Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 15:04   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: The Sailor's Life for Me

So, I wonder why you want opinions of "Old Salts" if your mind is made up anyways
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 15:16   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymadman View Post
One Catalina 36 owner has posted on another forum that he is able to stay at the bow to dodge lobster pots using one of my autopilot remote controls and has likened it to playing a video game :-)

....... sure, this would be my concern with such an underwater design. Others, like myself, simply ignore the pots and drive over them day or night without catching them

What's a "featherduster"?
.....I used this term just to describe those light wind performance boats that excell up to ten knots, but need to start consider reefing over 15.
Old 04-10-2013, 15:19   #18

Boat: Ross 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
.....I used this term just to describe those light wind performance boats that excell up to ten knots, but need to start consider reefing over 15.
Makes sense :-)

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:05   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
70 isn't that old
...I like this thought and understand your meaning; but then, 70 is eactly that old. I'm all for recognizing age and deciding how to confront aging. There are battles to choose, but they would be a big drift on this thread. I'm posing this question as a new thread on the "General Sailing" forum.
Old 04-10-2013, 16:19   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I'm really curious how a 70+ year old manages the ladders and stairs and climbing about the decks, moving sails around, getting in/out of dinghy, lifting the outboard, etc.
Not to mention on a monohull the inevitable banging and bruising.
<br>
Very good question. Again I say you have to get to know me. I'm a Vietnam Marine Vet. Should be enough said but I will go on. The Avatar is me. I own 2 motorcycles. I did have 3. All are fairly well scuffed up on the bottoms from leaning well into the curves. I take them up to their hull speed quite often. Owned a race horse that never lost a race. When he was 10 he broke the 6 1/2 furlong record. We constantly bucked heads. Sometimes he even won. Own an off-road jeep that I built up myself from the ground. Been all over the Colorado trails including Black Bear. Owned a Mako 20ft that I went offshore in the gulf all the time. Fished the TX TIFT every year I lived in the valley. Been out in storms that would make your 40 footers duck for cover. I have 100% disability for physical problems, 100% disability for PTSD. World been trying to kill me for years. Doctor told me you break anymore bones they might not heal up again. I joke about being a poor man's Hemingway. I haven't run with the bulls yet though. Maybe if I passage to Espania I may yet do it. My motto is my own creation "To Him who does not fear Death; The World is His Playground"
Old 04-10-2013, 16:25   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimtex View Post
<br>
Very good question. Again I say you have to get to know me. I'm a Vietnam Marine Vet. Should be enough said but I will go on. The Avatar is me. I own 2 motorcycles. I did have 3. All are fairly well scuffed up on the bottoms from leaning well into the curves. I take them up to their hull speed quite often. Owned a race horse that never lost a race. When he was 10 he broke the 6 1/2 furlong record. We constantly bucked heads. Sometimes he even won. Own an off-road jeep that I built up myself from the ground. Been all over the Colorado trails including Black Bear. Owned a Mako 20ft that I went offshore in the gulf all the time. Fished the TX TIFT every year I lived in the valley. Been out in storms that would make your 40 footers duck for cover. I have 100% disability for physical problems, 100% disability for PTSD. World been trying to kill me for years. Doctor told me you break anymore bones they might not heal up again. I joke about being a poor man's Hemingway. I haven't run with the bulls yet though. Maybe if I passage to Espania I may yet do it. My motto is my own creation "To Him who does not fear Death; The World is His Playground"
Hell!!...feel free to use my quote too...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:37   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
<br>
Well then have at it.
I would lean to the Catalina but would choose neither. I am a catamaran (cat) man. Maybe just a pussy, but hey - I have over 250k miles on bikes (motorcycles).
Old 04-10-2013, 17:27   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

Pilgrimtex from one Marine to another let me say Semper Fidelis and Thank you for your service!!! My father was a helo pilot with the Army 101st from 71-72 so I have nothing but respect for what you did.

If I lived near Texas I'd say I'd love to help you out with rigging up your boat for your future adventures, but i dont, so what I will offer is if you ever find your self sailing up to New England hit me up and I will buy your drinks for the night as long as you supply the Vietnam stories.

I wish you the best of luck with your dreams and adventures. Semper fi and God Bless
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:28   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
............................ I have 100% disability for physical problems, 100% disability for PTSD ..............
I'm confused by the description of all you do and term 100% disability. I assume that someone with 100% disability requires a device to assist breathing. Is this some government or military 100% that really means something different from 100%? My purpose is not to dishonor your service or loss, but simply to understand what designates 100%.
Old 04-10-2013, 18:11   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

va services gives money as to percent of disability. their own designations and determinations.

what keepsa sailor young is not the automated and electrical whatchjamakallits..it is working hard and using your body.
i row and i am able to pull sheets and halyards, yeti donot use my thumbs, which are nearly completely nonfunctional.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 18:19   #26

Quote:
I'm confused by the description of all you do and term 100% disability. I assume that someone with 100% disability requires a device to assist breathing. Is this some government or military 100% that really means something different from 100%? My purpose is not to dishonor your service or loss, but simply to understand what designates 100%.
<br>
I left the Marine Corps in a full body spica cast from armpits to ankles. in 1969. Was 60%. Fought PTSD until 2008 when They diagnosed it. 100%. Agent orange wants to kill me. Heart problems, Diabetes, and on and on. all told 100%. Had received soc sec disability till I reached retirement age. Couldn't work.<br>
Does it hurt? yes. do I get up anyway? Yes.
go to Facebook and look up Texas County Veterans. A 501(c)(3) Corp. That I founded. You'll find out more there.
Old 04-10-2013, 20:28   #27

Well, I posted to get some feel on the 315. Earlier post by someone got nowhere. This goes on a rabbit trail. Guess I'll just go Sailin Somewhere. Later.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:02   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pilgrimtex, Thanks to you and Zeehag in helping me to understand something of disability rating,- but back to the "get some feel on the 315". I don't think your pursuit of information is fruitless here. I've been pointing out the compromises. You get speed and performance and you give up some in rugged stability and navigation over obstructions like fouling pot lines. There are plenty of others here with experiences to share. Capable sailors with dogged determination don't cut and run this fast!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:48   #29

Quote:
Pilgrimtex, Thanks to you and Zeehag in helping me to understand something of disability rating,- but back to the "get some feel on the 315". I don't think your pursuit of information is fruitless here. I've been pointing out the compromises. You get speed and performance and you give up some in rugged stability and navigation over obstructions like fouling pot lines. There are plenty of others here with experiences to share. Capable sailors with dogged determination don't cut and run this fast!
<br>
Thanks captforce.<br>
I don't disagree on what you say. I also know everyone means well. It comes down having the best for the buck. Tie that with my own quirks of If I buy new I have nobody to blame but me for the condition of the boat plus She is rigged to MY specs. Also the maintenance curve starts at Zero and goes up rather than further along the curve and commissioning depreciation shock doesn't bother me.<br>
Boats like Pacific Seacraft etc. would be high on the list if money was no object. I like what Jerry put into the new Cats and the rest is up to how she's rigged and sailed. Keep the comments/help coming. Even the rabbit trails.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:17   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hay pilgrim.... have you considered sailing with others first before buying your own boat..i found that was a good move when i was trying to get this formosa out of san diego. run¡ng away from home to see what other boats were like in cruising conditions....just a thought...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail