Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 21:01   #1

Boat: O’Day 40
Thoughts? Elevated deck moisture @shrouds

Question- is this worth investigating? Ad for 80’s Catalina 36 states boat needs new mast plate/base & has elevated moisture levels around the chainplates, but ostensibly has no delamination or soft spots. Asking $10k. Of course, I’ll ask if there was a recent survey or more specifically, how the owner came to know of this.

Might it be reasonable to hope the chainplates could just need re-bedding? If there is no de-lam, can this be dried out and reasonably refurbished w/o replacing decking? I’m pretty handy and do all my own work currently but no exp w/structural.

Worth a deeper dive or run like heck?
Thanks,
Lou
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 21:21   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Thoughts? Elevated deck moisture @shrouds

Had a boat one time that had a balsa cored deck, and we had to remove the rotten balsa from deck by the deck penetration for the chainplates, epoxied in marine grade ply refills, and beveled the holes for the sealant. On that particular boat, the chainplates below the deck were of mild steel, with only the penetration s/s. So, it was really important to take the boat apart and check to be sure it stayed dry. I don't know if Catalinas have this problem, but maybe someone here can help you find out beforehand. There is a Catalina boat problems somewhere. You could try a CF Custom Google search for that.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 20-09-2019, 08:28   #3

Boat: 1994 Ericson 380, 38'
Re: Thoughts? Elevated deck moisture @shrouds

Just remember that an 80's boat, depending on its care during its life, is going to most likely have all sorts of problems, many more than listed in that ad.

But focusing on moisture....Years ago I owned a 1982 O'Day 34. I was much younger and uninformed of such things as re-bedding deck fittings. Well, somewhat informed, but not fully aware of the consequences of not doing it. Anyway, the deck developed a couple of small soft spots. There is no easy way to fix that or dry it out. I thought about drilling up from below to try to drain the water, dry things. Even thought about trying to pull a vacuum on the deck like you vacuum the refrigerant lines of an air conditioning system. Did all kinds of research, but again this was before the internet, so not as much available information. I ended up not attempting anything for fear of getting in over my head or creating a worse situation.

In the end I disclosed everything and sold the boat to a friend. I felt good as I had disclosed all problems I was aware of and the new owner, who I still know NEVER fixed anything. I think almost the whole deck is now squishy, but he sails on. Water drips in from various places such as the deck track. He keeps saying one day he might attend to it.

I suspect that this Catalina is in the hands of someone that wants to get rid of a problem.
If you are the type that doesn't care about things not being perfect you could probably get this boat at a lower offer and sail it until it can't go anymore. Just be aware that a low cost boat could end up being the most expensive boat you ever owned.
Lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, shroud