Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2021, 06:49   #1

Exclamation The importance of hoses and inspection!

In the process of changing the oil on my YSM8, I noticed (felt) a bubble in the raw water line from the impeller to the head.

This is a new, quality manufacturer (Parker) hose, installed spring of 2020. This defect is below the water line. Although a non-rotating impeller prevents flow, it certainly isn't a seacock.

Inspect your hoses regularly. Replace anything that is marginal. Your hull may be a solid layup of 1 1/2" think fiberglass, but flexible rubber hose is all that stands between the ocean and the inside of your boat.

And of course, carry spare hose of all diameters on your boat.

- AT's PSA. Now to finish this oil change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1230210933a.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	250525  
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 06:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: The importance of hoses and inspection!

"flexible rubber hose is all that stands between the ocean and the inside of your boat."

Amen on that. Same goes for the seacocks and the hose clamps. Glad you found it - that's positively defective.
Old 30-12-2021, 12:11   #3

Boat: Hylas 54

I'll add a photo to this PSA. This hose ran from a cockpit drain to a below the waterline seacock, so the bottom 18" or so was always full of seawater. This is a 3" diameter hose, and if it had let go no bilge pump could have saved me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210710_160256.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	250528  
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 12:22   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Might was well check the exhaust hose for cracks and splits, while we're all at it.

Brand new friggin' hose? I'd be ticked.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 13:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
I'll add a photo to this PSA. This hose ran from a cockpit drain to a below the waterline seacock, so the bottom 18" or so was always full of seawater. This is a 3" diameter hose, and if it had let go no bilge pump could have saved me.
My cockpit scuppers looked just like this. I pushed a screwdriver through the wall of one (easily) to pry against the seacock barb to get it off.

A lot of people were wondering why I was talking so long to splash after buying the boat, and many pshawed the response. But all my below the water line hoses were made new as of 2020, with new all 316 non-perferated clamps. 2x per end if the barb could support it.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:35   #6

Don't forget your fuel fill hose. I replaced mine when I bought my boat as I was sure it was original to the boat. It didn't take much flexing at all trying to pull it before it cracked through at both the deck fill AND tank end. Tank was empty for cleaning, replaced the vent line at the same time. Send and return lines were new from a recent repower.

The guy who did the survey did make a note about the probable age but it wasn't a fix or replace now item.
I've always found it much easier and cheaper to do planned preventative maintenance than an emergency repair at 3am in foul conditions....
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, inspection