Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 10:42   #1

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY ABOUT ALBIN NOVA

So in my never ending boat buying adventure that seems to be going on and on, I have come across a vessel that so far has extremely peeked my interest and I'm very much considering jumping on a plane and going to check it out. But I thought maybe I might be able to get some return information from anyone on the forum who may have some experience personally with this model or knows something about it. Now I've heard the ALBIN name kicked around quite a bit, such as the ALBIN vega which I believe is the 27' model. In fact I think Matt Rutherford sailed one around the Americas in his record breaking circumnavigation. And have heard they were a well built blue water boat. I'm looking at the 33' model it's a 1983, I m trying to find out the specs, such as the draft and beam. Would eventually be heading towards the Carribean and have to worry about getting in with a deep draft. I heard this boats draft is over 5 feet but not 100% sure about that! thanks, CaptSki.
shayski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY ABOUT ALBIN NOVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayski View Post
So in my never ending boat buying adventure that seems to be going on and on, I have come across a vessel that so far has extremely peeked my interest and I'm very much considering jumping on a plane and going to check it out. But I thought maybe I might be able to get some return information from anyone on the forum who may have some experience personally with this model or knows something about it. Now I've heard the ALBIN name kicked around quite a bit, such as the ALBIN vega which I believe is the 27' model. In fact I think Matt Rutherford sailed one around the Americas in his record breaking circumnavigation. And have heard they were a well built blue water boat. I'm looking at the 33' model it's a 1983, I m trying to find out the specs, such as the draft and beam. Would eventually be heading towards the Carribean and have to worry about getting in with a deep draft. I heard this boats draft is over 5 feet but not 100% sure about that! thanks, CaptSki.
One of CF's Members shows he owns an Albin Nova (33). You might contact him via a Private Message to ask what he thinks and knows. Or, he could be the owner of the boat you are considering, as I recall his boat is also a 1983 model.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: GregSteimel

Here is a second CF Member with that model boat (purchased in 2016): http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ar-185106.html

You mentioned draft and are concerned it may be over 5' and could pose a problem for you in the Caribbean. From many accounts told by CF Members, boats with 6 foot draft and even more are very common in the Caribbean, frequently cruise the Bahamas and Keys, and are generally "not a problem" when one watches the depth in known shallow waters, as everyone should.
_________

You mentioned you could not find much info or data on the Albin Nova 33.
I did a quick Google Search and found enough for me to see important things, and there is more (videos online, etc.).

Here is some info from Sailboatdata:
Hull Type: Fin w/spade rudder Rig Type: Fractional Sloop
LOA: 33.00' / 10.06m LWL: 26.25' / 8.00m
Beam: 10.33' / 3.15m Listed SA: 493 ft2 / 45.8 m2
Draft (max.) 5.50' / 1.68m Draft (min.)
Displacement: 8177 lbs./ 3709 kgs. Ballast: 3868 lbs. / 1755 kgs.
Sail Area/Disp.1: 19.50 Bal./Disp.: 47.32% Disp./Len.: 201.82
Designer: Peter Norlin
Builder: Albin Marine (SWE)
Construction: FG Bal. type:
First Built: 1981 Last Built: 1997 # Built: 500
AUXILIARY POWER (orig. equip.)
Make: Yanmar Model: 2GM
Type: Diesel HP:
TANKS
Water: 23 gals. / 87 ltrs. Fuel:

NOTE! According to Sailboatdata:
Sold or known by a number of names:
ALBIN 10 METER
ALBIN 99 NOVA
ALBIN NOVA
ALBIN NOVA 33
Later models were produced by Express Production AB of Sweden.

Hope this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	167785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	583
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	167786  

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	581
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	167787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	167788  

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	1073
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	167789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	1757
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	167790  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:01   #3

Thanks much!!
shayski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 20:00   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You might contact the guy who runs this website, he's from the UK and shows an Albin Nova 32(?... may be a typo) on the site as an example of a cruising boat. He may be able to get you in touch with Nova owner(s.)
https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/cr...yachts-30.html
Seems to be a fairly light boat for its size, at first glance. Should be very fast.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 20:12   #5

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

You can definitely tell the Nova had a different designer than the Vega! They really have no similarities at all.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:16   #6

Boat: Maxi 999

Lots of info here, you need to run it thru Google Translate tho unless you speak Swedish:
Albin Nova | Sailguide.com
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 23:08   #7

Boat: Maxi 100

Novaförbundet :: Start Link to the Swedish Nova association.
Centime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:48   #8

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayski View Post
SAILBOATDATA.COM Everything about Nova 33 ( Albin)
You're welcome.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:57   #9

I would encourage you to avoid PM'ing people directly unless it is an offline, personal discussion. The same with soliciting people to take useful conversations offline.

1) You reduce the pool of input from thousands, to just 1 individual.

2) You remove the information from being shared by other people.

Open discussion is really the intention and essence of a forum.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote