Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 00:05   #31

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: That didn't go as planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

I'm gonna have to ask him nicely for a copy of my boat's settings, as I am leaving soon.
Winter !!! I remember that Port Lincoln and SA was not that great at this time of the year.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:24   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Winter !!! I remember that Port Lincoln and SA was not that great at this time of the year.

Yeah. A bit chilly right now.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:15   #33

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
This quote brings up an interesting issue. One really needs to know where the straps are supposed to go, and unless the PO leaves you with a picture showing the boat in slings, taken in such a way as to see where the straps go, what can you do?

You can buy little arrow stickers to place where the straps go, that stick to your topsides or toerail to indicate the right place.

Ann
You should definitely know where your straps go, but also any other possible issues, here's a good example of why:

When I was having my now mine boat hauled out for a survey, I had a long talk with the lift master. He had never lifted a Columbia 50, and neither had I, but there were stickers like Ann mentions on the hull. I also showed a hull drawing off of Sailboatdata, just for another reference. I also told the lift master to tie the fore and aft lift straps together, as the bow strap position would be on a steep slope of the forward edge of the keel, as it is very much like a cutaway forefoot full keel profile in that spot. He said "ok". Wouldn't you know, nature started calling really bad and the bathrooms were about 75' away from the hoist. In the amount of time it took me to get back, it seems he forgot my instructions about tying off the two straps and was lifting as I was walking back. Before I could get back there was a terrible rumble as the forward strap slide 4' forward, which resulted in the boat dropping about 1.5', thankfully it wasn't completely out of the water. Needless to say everyone had to change their knickers after that, and I had a conversation with the hoist master. He tied off the straps on both sides. After that everything went fine...
Old 04-06-2019, 05:07   #34

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Who operated that travel lift ? Looks like the stern strap was on the stern of your boat instead of right after the keel ? That shaft is bent up ! That can only be caused by a travel lift strap in the very wrong place.
Get a very Good marine Surveyor and listen to his advice. I believe he will say your marinia was at fault .
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:52   #35

Boat: Passport 40

There was a sticker.... the issue was they put a disposable plastic sleeve on the sling with each lift. They either didn’t drop the sling low enough to compensate for the air bubble in the plastic wrap or they pulled it up while the prop was still spinning. Either way the plastic wrap got tangled in the prop and there was no way to get the sling off the prop. The boat was taking on water so we couldn’t wait on a diver

As for Ticonderoga. I am living the dream vicariously through you lol. How do I put up an avatar?
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 14:10   #36

Total came in at $1,500 for my end. I have asked them to do some additional work on top so it will go up, but that is not too bad considering the extent of what happened. Their cost is likely much higher....
Old 05-06-2019, 15:15   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Brookie, do you have someone lined up who can tell you all has been correctly accomplished? It couldn't hurt.

Ann
Old 05-06-2019, 16:26   #38

Ann,
Hubby is a marine engineer. he is planning a thruough inspection before it goes back in the water.
Old 05-06-2019, 20:09   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good as gold, then.

Ann
Old 06-06-2019, 07:36   #40

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Please forgive the slight thread drift but back to proper placement of straps for a Travel Lift: When we were hauling out at Peake Yacht Services in Chaguaramas, Trinidad, the yard dispatched a diver to make certain that the straps are properly placed. When we hauled out in Pangkor, Malaysia, the ‘Travel Lift’ was more like a ‘low boy’ trailer with long, inflatable tubes in either side - that made for a relatively stress-free haul out.

I recognize the Gori prop, which is what we have installed on our boat. We’ve been delighted with ours and have over 5,000 trouble-free hours on it.

So sorry the original poster had the problem. I probably would have said many bad words.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:02   #41

That just goes to show, you can't check things too much before you go in the water.
A beautiful boat. Drool.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:31   #42

The new shaft is supposed to arrive today. I need to go back to the yard to retrieve my husbands ladder. I need another hand to get it onto the car. I managed to get my hand mushed in it yesterday... I had a hard time getting it out.

I took the opportunity of it being out of the water of washing the hull and putting the name on. I have the Connecticut numbers. It is register in Connecticut and awaiting USCG documentation. What I am unsure of is that I need to put the CT numbers on it. I have them. Today would be an easy day to put them on, they are just ugly and I would rather not. I also don't want a ticket. In truth doesn't really matter I guess. They are only 3 inches high...

When I returned home...my husband accused me of photoshopping the name on the back. It was windy and the big adhesive sticker decided to sail, unsticking its position. I had half the backing off trying to recenter and level. Needless to say his comment was not met with laughs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DLC28bzbTPOFJpqzRJSvmA.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	193637   Click image for larger version

Name:	58179383347__7EB5837A-38CC-491C-B166-A0B02F84977A.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	193638  

Click image for larger version

Name:	58179605860__6C3498C3-90F2-4DEC-8F38-999F7B27233F.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	193639  
Old 10-06-2019, 07:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You can buy little arrow stickers to place where the straps go, that stick to your topsides or toerail to indicate the right place.

Ann

My boat used to have bronze plates all along the deck, indicating skin-fittings (27 of them) and how far down they are, and chock points for dry-docking.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:52   #44

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Thanks boaty
Attachment 193149
I noticed that the yard did not paint your shaft & prop with Zink spray.
That is the best way to combat growth on it (per my yard manager in Sebastion River, FL).
Dove on my boat last week to remove some algae and prop & shaft were free of growth.

Glad all this happened when you were close to the yard for quick haulout to stop water leaks.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:41   #45

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Nice job on the lettering Brookie!

About stickers and numbers for CT...reads like sticker only no numbers if you are documented. But unclear about the 'meantime'. Maybe call and ask about putting the stickers on the hull and the numbers on some boards hung from the stanchions?

https://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/Boa...uide/part2.pdf