hulls, I initially cut an inspection hole to drain it, and found baffles, so that didn’t work. I then had to install a drain so that I could periodically drain the water from between the two hills.
I won’t buy another Zodiac, be wary.
Great info- thank you!
Old 03-02-2018, 17:31   #23

Thoughts on Defender?

I am also looking at Highfield too.
Old 03-02-2018, 17:37   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tough to beat Defender
Old 03-02-2018, 23:14   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

My 18 year old Achilles RIB, Alloy hull, hypalon tubes is still going strong

http://www.achillesboats.com/
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DSC_0068.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	163388
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:47   #26

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

I bought a Zodiac from Defender that had a factory defect. I said I would bring it back and swap it for a good one. Defender said they wouldn't do that, I would have to deal with the factory rep from Zodiac. The rep said if he swapped it for a good one I would loose $300 because the factory rebate had just expired-told me to take it to a repair facility an hour away and they would cut off the defective part, put a patch over it and glue on a new one. Called Visa and told them the story and they put the payment on hold. After several annoying phone calls over a two week period with Defender and Zodiac, Defender decided to discount the price of the raft enough to make it worth living with the defect. It turned out to be the worst inflatable I've ever owned- nothing but problems.
I now have a Highfield 310 Classic with a Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke, it's two years old and we love it. Bought it from Monahans Marine in Weymouth Massachusetts. Monahans gave me a great price and they were a joy to do business with.
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:20   #27

I also have a 473. Our backup dinghy is an Avon compact RIB, with a folding transom. It’s small enough to store either between the mast and the baby stay, or on the cabin top. We use an ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 electric outboard with it.

We also use flex dinghy rings to tilt it out of the water at night, or for short distances in mild conditions.

www.dinghyrings.com
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:59   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tender/ Outboard Motor Suggestions

I loved the bow storage on my Zodiac too, until I discovered that when it rained, it filled that compartment, that then leaked water in between the hulls.
To get the water out, you had to remove a drain plug inside of the hull and flip it over on its back, and the stand it up in the air bow up.
I then installed a drain plug in the hull like a regular Boat, between the two hulls.

I’m in Port Canaveral, will be heading South soon, anyone want a free three yr old Zodiac Cadet 3.10, in a couple of weeks? Fl registration good to Dec 2019
Seriously, I’ll have to get rid of it somehow, and my conscious won’t let me sell it.
Old 04-02-2018, 13:04   #29

Boat: 43 Mikelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabbatical View Post
I have a 2002 Beneteau 473 and am in the market for a RIB tender that will fit on deck while on passages. Any suggestions on brand and size? It looks like the baby stay will limit what I can put on deck without impeding the anchor locker. I would go measure but the boat is 6 hours away. Also-- with the tender there will need to be a motor- any thoughts on engine size that is preferable while cruising? I know the tender will have a max motor size but I have some concern with storing it on the rail and am more concerned with going practical rather than going with the max size.

Any rate- just looking for thoughts of those who have bought either (tender or motor) and later wished they would have gotten something different.

Also- if anyone has any recommendations where I can look to get good deals on a tender and/or motor-- please share...

Thank you very much in advance!

The motor size is somewhat dependent on your strength.
Tohatsu makes outboards with their name plate as well as Mercury and Nissan.
Their 4 stroke 4-5-6 hp weigh 55lbs. Difference in hp is carburetion. All are single cylinder.
8 and 9.8 weigh about 82 lbs. ( two cylinder)

15 hp weigh 95 lbs
Yamaha outboards can be stored on their sides, Tohatsu can be stored only on one side.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 19:24   #30

A64—. I might have taken you up on that offer - but I have a new one on the way! Wish I was heading south- I’m ready for summer. Safe travels....

Tags
motor, outboard, tender