Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 03:57   #16

Re: The great multi vs mono debate

Let’s say for a second that budget was not a concern. Would you still choose a mono over a catamaran? What would be your realistic choice if you were choosing a 60’ or under mono/cat?
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 04:12   #17

6 people long term on a 46ft mono loaded with a couple tons of tools...sounds cramped and unfun.

Of course, for cargo carrying monos have an edge. That's why you don't see a lot of catamaran oil tankers. As cruising boats, that's not typically much of an issue.

Without going into it point by point, lots of incorrect statements in the original post. For example, stability actually increases as you load up a catamaran.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 09:55   #18

Having the advantage of age I am able to distance myself from the squabling and back biting!!????
I see US Male Homo not so Sapiens as being clearly divided into two camps!
THOSE THAT GOLF vs THOSE WHO DO NOT GOLF.

Playing Golf on a multi hull is challenging but possible ---God bless them and good luck!
Playing golf on a monohull ( if less than 150 feet overall ) Nahhhh Too hard
so those guys can go Sailing.

I like Sailing better than Golf so! ??? When the Alligators learn that there are Golfers on multi-hulls ----- They will solve the problem for us "single-minded " People Michael Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:12   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
How much do 2 people need to carry on a Lagoon 38.. I'd have trouble reaching the weight limits for a transat.
But then I am not obsessed with redundancies.
Same goes for a Bene 331..
The weight of two people's personal gear, and their bodies, is negligible compared to the weight of your supplies, safety and maintenance gear.

Since you asked the question, I suppose you may not have the experience of having to repair your boat or feed yourself in very remote places.

By the time you have spent a few years of cruising away from the main ports and with a budget that does not allow professional maintenance of everything on your boat, you will have become by necessity a DIY person. Now that requires having lots of tools and miscellaneous gear on board.

Everyone's list of equipment on board will be different, but it is always substantial since once you leave the US or Europe you will simply not find these items anywhere convenient, if at all.
Old 20-05-2020, 11:57   #20

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELC View Post
Ok, hoping it stays polite. Some folks asked to have the discussion so here goes with my two bits.

30 years of living aboard, sailing some cruising, building, repairing, rebuilding, owned a boatyard for a while and was a surveyor. Learned to sail on an early Piver tri. Have sailed tris, cats, monos of heavy to light displacement and even ran a 114 foot motor yacht.

I like them all but can only use one and right now the choice is a moderate to heavy displacement mono. My reasons are based on our needs and experience. Now, others may make very different choices based on different needs.

So here goes. My wife and I are part of a nonprofit that will be working around more remote stretches of the South Pacific. Taking 4 person teams and also helping with projects requiring my skills and tools. I carry a lot of tools. They weigh a lot. But that's what we need.

We have a 46 foot ketch that made the final cut. Now it's loaded but not overloaded and that's important. Moderate to heavy displacement boats can handle more weight safely for their size than a multi. Hard truth but there it is.

Yes, they are slower and yes they heel but I'm good with that. If you pick a good one they will structurally take more abuse than a multi.

If you like a multi you really, really want to look at the design cruising load. That's not a recommendation it's a hard fact. When it's exceeded speed and stability drop fast and structural stresses increase.

Again, I like multis but I've seen soooooo many suffering from overloading. I've worked on structural failures on them that had one crossing, others less than a decade old (they are built on a very fine weight/strength line) and other issues.

To some they like the lack of heeling but honestly I like the slower roll motion and am very use to heeling. I knew one couple who did the switch to a Cat. One pacific crossing and the Cat was sold and back to a mono. They didn't like the faster roll and he developed neck issues. Back to a mono. Not the only case I know of!

Yes, they can handle heavy weather but I have seen problems. One very avid lifelong multihull sailor summed it up well to me. You can let a monohull mind itself hove to or ahull in extremis but for safety you need to tend a multihull all the time. Just my opinion maybe some others are braver!

I've weathered my share of hurricanes on board up to a borderline cat 5. I hope I've filled my quota on any boat but truth is multihulls can have issues in them. You have lots of windage. Lots. And to keep the weight within that magic cruising load limit many are not heavy on ground tackle. The worst example was the luxury dive trimaran a friend was anchored next to in a Cat 5. Fully crewed it went airborne, rolled over and dove in. Three crew didn't make it out. My friend survived undamaged aside from his nerves. I can relate.

Chris White, a good designer in my book, has written some good stuff on the realities of choosing multihulls. Since he's a well regarded designer I found it good reading!

Now if I could find a Cat that could carry enough weight, be sailed by two and be within budget I might go for it but right now the die is cast and we are committed!

And one day I really want to sail a proa!

Let's hear your take on it!
The big advantage with cats is they go faster so you don't need to stock 3 months worth of provisions. With a decent solar array and a good water maker you also don't need to haul 1,500 lbs. of water around - which would make up for a lot of tools (I'm assuming you're not carrying a Unisaw ).
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 12:00   #21

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Let’s say for a second that budget was not a concern. Would you still choose a mono over a catamaran? What would be your realistic choice if you were choosing a 60’ or under mono/cat?
For the cost of a 60' cat, I would easily get a 75' or 80' mono with the same amount of space and a much more comfortable ride.

I think many cat buyers watch sailboat races (heeled over) and read about fast cats (no cruising gear). Then they tour a cat at a boat show. Before they do any sailing, their minds are made up. It is excellence in advertising.

The reality is closer to comparing a 55 - 60' yacht to a 45' cat. In cost, living space, and speed, they are similar. Then look at safety, capacity, and comfort.

To answer the question; if I had the funds for a 60' cat, I would look for an 80' monohull.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 12:06   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

..and then there is: if the multihull is twice as fast as a monohull, you're spending half the time out and may need half the supplies!
by the way.. this discussion seems to be ignoring trimarans!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 12:17   #23

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
In the real world, budget is a concern and a very real constraint.

There are a few wealthy people among us who enjoy the cruising lifestyle. Without meaning any offense, maybe your question is real to them. Your question is meaningless to me. My 45' cutter outperforms what I could buy in a multihull for the same price.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 12:20   #24

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
The weight of two people's personal gear, and their bodies, is negligible compared to the weight of your supplies, safety and maintenance gear.

Since you asked the question, I suppose you may not have the experience of having to repair your boat or feed yourself in very remote places.

By the time you have spent a few years of cruising away from the main ports and with a budget that does not allow professional maintenance of everything on your boat, you will have become by necessity a DIY person. Now that requires having lots of tools and miscellaneous gear on board.

Everyone's list of equipment on board will be different, but it is always substantial since once you leave the US or Europe you will simply not find these items anywhere convenient, if at all.

You're seriously questioning Boatie's credentials?
Old 20-05-2020, 13:07   #25
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
You're seriously questioning Boatie's credentials?

I found that kinda humorous myself
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:30   #26
NNK

Interesting reading, we would love/have loved a cat to do our upcoming trip/life but figured the $ difference would not leave enough at home to be able to cruise as long.
Maybe thats not the only reason for us to go mono .

Cheers everyone
NNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
.by the way.. this discussion seems to be ignoring trimarans!
Of course, the red headed step child is ignored.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:43   #28

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I think most people....even multihullers such as myself, would agree that you have chosen the right platform for the job intended.

For me, since I am old guy and only want coastal sailing...or island hoping like Bahamas...my needs demand a small boat that can be trailered. So, I chose a trimaran that can be disassembled and transported. Heavy displacement boats are adept at crossing large tracts of sea and carry all of the stuff needed for repairs and long times away from repair facilities. I have no interest in such things.

So, it always comes down to picking the right horse for the race. I have my nature and needs. I chose trimaran for speed, shallow draft, light weight, small gas outboard, minimalistic accomodations, and cost very little to maintain.

My dingy is a 200 dollar kayak two seater. My outboard is 2500 dollars and will last longer than I will. I have a used Engel freezer/fridge that I use as a freezer and a 150 dollar Yeti-like cool box....keeps ice for a week. No need to carry tons of tools. Spark plug wrench and some wrenches. Maybe 50 lbs of tools.

So, no argument what so ever with the OP statements. I would do the same if I was a round tripper. But I can sail venues all over north America in one season. Can you get your maxi boat to Great Lakes, Sea of Cortez, and San Francisco delta in one season? I spend a thousand dollars a year for storage and that is it. There are reasons that trailerable boats have a niche in the sailing community. I am part of that subset. Wouldn't do it any other way...no need and no interest.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:46   #29

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELC View Post
Ok, hoping it stays polite. Some folks asked to have the discussion so here goes with my two bits.....
That seems to be taking hope to a new level. Though I will admit it hasn't fallen apart yet.

Not so much two bits as a Benjamin or two.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:54   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
For the cost of a 60' cat, I would easily get a 75' or 80' mono with the same amount of space and a much more comfortable ride.

I think many cat buyers watch sailboat races (heeled over) and read about fast cats (no cruising gear). Then they tour a cat at a boat show. Before they do any sailing, their minds are made up. It is excellence in advertising.

The reality is closer to comparing a 55 - 60' yacht to a 45' cat. In cost, living space, and speed, they are similar. Then look at safety, capacity, and comfort.

To answer the question; if I had the funds for a 60' cat, I would look for an 80' monohull.
I think it’s an interesting dilemma, the issue with an 80’ monohull is I don’t think a couple (the average man & wife)could cruise it comfortably and safely. Docking in with a 30 mph crosswind in a tight marina with 2 people is exciting enough on a 46 footer! (Like we did in Sweden last summer lol) I suppose like any boat you get used to it. For us in our decision making process the deep draft of a big mono would be the downside, but the swing keels allowing you to get into 3’ of water would be really nice.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote