Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2015, 15:04   #871

Re: The criteria of "blue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Strange thread. Can't you just mix some red and green and you got your "blue" then and go?��
No, because blue is a primary colour. Your suggestion of red and green is just crap... In colour.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 15:48   #872

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
No, because blue is a primary colour. Your suggestion of red and green is just crap... In colour.
doh! It's been a while since I was in school.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 15:56   #873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
doh! It's been a while since I was in school.
So funny... That will teach yer ) - To be fair I had to think for a minute also. My recall is not as good either these day.
Old 29-07-2015, 15:57   #874
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcaptain View Post
Lol, I'm also hold a master unlimited and I can't think of another interested in sailing outside this forum...

For those interested in Cat Boats don't forget Wiliecats including.Randy Repass' yacht Convergence!

We think alike!

I was just about to mention the Wyliecat boats. I have studied them and am now posting a new thread about "Free Standing Masts" and any boat that has them is open for discussion there.

Why start a new thread?
Because I like to see threads on a focused topic and it allows that thread to develop in new ways not constrained by the old thread or older topics. And, some threads like this current one can get unwieldy and very long, so people interested in a more focused topic may never read the thread because of its size and general meandering.

Here is the new thread on Free Standing Masts on Sailboats

Sailboats with Free Standing Masts - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 16:23   #875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I was just about to mention the Wyliecat boats. I have studied them and am now posting a new thread about "Free Standing Masts" and any boat that has them is open for discussion there.
Are you familiar with the blast energy of 12 bore shot guns and the perils of poaching Steady Hand?

I found some opinions last night that prefer a boom on cat boat rather than a surf board style wishbone set up. I will see If I can root them out and post them on your new thread. They made me think some what because I also watched a video and heard reference to the same concerns.
Old 29-07-2015, 16:34   #876
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you familiar with the blast energy of 12 bore shot guns and the perils of poaching Steady Hand?

I found some opinions last night that prefer a boom on cat boat rather than a surf board style wishbone set up. I will see If I can root them out and post them on your new thread. They made me think some what because I also watched a video and heard reference to the same concerns.

Don't think of it as poaching.

I encourage you to post whatever you want on the topic (e.g. the photos you posted here recently would be appropriate) in the Free Standing Mast thread, because it is focused on that topic.

It is just a matter of focus.

Practically speaking many forum members do NOT follow or read completely any general thread such as this one because there is just too much content that goes off topic. Hence, it is good to have new threads start that are more focused. This is better for the forum and most members.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 17:57   #877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

Don't think of it as poaching.

It is just a matter of focus.

Practically speaking many forum members do NOT follow or read completely any general thread such as this one because there is just too much content that goes off topic. Hence, it is good to have new threads start that are more focused. This is better for the forum and most members.
It's ok SteadyHand - You can do your marketing here where nobody follows anything any time you want. No need to justify your rational.
Old 31-07-2015, 00:02   #878
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

But I think what he means by "qualified Master Mariner" is one who agrees with his myopic view of sailing ...
Sorry, Jim, myopic or better to say blind adherence to instructions of clever marketers may bring one to a disaster.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 01:20   #879

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Sorry, Jim, myopic or better to say blind adherence to instructions of clever marketers may bring one to a disaster.
This reminds me of the global warming debates. It's been a cold summer here in Finland for most of July so I guess global warming is a myth.

What about scientifically sound opinions? Where can we get some?
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 01:27   #880

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
... so I guess global warming is a myth...
They call it "climate change" now - more extremes.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 03:50   #881
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post

What about scientifically sound opinions? Where can we get some?
No deep scietific knowledge is required to distinguish rubbish from quality building materials. The thing is that "sellers" avoid discussing constrution materials they use to produce their product.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 15:02   #882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
No deep scietific knowledge is required to distinguish rubbish from quality building materials. The thing is that "sellers" avoid discussing constrution materials they use to produce their product.
Materials is one aspect of blue, ultimate stability another. I doubt that anyone would claim it is easy to distinguish good from bad in the advertising blurb - that's why we have nearly 60 pages of argument and discussion on this thread. I think the best "scientific" knowledge we have uncovered so far (since a vast input of expert knowledge went into it) is that boats assessed against the two EU standards at least meet a minimum level of stability and construction quality, with the stability standard being particularly useful, as it sets down a 'league table' of best to worst, not just pass or fail.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:54   #883

Lean it into the corners. Guy Martin would be proud...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lean.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	106965  
Old 08-08-2015, 15:12   #884

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Lean it into the corners. Guy Martin would be proud...
well now, that didn't look planned
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 16:01   #885

I'm also following the "sailboats with unstayed masts" thread: two posts yesterday got me thinking -
micah719 posted about 'whaleback' Chinese junks (deck is shaped like a whaleback, with wheelhouse set above, like a separate pod - if wheelhouse is wiped out in a storm then the hull below remains intact). In the same post he has a link to the most horrific storm photos I've ever seen, the waves continuing to rise to heights well over 20 meters once the hurricane force winds begin to abate. I hope I'm allowed to copy the link here:
'Here are some interesting pics I found on this site: (index) "The Storm" is an interesting collection of pictures...'

Makes me think again about the safety of pilothouse yachts. Though they rate highly in ultimate stability comparisons, if ever the pilothouse is breached (and it most certainly would be in a "storm" approaching anything like the ferocity portrayed in the photos) then survival chances would be negligible. Of course survival of any yacht in those conditions would seem unlikely but it's interesting that the ancient Chinese realized that those raised cabins or pilothouses are the most vulnerable.