Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 04:12   #1

Boat: Colvic Countess 33
The NEW tender and outboard MUD DISASTER... Got to love outboards !

And…
WE decided to buy a NEW dinghy and Outboard so as to not be trapped by wind and currents on tidal waters.
I felt that I did not want to have the hassle of having a used engine dying on us at the worst possible time. We bought a Zodiac 2.7 Alu and a Mariner 8HP so that we would have the power needed to fight any wind or tide. What could go wrong?
We’ve been told that there are some issues with fuel and outboards stopping because of that. I HIGHLY doubt that and I’m going to try to get to the bottom of it. We did Buy Fuel from BP. The outboard died 4 or 5 times and at some stage was impossible to restart. I ended up removing the spark plugs and cleaning them as best I could, they were as brown as 10-year-old spark plugs. With 3 or 4 hours of use. I managed to restart the outboard but by that time wind had pushed us onto the worst possible place to dry out and the tide was all but gone, I decided to sacrifice the prop should I touch ground, which I did, in order to get us as close to the main channel as possible.
As I grew up around mud flats and have been taught how to handle them and rescue people from them I did know what I was doing. I got Phil 2 lengths of plywood so that he could move on top of very fine sediment. We dragged the boat and outboard up to where we could tie it up but as we were already mere meters from a place that could hold our weight we decided to haul it all out.
We were carrying all the safety equipment that I personally think we should have on board. We had tools, rope, water, each carries a portable VHF radio and life vests, we had mobile phones with coverage (spotty at best but working) and my wife on the hard should we need more assistance.
We had to throw away: 2 pairs of new sailing shoes, 2 pairs of pants, my jeans and Phil’s, socks, undies, a T-shirt, My wife’s shoes as she did assist in getting the outboard out.
Please be advised that ANY tidal mud flat, even the ones you think you know can be extremely dangerous and should be handled with caution at all times. My first worry was exposure as the temperature was 6 degrees Celsius and we were completely wet, from literally crawling on the mud and later a nice torrential rain that helped wash away the mud we had on us.
We made it safely to the hard with only our pride and a few articles of clothing in tatters.
I am going tot try and get to the bottom of this. I refuse to believe that the fuel is the reason why a shiny NEW outboard stop working like this one did.
Be safe and laugh your head off at silly us.
We have a small video on YouTube showing as much as I could capture when full of mud, cold and soaking wet.

SV Oddity on youtube.
https://youtu.be/EzLPPqS8CGo
SVOddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: The NEW tender and outboard MUD DISASTER... Got to love outboards !

And then there’s this ➥ Helicopter to the rescue, but not the way you might think - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I just had to laugh. Seriously that HAS to be some joke lol.

I’m just majorly peeved that I spent a mint on a NEW dinghy and Outboard NOT to have this problem and being told that fuel is the problem.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:10   #4

Hopefully a stupid question...... but is the new motor a two stroke? Did you forget to put oil in the fuel (even oil injected two strokes often need premixed oil/fuel for the first few hours)
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:14   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOddity View Post
I just had to laugh. Seriously that HAS to be some joke lol.

I’m just majorly peeved that I spent a mint on a NEW dinghy and Outboard NOT to have this problem and being told that fuel is the problem.
You can fight the ongoing problem of dirt and water in the carburetor or install a decent sized filter/water trap in the fuel line between tank and engine and live happily ever after.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickt243 View Post
Hopefully a stupid question...... but is the new motor a two stroke? Did you forget to put oil in the fuel (even oil injected two strokes often need premixed oil/fuel for the first few hours)
It's a 4 stroke, and I did take the precaution of buying the fuel from BP for the first burn.

At this stage I've heard from the agent that the fuel was to blame, then there was no water coming from the jet after a while of running on his tank. so now I'm waiting to hear what the "new" idea is.

Me thinking that this were things from days gone.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
You can fight the ongoing problem of dirt and water in the carburetor or install a decent sized filter/water trap in the fuel line between tank and engine and live happily ever after.
you would think that it would be something for the manufacturer to sort out. I do stand corrected in thinking that this OLD problems were no longer an issue..
I'm still in denial at this stage. My mind is going " naaaah it can't be "
Old 10-04-2018, 01:19   #8

As the other half of SV Oddity, i have to say for me it was a very steep learning curve. I know very little about outboards and am still learning all I can about sailing and its dangers. This experience will definately stay with me for life.
PhilOddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 13:29   #9

Boat: Contessa 28

Afraid of starting a CF war on fuels... I would recommend a propane leer outboard. Propane fuel starts right away. Does not need the choke, Fuel is always clean, has no ethanol (aka water) and it doesn't spill.
I had the outboard for two years and never let me down. And I need the propane tanks for my stove anyway. Now they have Kevlar lined plastic tanks that does not rust
Just my two cents
GJori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 14:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJori View Post
Afraid of starting a CF war on fuels... I would recommend a propane leer outboard. Propane fuel starts right away. Does not need the choke, Fuel is always clean, has no ethanol (aka water) and it doesn't spill.
I had the outboard for two years and never let me down. And I need the propane tanks for my stove anyway. Now they have Kevlar lined plastic tanks that does not rust
Just my two cents
I ALMOST bought one.. but then had to go petrol... Still to hear something from the agent, they blamed it on the fuel, but then the jet stopped and now they are silent as a mouse.
Old 12-04-2018, 15:32   #11

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I bought a new Honda tender outboard. It stops occasionally. I found the fuel line is softer than the old one and squashes easily if the fuel tank or something else is on top of it. The quick coupling came off once but I put that down to me not connecting a tight new fitting properly.
Old 12-04-2018, 15:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I bought a new Honda tender outboard. It stops occasionally. I found the fuel line is softer than the old one and squashes easily if the fuel tank or something else is on top of it. The quick coupling came off once but I put that down to me not connecting a tight new fitting properly.
That was my very first thought. I thought I was squashing the line with my feet or a kink. I did bleed and checked pressure and was all good. Fuel was flowing and there was pressure and the Air cap well open to allow ventilation. I'm more inclined to think it has something to do with the outboards getting hot and somehow disrupting fuel delivery. But hey not my field I'm afraid.
I am very eagerly awaiting the words of wisdom from them.

Tags
outboard, tender