Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2024, 12:47   #376

Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

Wow, looks like this thread has been going for a few years. I'm close purchasing my first real sailboat, a 1969 Columbia 29 MK2. I'm hoping to chat with someone first about whether it's worth having a survey done and if the asking price of 8k is at all reasonable. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
RyanCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 13:30   #377

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCoast View Post
Wow, looks like this thread has been going for a few years. I'm close purchasing my first real sailboat, a 1969 Columbia 29 MK2. I'm hoping to chat with someone first about whether it's worth having a survey done and if the asking price of 8k is at all reasonable. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
That would be one of the last to be built. I’ve heard the later ones may have leaky hull to deck joints but I am not sure of that. 8k is on the low side for needing a survey, that’s up to you. If you aren’t sure, getting a survey can be money well spent. 8k as a price seems a bit high unless it is in really good shape, good sails and good engine. Does it have an atomic 4 or a diesel? Or an outboard? Got any more info or photos?
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 14:24   #378
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
What marina is she at ? I'm in tacoma and the owner of a Columbia defender #60 built in 1966 also retired shipwright I would be happy to take a look at her for you .
As Don says the 8k is a bit low for cost of a survey but also a bit high for a 1969 C29.
Unless she is in top condition.
Old 12-06-2024, 14:37   #379

Quote:
That boat should be pretty much free. Certainly not $8k. At 8k it should have a new engine and new sails, even then, not sure. I'm not disparaging the boat, just trying to be real. It's a quite narrow beam and thus is more like a slightly more recent 25-27' really.

How long has it been listed? Keep in mind owners first start out thinking they can get much more than is realistic. When it comes to a 65 year old boat, they are terribly difficult to even get rid of.
More about it? Is it a 62 or 69?
Moored? The owner might like to just get rid of the moorage cost.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 14:41   #380

Thanks for your quick replies. She's out of the water, has been for a few years, but under cover.
The engine is a 16hp Yanmar which is run yearly and runs well. Was new when it went in, but hours are unknown at this point. Looks clean.

She comes with a trailer. My plan would be to bring her home, paint the bottom (recently sanded and epoxied) and oil the teak, gear up, etc. Then put her in the water on a mooring buoy for the summer and pull her out again in the late fall. The trailer itself is pretty rusty but hopefully structurally sound enough to repair and repaint once it's empty.

I've called a couple of surveyors nearby and they're all booked for months anyway...So I'm leaning toward skipping it.

I wouldn't say she's in top condition, but does seem well loved by the family that owns her. There is gel coat crazing in some areas on deck and in the cockpit but nothing that I could see looks like stress cracking. The teak rails and the rest needs to be sanded and oiled. Inside is clean with good cushions throughout. Needs paint on the floor. Electrical seems to work including substantial bilge pump.
Sails I've been told are good...haven't seen them out. Main and two jibs. Sail cover for the main.
So basically just needs some love, some paint, a radio...I think.

Having the trailer is a huge plus for me because I have the space and will gladly avoid the moorage fees.

Also, I'm in Canada, so this would be $5800 in your world.
Old 12-06-2024, 14:47   #381

Quote:
Thanks for your quick replies. She's out of the water, has been for a few years, but under cover.
The engine is a 16hp Yanmar which is run yearly and runs well. Was new when it went in, but hours are unknown at this point. Looks clean.

She comes with a trailer. My plan would be to bring her home, paint the bottom (recently sanded and epoxied) and oil the teak, gear up, etc. Then put her in the water on a mooring buoy for the summer and pull her out again in the late fall. The trailer itself is pretty rusty but hopefully structurally sound enough to repair and repaint once it's empty.

I've called a couple of surveyors nearby and they're all booked for months anyway...So I'm leaning toward skipping it.

I wouldn't say she's in top condition, but does seem well loved by the family that owns her. There is gel coat crazing in some areas on deck and in the cockpit but nothing that I could see looks like stress cracking. The teak rails and the rest needs to be sanded and oiled. Inside is clean with good cushions throughout. Needs paint on the floor. Electrical seems to work including substantial bilge pump.
Sails I've been told are good...haven't seen them out. Main and two jibs. Sail cover for the main.
So basically just needs some love, some paint, a radio...I think.

Having the trailer is a huge plus for me because I have the space and will gladly avoid the moorage fees.
If you do want to buy it, start at maybe 1/2. $4000, they may be glad to get rid of it. You can always move up.

Likely things you will have to deal with are:
Chainplates, Rigging, Rudder/rudder post, replacing tanks, shaft and stuffing box renewal, seacocks etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 14:52   #382

That's another thing. Tanks all sound good. Fresh water is SS up under the vberth. Diesel is a newish SS tank he made with baffles. There's also a holding tank that he installed, and a little diesel tank near the diesel heater on the starboard side.
Old 12-06-2024, 15:01   #383

It was hard to take pictures of the exterior the way it was housed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ID plate.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	290831   Click image for larger version

Name:	deck.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	290832  

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	290833   Click image for larger version

Name:	companion way.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	290834  

Name:	bottom and trailer.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	290835  
Old 12-06-2024, 15:05   #384
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
That's another thing. Tanks all sound good. Fresh water is SS up under the vberth. Diesel is a newish SS tank he made with baffles. There's also a holding tank that he installed, and a little diesel tank near the diesel heater on the starboard side.
All sounds nice . First is the trailer road worthy ? And even if so will need. Bearings checked and repacked , check and ensure functional axle brakes.
As to the boat it doesn't matter how clean and sound she seems to be a boat that old is not worth that much as you described her to be . Ensure the engine runs and have an oil analysis done ( doesn't cost much ) that will tell you a lot about the boat .
Start at 3500 and go up as they come down but I would not say much over 5k Canadian.
I paid a thousand us for mine and she is now after4 years work in good shape I have 3k invested but I doubt I would get that if I sold her today.
Old 13-06-2024, 23:07   #385

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I agree that trailer is a big plus if you can keep her hauled out for free! I too would offer considerably less, but let us know what they say about the age of the rigging. See if you can get a good look at the swagings. That engine is a big plus if it checks out. If it has been lovingly cared for that is a great start. Good luck!

Btw with the mast down it is easy to check all that stuff and that makes changing the rigging much easier too if needed.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia