Margaritaville 0 0%
Captains Lair 0 0%
Sea-Esta 0 0%
Field Trip! 3 10.34%
Clew Less 2 6.90%
Little Otter 15 51.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 05:36   #16

Boat: 48' Hi Star
I've never been a fan of "slogans" as names for a boat. A boat's name should be a name and not an advertisement or a joke, in my opinion. It should be respectful of the boat.

Some of the cutesy names I've seen make me wonder what the owners "really" call their boats when they talk about them. Do they really tell their friends they are going out on the "Bada-Bing, Bada-Boom" (I've seen this one) or do they just say they are going out the "the boat" because they haven't really named their boat, just pasted a slogan on it.

Remember, you have to be able to repeat the name of your boat to the Coast Guard and other officials. We've had problems with our boat name FantaSea (not my idea) when some of the lock masters on the Tombigbee River didn't understand it and called it the "Fancy"

I don't remember where I read it, maybe on this forum, but imagine the captain of the boat "Oh Baby" hearing the Coast Guard calling over the VHF --- "Oh Baby, Oh Baby, Oh Baby -- this is the Coast guard."

I voted for Little Otter. It's a nice name and respectful of the boat. Good luck and try to choose a name that you will still be proud of a year from now.

Cheers.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:28   #17

Boat: Watkins 27
"Alcyone" mean Goddess of the Sea.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:09   #18

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Helpful link for boat renaming....Boat re-naming ceremony - Nautical Know How
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:14   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I have to agree with your screen name. You won't see it duplicated, and to us....IT'S YOU!!!!!!! Have fun choosing the name......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:42   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
would it be an insult to say I don't like any of them?!
Not to be a stick in the mud, but I agree. I would not want any of those names on the transom of my boat. I have never cared for cutesie names or names that are a play on words. I tend to like female names since traditionally boats are a she. Names need to give the boat some dignity as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:09   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

I voted Little Otter, "clever" names do get tired quickly.

But having said that......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
imagine the captain of the boat "Oh Baby" hearing the Coast Guard calling over the VHF --- "Oh Baby, Oh Baby, Oh Baby -- this is the Coast guard."
......now that is a tempter
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:14   #22

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
pirate Since ancient times

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Not to be a stick in the mud, but I agree. I would not want any of those names on the transom of my boat. I have never cared for cutesie names or names that are a play on words. I tend to like female names since traditionally boats are a she. Names need to give the boat some dignity as well.
Well said David!

Boats have been a she since ancient times. Since Ancient Greece in fact, where the word for a ship was [pronounced] Nafs and was a feminine noun. This is still with us. Think of navy, nautical etc...
So yes give a feminine name.
Lots of boats over here bear the name of the mother, the daughter etc. of the owner. Like this you not only honour the boat, you also honour the person whose name you gave.

Caveat:- Don't choose the name of your current date, flame, girlfriend ...
even giving the wife's name is questionable.

If none of the females in your life is inspiring enough you could opt for a name from mythology (Nafsika, Circe), history (La Nina), geography (Georgia, Virginia) or marine lore (Mermaid, Medusa, Siren). Read the Odyssey or Viking epics for inspiration.

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:47   #23

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider View Post
To my knowledge and I might be wrong, but if you are renaming an used boat. You have to strip the old name off the boat everywhere, not even a lifejacket can bare the old name. Then you have to intive a group of your closest friends and get a bottle of rum.

After asking Posiden to close the books on the old name. You Cheers to him and pour him a shot of rum ( which you pour over board) . After Asking him to open the books on the new name you pray to him to look after the boat and its crew and then pass the bottle of rum around to your friends and Cheers to the new boat name.

Its been a long time since I read the particulars so I might be missing a few rituals. But the point of this is to make your own mark on the vessel and the sea with Posidens permission to do so.

Cheers

Todd
Thanks for posting that Todd

Now...and how many of you sticks in the mud actually do this..?? And your critiquing a cuties name....OH BROTHER..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 14:05   #24

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Thanks guys and thanks for adding the last two names, Todd this boat does not have a name that is why I am looking for a name, I wouldn't even think of renameing a boat to much bad juju. But this is a good start we just need more people to vote.
Old 04-12-2008, 15:17   #25

Boat: San Juan 28
There's probably a thousand boats with this name but every time I sail past The Other Woman on the way to the slip I crack a smile.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 15:54   #26

Boat: Watkins 27
Circe is not a name I would put on a boat. Here is an insert of her.

Circe was the daughter of Hecate (or Perse) and Helios (the Sun-God). She was a union of opposites. Just look at her parents: one is the Dark Moon and the other is the Sun. The sorcery bit goes hand in hand with the celestial powers, so that's alright, but just mentioning that she was witchy does not begin to encompass her. Her biggest part is played in the Odyssey, and she had her own island (near her dad's, actually) off the coast of Italy where she liked to catch sailors and other random men and turn them into things (like pigs).
Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 16:12   #27

Boat: J-23 (yes, world's only) "Sound Runner", Wellcraft "Shakedown 1979"
i like little otter best also... sadly if you walk the docks of the nantucket boat basin, or cruise around the mooring field in antigua, you will see all of those other names at least once. i once worked on a Panacea (a name done to death, i know) but down below the name Sorciere was etched into just about every glass cabinet. the owner told me that when he purchased the boat and renamed it, he tried to keep not necesserily a rhyming word, but the general gist of the sounds similar. i've read about boat naming about 100 times over while bored & picking up a boat US or US sailing mag. i think i've heard the toasting to neptune method before (just so long as it's Moutnt Gay lol) i dunno... i've never been partial to womens names OR silly puns. my favorite boat names (already taken, of course so i wouldn't reccomend) are Gleam, Columbia, Dorade, Avalon, Nefertiti, Dirigo, Surprise, White Wings, Equus, Osprey, Intrepid, Cara Mia, Alera, Amorita... etc...
GigiDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 17:48   #28

How about, Breaking Wind, kinda funny I think
SteveRobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 18:05   #29

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--
I do not recommend this one, but we once raced against a boat named

Blew By You (for those not familiar, a play on the song Blue Bayou)'
I thought it was clever. Also another boat was named "Coulda been Paris"

cheers!
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 18:53   #30
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLocal View Post
I do not recommend this one, but we once raced against a boat named Blew By You (for those not familiar, a play on the song Blue Bayou)' I thought it was clever.
When Linda Ronstadt released her Simple Dreams album in late 1977 near the end of the major league baseball season, it quickly became one of the best-selling albums of its era. Among the singles on that album was, of course, Blue Bayou (an old Roy Orbison song).

Even before that major league season was over, pro baseball players were referring to batters who could never catch up to a blazing fastball as having been given the "Ol' Linda Ronstadt." Of course, the reference was to a pitch that "blew by you."

You'll hear the same sense occasionally, still, whenever someone is passed by something so fast that he seems almost unaware.

Few people younger than, well, me I guess, get the Linda Ronstadt part anymore.

TaoJones