Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2010, 13:15   #46

How does the Young Sun 35 Cutter look with your numbers? Only thing on your original list is teak topside but not on the deck. Nice Bob Perry design that I didn't see on your list yet. No personal experience with it, just had a look at one.
Greg
Old 31-05-2010, 13:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Not a fan of clipper bows.
Yeah, but they are pirate girl magnets. Tell them your Bayfield also has a bathtub and you'll have to fight them off.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 13:41   #48

Boat: PETERSON 44
Their called pirate girls for a reason. They'll steal your heart leave you fir dead and while you are gasping your last breath. A collection agency will call wondering if are planning on paying off the maceys card you didn't know you had. Apparantly you bought a grands worth of skin care products. nail polish and something that promises to remove nipple hair yikes. Stick with a boat that is a performer look for girls that aren't pirates and have have hairy nipples.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 13:56   #49

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
Take a look at a Fraser 30 if you can find one.

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 14:41   #50

I know the Contessa since I have one having been through this process. True in a reputable review it is described as like a submarine, referring to water over the decks. I can't say I have seen this despite going through a gale with wind over a 2-3 knot tide.
My understanding is that a heavier boat will tend to be wetter whereas a lighter boat will tend to be bouncier.
I think the issue with the Contessa is mainly spray coming up about a metre back from the bow and being blown back into the cockpit. which makes it wet and unpleasant despite a sprayhood. My solution is to mount teak strakes to divert the water back down. I did this on another boat to excellent effect.
It is a very good seaboat capable of going anywhere and being singlehanded. I like the wide decks and bulwarks which give a sense of security when going forard. I know of people who have lived and sailed long distances on 32' and there are cost advantages.
However there is a degree of space and comfort missing that another 4' might well provide. It depends on one's age, tolerance of others onboard, and of discomfort. It also depends on whether on is actually going to do significant blue water sailing in fact.
Having been through the process and looked over many boats although the numbers here are limited over a long period, I opted for this because it fitted my budget at the time although a bit smaller than my preference and because it had many of the offshore items required like SSB windvane steering etc that can add up. That said it still required a lot of work and $$. It was the right choice for me at that time from what was available. Whether it remains so depends on various things.
Your choice will be wider, but I daresay you will encounter much the same issues. Hidden problems, budget restraints etc. I found spending an hour or more on initial appraisal of a boat valuable then doing a detailed research on them including owner blogs.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 15:46   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

For Christmas to live on forever.... a Westerly Longbow...

Built like a Brick shithouse, looks like a camper van and goes like **** of a shovel....

Or how about a Rival 31... this ones logged over 200,000 miles and 7 circumnav's

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 16:19   #52

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I have a CD30 and love her, strong, good sailor but mainly only good for one to two people to live aboard. I really like the Allied Seawind, she is a great sailor, very spacious for her size and strong. The morgans are great, a great design and spacious but haven't sailed one yet.
Also,
Islander Freeport is a sweet vessel, nice living space down below. Tartan 37 is great sailboat, very strong and comfortable offshore.

Erika
Old 31-05-2010, 21:12   #53
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Dunno if you have been onboard one? but not spacious down below. ...
Yes you are right about that. Not a great amout of space...well, you have a small cockpit, a small pilot house eating away at 30 ft. Surprised there is anything left. 32 amd 34 may add a few more feet. 37 also but all those sizes are rare or over my budget at least for now.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 21:18   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...If you can find a Morris in your budget, don't even think twice about -- just do it.
Good advice. Shifts my priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think you should also think twice (three times, if necessary to dispell any foolishness) about rejecting roller furling....To get your flexibility of sail plan you just need a cutter rig (best for offshore) or at least some kind of inner forestay.
Well, I never was comfortable about roller reefing to begin with. I'm used to heavy jib with reef points, so to me its not a real threat on a sloop. Unhank before things get to rough and ride the storm jib. Keep windage down. Just an idea.

Cutter, I would think more on.

Either way I would want inner forstay for a storm
Old 31-05-2010, 21:31   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8trn View Post
How does the Young Sun 35 Cutter look with your numbers? Only thing on your original list is teak topside but not on the deck. Nice Bob Perry design that I didn't see on your list yet. No personal experience with it, just had a look at one.
Greg
Young Sun 35 - 7/10 very well. A top contender. Unfortunately, as you say, teak decks. Maybe someone will have the sense to remove them and glass it over.
Old 31-05-2010, 21:38   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
For Christmas to live on forever.... a Westerly Longbow...

Built like a Brick shithouse, looks like a camper van and goes like **** of a shovel....

Or how about a Rival 31... this ones logged over 200,000 miles and 7 circumnav's[/CENTER]
Rival 31 is a great boat. Hard to find one though in the states. Rival 34 is my choice, but all Rivals good.

Westerly - no bridge deck. love the sparseness. 4/10 in my scoring
Old 31-05-2010, 21:57   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I have a CD30 and love her, strong, good sailor but mainly only good for one to two people to live aboard. I really like the Allied Seawind, she is a great sailor, very spacious for her size and strong. The morgans are great, a great design and spacious but haven't sailed one yet.
Also,
Islander Freeport is a sweet vessel, nice living space down below. Tartan 37 is great sailboat, very strong and comfortable offshore.

Erika

Allied Seawind Ketch MK II gets a 5/10 in my book. anything over 4 is good IMHO.

I have bad feelings about Tartans in general...maybe because I lost a few too many races when I crewed for other folks in my days I guess. The 3500, 37 and 3700 are supposed to be good, but I believe they all have centerboards...or is that scent-or-bored.

Islander Freeport 36 = 5/10 She is extremely beamy though at 12 feet!

I still keep the CD 30 in mind!
Old 31-05-2010, 22:08   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteele235 View Post
Take a look at a Fraser 30 if you can find one.
Cant find the numbers, but here is a pilot house

1976 Fraser Pilot House Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Isn't that diesel stove just to die for? i LOVE IT.

Seems all the boats I want are in Canada.

Horizon Steel Motor Sailor - anyone?
Old 31-05-2010, 22:17   #59
cruiser

Ahh a Young Sun 35 that has a fiberdeck

1981 Young Sun Mackinaw Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 31-05-2010, 23:33   #60

When exactly do you plan to buy?
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote