Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2006, 19:27   #1

This Is Great !

I was just looking around. And I stumbled across this website.

These boats are built differently than the standard sailboat. And if equiped with a 50HP outboard. You could actually water ski behind this sailboat. That's really cool!!

It can also be a great starter boat, for those new to sailing!!

Here's the web sites address. http://www.macgregorsailboats.com/boating-news.html

Party On!! :cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 20:04   #2

The Cat is Out of the Bag

People either love or hate these boats.

A couple of objective statements can be made before the lines are drawn: they have neither the performance under sail of a sailboat nor the performance under power of a powerboat. A compromise all the way around.

Now, my biases:
In my own experience, I've never seen a hull so thin and flex so much as on a MacGreggor 26.

The sailor in me hates these boats. They are not true sailboats, but try to pass themselves off as such.

And an anecdotal tale:
On a trip across the channel from Long Beach to Catalina Island a couple of summers ago, a MacGreggor was powering through a rolling swell with a longish interval at speed. The water ballast tank was empty (this is warned against, but it happens at times through carelessness). That 50hp motor launched the boat off the back of a swell, the hull completely airborne. It started a barrel roll past 90° as it flew over the trough. It landed on its side. The Harbor Patrol was called (I was @ Two Harbors at the time and heard/saw them race off). The boat was towed in. The rigging was obviously damaged. We just stared in disbelief, blessing our tonnage and lead keels.

I wouldn't sail on one.
Old 11-04-2006, 20:23   #3

Wow!!!

I didn't know that Jeff. So they are not what they're cracked up to be.

I hate to see a statistic report on them then?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 21:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Not to mention they are Butt ugly.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 00:20   #5

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Compromise

The Macgreggor is a compromise boat that in trying to appeal to a bigger market, brings shortcomings that will disappoint many.

I have always been a believer in using the "right tool for the right job". If you want to water-ski, buy a skiboat; if you want to sail, buy a sailboat. Trying to combine the 2 will only end in tears!

Alan, you're right, not a pretty boat, but thats part of the compromise!

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:24   #6

Boat: Pearson 28 Providence
Former McGregor owner

Our first boat was a McGregor Venture 22'. We got the boat at auction for $1500.00. I didn't think it was so bad but the guy that gave us lessons had another opinion, of course we had nothing to compare it too, but it was a starter boat, my problem with it was if you were over 2'6" you had to be a contortionist to use the porta potty. We bought the boat last April. We bought our current boat in October which I love. There are no comparisons. The good thing about it though we sold the McGregor for $3500.00 on ebay.
Wendy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 13:14   #7
cruiser

Yup... right tooks for the right job. Hybrid mountain/road bicycles stink. SUVs that are just souped up cars stink. Power boats that pretend to sail stink.

Get a Ski Nautique for water skiing, and a proper sailboat (mono or multi) for sailing. Both will bring much more pleasure.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 16:58   #8

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Hybrids

Sean,

Exactly!!!

Fair winds - good luck with completing boat for charter.

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 02:56   #9

CaptainK,

I do not want to be a prophet of doom so to speak, but check out these links for info on a Mac26. It is actually difficult to pick just three links from this site on the Mac - so many of them
Most people on this site are boat designers, boat builders or ordinary folk interested in boat design matters.

http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthr...ighlight=mac26

Wynand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 06:02   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
Whilst I agree with most of the comments I have read about the Macgregor 26, and would rather stay ashore than go to sea in one,

We must remember that every single boat is a compromise of one type or another. There must be quite a large number of people for whom the mac is the compromise that suits them, cause they have sold a lot of them. Not everybody wants to go offshore, or can afford a marina berth, but need a boat for the occasional weekend and want something bigger than a dinghy.
Old 15-04-2006, 07:05   #11

How sad

I went to the site ,its amazeing what you can fit into a boat,but anyway,$19.000 odd American dollars even gets you the trailer.What is sad is,I was looking at boatpoint"A place they have boats for sale in Oz" and ya wouldnt read about it.They had a second hand 2001 model Magregor 26 for sale at 60.000 Ozzie dollars.Even knowing the boats arnt all that crash-hot,It wouldnt cost that much to buy one in the states and get it sent over,minus the trailer of course.Makes ya wonder how some people justify the price they set on boats over here.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 17:46   #12

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
If you cannot handle the slamming from 1 of 500 people, then you do not want a Mac. Motor into Marathon Harbor and most will say that it is the perfice crusing boat for Fl and Bahamas.
If you want a 26 foot cabin cruiser that will sail, motor and fit on your trailer for under $ 40,000 delivered, NEW. If you want to be able to go from Marathon FL City docks to Rod and Gun Club Dock in Everglads City Fl, 80+ miles in 6 hours and 22 gal of gas. If you want to be able to take 2 adults and 2 children for a week on the water and anchor in 1 1/2 foot water. Then the Mac 26 is for you.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:31   #13

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
In my own experience, I've never seen a hull so thin and flex so much as on a MacGreggor 26.
We have two of these at Mana and the hull flexes in the wind!! It is a wonder the rollers on the trailer don't go through the hull it is so thin.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40   #14

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Which Mac? 26? 25? 19? How old?
This is the First time that I have heard of this. There has been NO reports of hull damage, On or off the trailer due to sailing or trailering. Do you have any proof that this is a problem?
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Flexing of a glass hull maynot be an issue to having problems. I have seen many large power boats that the hulls flex and yet take an increadible pounding. The issue with a sailboat flexing, is that the rig will also flex, which means it can never really be sailed in optimum performance. This boat really is a compramise, but I am sure it fits needs in many area's.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote