Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 14:32   #1

Thinking of buying an Irwin

Hi everyone , I’m looking at an Irwin 37 center cockpit ketch. Anyone would like to give me their input or opinion of this boat?
Ron810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:58   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Thinking of buying an Irwin

Ive sailed a few and like them. Irwin doesnt have the best reputation for quality of build, but there are many out there cruising. All Irwins make incredibly good use of space. The 37 is quite roomy and comfy for its size. The center cockpit and big aft deck enhance that (great set up for cruising). It also sails respectably well for a cruising boat. At current prices they are a great value buy I think.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:05   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Thinking of buying an Irwin

If you want to know anything about Irwins ask Gene Gammon. He worked w/Ted Irwin and knows more about Irwins than anyone. Do your homework though before contacting him and ask him educated questions. On his site there is a lot of info on different models.

Was looking at some of the larger Irwin models and was told by Gene that the chain plates were built into the hull and hard to access to properly inspect. I'll suspect the chain plates in the 37 have never been inspected or changed. A non destructive way to do the inspection on them was to x-ray them. Not sure how expensive that would be/worth the expense if the boat is 40 years old, when it may be just easier to add plates outside (through the existing plates) and be done (Gene has examples of external plates here).
If you take a look at the 37 inspect the mast step also.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Irwin