Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2023, 11:39   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Anton Tokar
The boat for 2 remote workers and a dog

Hello, cruisers!!

I am looking for a boat , a budget one, available for up to 50k euro (I’m in Europe and not ready to cross an ocean by boat) , about 30 -45 foot

Which would have a separate cabin with the dedicated desk, so either I or my GF can work there (having video and voice calls both of us at the same time from different rooms, one in the cabin , another one is saloon).
Like bow , or aft cabin + desk .

And preferably shower separated from the head, at least a shower zone in the head .

And maybe also stairs which are usable by French bulldog , not like ladder…

I would want such boat to live aboard and continue work remotely from the ports and marinas during the week , and change location and sail on the weekends .

And this way to travel the Med and then who knows what…

I discovered that all the boats layout is not very living friendly…

Please share your experience, ideas , knowledge!

Thanks
Anton Tokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 11:47   #2

Re: The boat for 2 remote workers and a dog

Btw , is it true that the cost or boat purchase (used one , of course) is only a minor part of the money needed to actually cruise it and prepare it to live on board ?
Like anyway I’d need to buy a lot of stuff right away , as well as fix stuff , etc…

Like if I buy Bavaria 30 2006 for about 40k I’d spend about about 40k fixing and improving it ,
So better to buy the boat with the higher price , like 70k that would require less refit and would be more ready to live aboard and cruise…
Old 16-05-2023, 12:34   #3

The cost of keeping a boat in good sailing shape, (everything except insurance which varies hugely) is 3 to 5% of the price of the boat AS IF IT WAS NEW. I am going to guess a Bavaria 30 would be about €250,000 new, so figure around €10,000 a year to keep her going.

That’s after a proper refit.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 13:00   #4

I'm curious also is it true that right about in the 2000 year a lot of manufacturers decided to make the interior size closer to the overall boat size? for this reason for example Bavaria 30 has more inner space than older Bavaria 31. So the advice I've heard is to always look for a boat manufactured after 2000.
Old 16-05-2023, 13:57   #5

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Tokar View Post
Btw , is it true that the cost or boat purchase (used one , of course) is only a minor part of the money needed to actually cruise it and prepare it to live on board ?
Absolutely. The purchase price is simply the admission fee into a lifetime of costs in insurance, marinas, fuel, maintenance, upgrades, and repairs. Most people that get into financial trouble do so because they buy too much boat where the purchase price already has them stretched.

The cost of everything increases with the size of the boat. People tend to underestimate that. Even stuff like painting the bottom is going to require more paint and more painting supplies and more time to paint unless you pay someone in which case it is going to cost more in hourly labor.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 14:43   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The problem with wanting a boat that's like a flat to work in, is that boats are designed (or should be) to keep you safe in a seaway. Consider using the saloon table as your desk. Yes, it's a drag to have to clear it off for meals, but laptops are fairly easy to store safely when you're sailing, and can be on the settee next to you when you eat.

Take the sailing part seriously, or you'll wind up with a boat that doesn't have handholds, looks spacious, but will toss you around when you're in a seaway. Pick the smallest one that might work for you, and learn to live with it. Maybe you could make do with a second hand Django 24. Beautiful sailing boat, a couple of years ago, met a couple on one, here in Tasmania, who had come from Europe, via Cape Horn. The 30 ft. Bavaria, sails less well, but might be more to your liking.

Maybe you can find a 30 footer with an aft cabin. It is unlikely in that size range to have a desk, but you might be able to fit a drop down table to have an "isolated" work space. A well-found 30 ft. boat is adequate for a circumnavigation, but "well-found" is the key, and what you should have, ultimately.

Ann
Old 16-05-2023, 14:58   #7

Anton:

The way you ask your question indicates that you know very little about boats at all. That was true, once, for all of us. In my case, when I was three or four years old, I knew nothing about boats. Messing with boats for the 80 years since then has given me SOME knowledge, but I still have a lot to learn :-)!

Now, TrentePieds is a 30 footer, which is the low end of the range you specify. She was cheap to buy. I allocate Can$12,000 per year for her keep. That is 50% of her acquisition cost!!! But we can come back to that later.

TP has a displacement of 9,000 lbs, i.e. she weighs about 9,000 lbs. A 45-footer (the upper end of the range you specify) would typically have a displacement of 35,000 lbs, i.e. nearly 4 times as much. So why does displacement go up by a factor of 4 when length goes up by a factor of 1.5?

It's because boats are 3-dimensional things. When length goes up by 1.5, so does width (“beam”) and depth (“Draft”). So the volume of the hull goes up by a factor of 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5= 3.375, but the bigger boat is built of heavier materials so a factor of 4 when talking about weight is not unreasonable.

Comparing the cost of KEEPING one boat as compared with another, the cost difference stands in pretty direct relation to the difference in displacement, so the cost of KEEPING a 45-foot boat may be taken in rough terms to be four times as much as keeping a 30-foot boat. Acquisition cost has absolutely NOTHING to do with that!

You'll want to consider that before you let your dreams run away with you. :-)

In regard to you post #4: Yes, there is truth in it, but that can mislead you. In the crudest of terms, a boat that is designed to live in, as are the newer Bavarias, will sail in a VERY different way from an older Bavaria where seaworthiness bore greater emphasis than “livability”. You cannot say that a newer Bavaria sails better or worse than an older one. It's just different, and whether one or the other is better for YOU cannot be said until you have enuff experience to have developed a “skippering style”, or until you've decided where you are going to do the majority of sailing because sailing in the Aegaean is a very different thing from sailing in the Irish Sea.

Bonne chance :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 00:06   #8

Boat: Hunter 380

I don't think you would be very happy living aboard and working on a 30ft sailboat. For a sailboat to have a desk in a cabin you're likely looking at 45 ft or larger.

First I'd suggest taking some sailing lessons, then rent a boat for a week to start to learn what features you like.
cram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 00:29   #9

There are many ways people want and can cruise.

Another thing that might be worth looking into is the cost of marina's during high season. Staying in marina's for 5 days and move on weekends (if weather, sightseeing, maintenance allows) would add considerable cost. For a 40ish footer I think an easy 1.000 euro a month would not be excessive.

For example, we work parttime (1 of us 2-4 hours a day (more on rainy days ) and 1 of us 1-2 hours a day) onboard and we move in afternoons or days and we catchup on work on other days.

And this is only our 2nd season doing this and I wouldn't really mind working less
Eric Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 04:45   #10

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

A motorsailer with a pilot house or a trawler.
Better for the dog as well.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 04:58   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i think you are looking for a house .. not a boat. that being said .. you might be happy with a 40 or 50 foot trawler. be sure to decide on insurance and marina before you buy it.
Old 19-06-2024, 06:17   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The boat for 2 remote workers and a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Tokar View Post
Hello, cruisers!!

I am looking for a boat , a budget one, available for up to 50k euro (I’m in Europe and not ready to cross an ocean by boat) , about 30 -45 foot

Which would have a separate cabin with the dedicated desk, so either I or my GF can work there (having video and voice calls both of us at the same time from different rooms, one in the cabin , another one is saloon).
Like bow , or aft cabin + desk .

And preferably shower separated from the head, at least a shower zone in the head .

And maybe also stairs which are usable by French bulldog , not like ladder…

I would want such boat to live aboard and continue work remotely from the ports and marinas during the week , and change location and sail on the weekends .

And this way to travel the Med and then who knows what…

I discovered that all the boats layout is not very living friendly…

Please share your experience, ideas , knowledge!

Thanks
https://www.scanboat.com/en/boat-mar...er-38-17466797

https://www.scanboat.com/en/boat-mar...-1270-17438793

https://www.scanboat.com/en/boat-mar...-1983-17456472

Something to get you started..
Remember.. boating is about compromises, there is nothing stopping one from adapting a boats interior to suit like a bulkhead mounted fold up table in the aft cabin.
Boats are not suited as offices, it kinda defeats the purpose.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 06:45   #13

Boat: Hunter 340

It is funny how zombie posts live on. The post was made a year ago, the poster hasn't been back in six months. He either has a boat or has given up on the dream by now.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 07:16   #14

Boat: Hunter 380

My bad.... this thread came up in my feed, didn't notice the post date! LoL
cram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, remote, work