Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 07:09   #16

Krozet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:10   #17

Looks like you did fine. Enjoy the boat.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:12   #18

Old 16-09-2009, 07:21   #19

krozet been reading your thread. as far as the tabbing seperation on your floors and cabinet bulkheads see if you can contact the surveyor and ask him what he thinks the reason is for the sep. i would be inclined to say that the tabbing has let go because of age and probably some moisture in the bilge. i have a 1979 Gulfstar 37 that is starting to show signs of the tabbing letting go at outer contact edges and this is caused by shinkage in the winter. yes fiberglass does expand and contract with temperature changes at a different rate than wood. good luck with your new boat. also so you know Conyplex/Contest is one of the better European yards (Holland) if you get the hull no. you can get 1st owner details and equip on boat when launched
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
krozet been reading your thread. as far as the tabbing seperation on your floors and cabinet bulkheads see if you can contact the surveyor and ask him what he thinks the reason is for the sep. i would be inclined to say that the tabbing has let go because of age and probably some moisture in the bilge. i have a 1979 Gulfstar 37 that is starting to show signs of the tabbing letting go at outer contact edges and this is caused by shinkage in the winter. yes fiberglass does expand and contract with temperature changes at a different rate than wood. good luck with your new boat. also so you know Conyplex/Contest is one of the better European yards (Holland) if you get the hull no. you can get 1st owner details and equip on boat when launched
That makes sense too as from what I understand the boat has been on the hard for a number of years. I have been told that the repair is not that difficult but does require some work.

The survey was done last October, would a surveyor remember a boat that long ago? I guess I will have to call and find out.
Old 16-09-2009, 08:23   #21

If the tabbing is letting go (was it ever down on the edges properly?) it's likely a sign that they didnt prep the surface or maybe even clean it up before they tabbed the furniture and bulkheads in. Saw dust, grinding dust, dirt from shoes etc gets on the hull layup in a poorly run shop and doesnt allow the tabbing to chemically bond properly to the hull....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 12:40   #22

Boat: Allegro 33
Krozet I think you made the deal of your life. The important stuff is sound.
If its been on land that long the hull on the outside cant be much dryer.
Id start with opening up layer by layer till you get to firm glass/polyester at the spot spots where thers a delamination, make sure to dry out properly and clean and back on with new glass again. You will be fine.

/ Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 07:28   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
The bonding issue, are they all on the same side? sorry can't see the photos as work blocks them. If so has it had a knock? fallen over or something fallen onto it perhaps? or pressed onto a jetty in a storm.

Who was the surveyor working for when the report was written, because if it is not you then be cautious, but times are hard and some folk desparate so chance of a real bargin perhaps.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 11:04   #24

Boat: contest 29
Hi Diogenes,

For what it is worth: In the Netherlands a boat like this would cost somewhere from 23.000 up to 30.000 euro. If in reasonable shape and working engine.
Note: What about the VAT?

Look out for osmosis (is that the right word for fluid transport through polyester). The contest are known for that.

There is a Dutch group of contest owners. You can find them (and all kinds of information about contest) on Contest Yacht Owners Club
It is all in Dutch, but they will respond to English messages as well.
pieter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 11:41   #25

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
In your shoes I would get my own survey done. My club has a marine surveyor speak to us on a regular basis. It seems that accompanying a surveyor during her (yes this surveyor is a she) survey is an excellent opportunity to learn about all the parts of the boat that normally are "out of sight, out of mind"

And if it is done before you complete the transaction, you have a bargaining chip, in case something had happened since the other survey.
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote