Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 16:07   #46

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28
Re: Thinking of buying a Flicka 20

We have a Flicka. My hubs is 6' & I'm 5'7" No issues standing.
The bed is longer on the starboard side. We hang a curtain when using the toilet during the day and a bucket at night. We put in a C-head composting toilet. fits great.
use a pur survivor-06 watermaker.
Storage is at a premium.
Strong capable boat.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 16:19   #47

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would not even consider it as a live aboard for two. It would not really be enough for one--and when one adds cruising stores and safety gear-and sea-sickness from such a small craft is a reality--and such a small boat for passsage making is risky.

I would not consider less than thirty feet. For two I would recommend a couple of feet more--that two feet extra length is REALLY useful;--and so is the next two feet--and the next--

Thirty five feet would be my size. Not too big to afford to maintain--not too small to be REALLY uncomfortable, able to carry cruising stores and safety gear --and big enough so as not to be constantly pushing past one another when above or below decks.

A friend of mine owned a Compass 29 and lived aboard for over twenty years--but that was just himself. He cruised it too--covered a great many ocean miles in safety with an INBOARD diesel engine, not an outboard liable to submersion'

The Flicka was an expensive boat when new. Used they may represent value for money--but a cruising boat for two they are not. A decent sized 28 foot trailer sailor, or any of the smaller pocket-cruising sailboats around the thirty foot mark would have them beat to heck for practicality and livability.

Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:57   #48
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
It would take a 3/4 or one ton pickup to tow one safely over the road so you need to factor that in too.
As do every boat capable of being upfitted for safe passage-making that I'd consider.

We're talking "able to occasionally be transported by trailer", rather than "launch for the weekend" trailer-sailers.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:00   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyboats View Post
We have a Flicka. My hubs is 6' & I'm 5'7" No issues standing.
You mean for just you right?

If Flicka's have headroom for a six footer to fully stand that's news to me, and very interesting.
Old 16-08-2019, 18:42   #50

Quote: "I'd be willing to bet a 30 foot sailboat is about the absolute sweet spot"

Precisely!! And guess why TrentePieds is called TrentePieds :-)?

And as for numbers: TP displaces five tons, the Flicka, with even worse basic design parameters, displaces 2 1/2 tons.

And TP cost a good deal less to buy than your stated budget is. Now for OWNERSHIP expenses: By the time you've counted everything, you are looking at 10 grand a year. That's before living expenses. That's Canuckibux, admittedly, but it's my impression that, exchange rate or no, the NUMBERS are not significantly different in the US.

Go where you feel like going, but go there with your eyes open!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 19:32   #51

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
You mean for just you right?

If Flicka's have headroom for a six footer to fully stand that's news to me, and very interesting.
I was aboard one once decades ago, I could almost stand and I'm 6'2".
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 19:39   #52

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indefatiguable View Post
. . .
that is an excellent point Adelie about the fire retardant resin, I'm going to have to research that specifically - maybe get in contact with someone at pacific seacraft to see if they'd have a hard answer there. As far as boats being homebuilt, I'm under the impression that every flicka i'm looking at (and any one i'd actually consider) is professionally built at a reputable yard - in this case again by pacific seacraft, though you're correct many early flickas were homebuilt before being built by... nor'sea? and then PSC .. so who knows how long someone had the plans for before deciding what "year" the hull should be claimed at.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/flicka-20

If you don't want to go off shore, then look at a C&C Mega30. Built to be trailerable and launched at a regular ramp without a crane. $5k boat that could do the loop, and the Caribbean but not transoceanic. Headroom for you for a small portion of the cabin.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 19:58   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I was aboard one once decades ago, I could almost stand and I'm 6'2".
wow more than Cape Dory 25D and Dana 24, good to know, thanks

While we're at it, anyone know for Nor'sea 27 ?
Old 16-08-2019, 20:01   #54

Boat: PDQ 36

A similarly themed boat, similar vintage and SoCal built - the Nurses 27. Designed to be "transportable", center cockpit, 2 cabins (more privacy if the young'runs are still around, shallow draft and pretty. Checking used listings, just a hair above your $25k median for Flickas - and substantially more boat. Both very popular in SoCal marinas in the 80s.
BruceOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 20:02   #55

Boat: PDQ 36

Autocorrect - sheesh! NorSea 27! (Although 27 nurses might be fun to sail with too!)
BruceOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 20:38   #56
cruiser

27 nurses in a Nor'sea 27. . .

I just asked, do you know its headroom?
Old 17-08-2019, 01:37   #57

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Not to be disrespectful, I do wonder about why you would ask, as one of your first questions, about putting (fishing?) rod holders on the stern. I read that you did some crewing on the Great Lakes, so I hope you have enough realism to confront the myriads of more serious issues you will face.
Since your boat will be your home, I also think you could find a somewhat larger boat in the same price range as the Flicka, which would give you a more comfortable lifestyle. Avoid double-enders and long overhangs or narrow beam.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 04:57   #58

I have loved the Flicka since the day I saw one many years ago. But I would also look at Cape Dory's, especially the 27 and 30. If you want a trailer sailer, the Flicka is way to much trouble to launch and retrieve other than seasonally. You really plan on Blue Water "later"....plan on buying two boats. The best boat for the ICWW is never going to be a suitable open water boat. Do that to yourself if you must but not to your other half. The danger is too much of a real thing, period. Stand up headroom in a small boat, with a shoal draft or swing keel, which is what you will likely need for the first part of your adventure presents problems. Having many miles of ICWW under my belt, I have seen thousands of Sail Boats on the ICWW......all of them motoring, almost always, so plan for that too. On the older Flicka's the most prominent differences you can see are the lack of a head with a door, and an inboard diesel engine. "Most" of the older ones have an outboard hanging off the back, which is not a bad thing except offshore, where it will get swamped and dunked constantly while in use. Again not the right set up for off shore. Honestly you probably should decide on where you will be on the water and for how long you will be on the water, and let that steer you in the right direction. Then again, I would take a 16 foot jon boat around the great loop just to say I did it! So you can go with your heart, or throw a little brain in there too, and you will have a lot of fun I am sure!
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 06:20   #59

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
As do every boat capable of being upfitted for safe passage-making that I'd consider.

We're talking "able to occasionally be transported by trailer", rather than "launch for the weekend" trailer-sailers.
Good point, probably better to not own a tow vehicle at all and hire out the occasional move rather than having to own a larger than necessary gas guzzler and all the maintainance that goes with it.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 20:05   #60

Hey folks,

I'd like to apologize for the delay in response, my internet was down for the last few days outside of my smartphone as is the case now and again.

Also, I'd like to say thank you all for your words of advice, insight, and constructive criticism - these things are exactly what i'm looking for so I say again, thank you kindly to all.

I'm going to respond in generalized grouped paragraphs as opposed to responding to each person individually to save my knuckles for the chainsaw tomorrow, building a "Lincoln log" style shed out of arrogantly vertical wood tomorrow and today.

Firstly, I have spent so much time on yachtworld and that atoms list site since originally posting that I had to start taking naps in the day to make up for it and have realized the truth that for my proposed budget I can buy WAY more boat than a flicka, should I desire to. In fact, an orion 27 on yachtworld stole my wife's fancy so much so that she made all her employees look at the advert. In truth, I have spent a great deal of time on that site in the past, though usually using a keyword search for flickas thereby limiting the educational quality of my spent time.

Second, after some discussion we have eliminated "trailerability" from our list of qualifications. Not only does this open things up quite a bit, but primarily I believe that the act of trailering would put undue wear and fatigue on a boat I fully intend on treating like a wax-clad baby. This does, however, necessitate a bit of locational prudence as to where a boat is located on purchase - I have no intention of making my maiden voyage through the panama canal for instance.

Third, I do highly maintain as a "need" in a prospective boat that it can both travel navigable, maintained riverways (such as the Mississippi as an example, and yes - that would be motoring) AND be capable of crossing oceans without undue modification and care (a boat that was designed for such a purpose is what I mean to say). We're explorers, and not just my wife and I. My son today lamented our current, stationary, life in great depth citing a need to experience new things and see new sights. We've been in one spot since the 2nd of may this year. Being able to explore inland on maintained waterways Greatly, in my wholly inexperienced opinion, broadens the world accessible to us on this prospective vessel. I imagine the difference between being able to see Europe from coastal waters, compared to those same waters AND the network of navigable riverways and canals etc, and I see a whole different life unfolding in my minds eye. That being said a draft of 3' 3" on a flicka and 4' of an orion 27 (or a myriad of other suitable boats) would not, I believe, make to terribly much of a difference in that regard - Please do enlighten me if i'm wrong there, as I have no idea the standard depth of maintained waterways around the world.

As far as a flicka not being enough room, I tend to agree with the gentle(wo?)man who said if I've spent significant time living in a camping hammock anything seems large enough.

Regarding the difference between my current skoolie and the curved nature of a boat hull, or the drastically different interior volumes in cubic feet for that matter, I would say again a 35' x 8.5' steel rectangle is drastically too much space for my family of 4 plus our incredibly … hilarious … full sized pup. That being said, I fully recognize that the sailboats I've been on do not create enough of a frame of reference for quality decision making and fully intend to climb aboard as many as possible regardless of saleable intent, it is quite possible I would change my mind.

I can, however, completely say that the benatau ( I can NEVER spell that, how many vowels do you need?) the "benny" first 10r I've spend a great deal of time on (3 years of great lakes seasonable racing, including some week-ish long distance races) absolutely positively would be plenty PLENTY of … PLENTY … of space for us. Furthermore, standing room is ample in every boats cockpit, and as I've said before, I have never owned or lived in a situation with standing headroom thoughout - this is not in any way a qualifier for me.

I have also begun to monitor the "boats for under 30k" thread, as that is exactly what I need

the truth of the matter is also, and I believe this has at least some merit, the notion of whatever the "right" boat is, it's the one you turn around and gaze at as soon as you get on shore. I absolutely cannot stop admiring that tiny little ***** of a flicka, though that very well may change once owning one.

I fully intend to continue my research, but in reference to the folks who recommended Catalinas, I was under the impression they were drastically under-built - though this may be my racing grandfathers words flowing out my fingers, care to enlighten me once again? I'd say the same to tartans for that matter, again with literally no actual knowledge on the issue, just what I have been told. I believe a Catalina 22 would be too slow, slower than a flicka even, I've raced against several and was under the impression that they're both too slow and too underbuilt for passagemaking - though again I very well could be wrong.

as far as continuing my research, how necessary is the overbuilt thick-hulled nature of pacific seacraft boats compared to *something like* a westerly (I get the impression that the latter is built strong enough without being unduly heavy)? I find myself under the impression that whereas safety in a collision is a good thing, so is being able to maintain decent speed and/or handle a not-unreasonably-large sailplan - and the latter benefit would come into play far more often.

In summary, i'm absolutely positive I've forgotten something - please feel free to remind me what question I should be asking, and then answer it Thank you once again, and I look forward to all responses.
Indefatiguable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying