Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 18:55   #106

Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yes, the panel is in an odd place. I believe that is original. The other fly in the ointment, for me anyway, is the Atomic 4, but for this boat I might overlook it.
Here is something interesting for us 29 owners. The original owner of my boat saw the photo I posted at sailboatcruising.com and wrote in! I have been in touch with him and have been learning more about the genesis and evolution of my own boat. He and his son still live in Ventura, CA. I say that because when he bought his boat it was one of the first boats to go into the harbor right after it was built (and maybe the only fiberglass boat.) The local paper did a full page spread on his family and the boat! (attached.) he also added, "I took delivery of the boat on Jan 4, 1963 in Newport harbor. Two friends and I set sail at 2000 and sailed and motored to Santa Barbara harbor arriving the next evening at 2135 averaging about 4 knots." Now anyone who has sailed from Newport to Santa Barbara will appreciate that, and keep in mind that was over 100 miles uphill, in January (typically calm) with a Seagull motor!
I am not surprise the Columbia 29 can manage rough passages, I did some miles myself in winter. No questions about the line and sailing ability. The problem we face as new owners is trying to update the equipment and refresh the weary parts. As many production boats builders took shortcuts that the owner has the right to ignore or address, but after 50 years "the knots come to the comb".
Columbia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 12:56   #107

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
I am not surprise the Columbia 29 can manage rough passages, I did some miles myself in winter. No questions about the line and sailing ability. The problem we face as new owners is trying to update the equipment and refresh the weary parts. As many production boats builders took shortcuts that the owner has the right to ignore or address, but after 50 years "the knots come to the comb".
Yes, I have more knots coming to the comb soon... hatches and trim. But still, I can't believe they made it this long! By the way do you have a full battened main on your boat? Maybe that was Appick. I recently got one made for a C29 from Bacon Sails, practically new. I am having another reef put in it and a Cunningham and a flattening reef to lift it up a little higher, but I am eager to really see how it will perform cruising this summer. It is my first time with a full-battened sail and what little I have done with it shows me I have a few things to learn still!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 20:35   #108

Quote:
Yes, I have more knots coming to the comb soon... hatches and trim. But still, I can't believe they made it this long! By the way do you have a full battened main on your boat? Maybe that was Appick. I recently got one made for a C29 from Bacon Sails, practically new. I am having another reef put in it and a Cunningham and a flattening reef to lift it up a little higher, but I am eager to really see how it will perform cruising this summer. It is my first time with a full-battened sail and what little I have done with it shows me I have a few things to learn still!
Yes I have a full battened main made new in 2013 by Leesails. Happy with the quality, I will have to test the durability. I recently added a third reef from a local sailmaker. I prefer full battened mainsail, but to each their own... what are you planning on doing with the hatches? I will have to rebuild the companionway hatch, I already built the forward hatch and the lazarette one out of teak and plywood.

Here is a picture of the lazzarette hatch:

Old 23-06-2015, 22:50   #109

Wow! Beautiful job on the hatch! I am not sure what I am going to do yet, I don't have access to a shop with a table saw etc. I may just take the hatches off and take them to a shop and say "copy these." But I am not really happy with the design of the companionway hatch. The one on my old 24 slid on stainless rails, it seemed like a stronger and more durable design. So I may rebuild the rails first before planning the hatch itself rest on the rails rather than the way it is now (and has been for 50 years?) with the bronze tabs that slide on wood. (the hatch from that bristol C29 in Newport looks like they rebuilt it that way.) For now I hope the hatch stays on the boat and keeps me somewhat dry, 'cause I'm goin' sailin'!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 24-06-2015, 18:56   #110

Quote:
Wow! Beautiful job on the hatch! I am not sure what I am going to do yet, I don't have access to a shop with a table saw etc. I may just take the hatches off and take them to a shop and say "copy these." But I am not really happy with the design of the companionway hatch. The one on my old 24 slid on stainless rails, it seemed like a stronger and more durable design. So I may rebuild the rails first before planning the hatch itself rest on the rails rather than the way it is now (and has been for 50 years?) with the bronze tabs that slide on wood. (the hatch from that bristol C29 in Newport looks like they rebuilt it that way.) For now I hope the hatch stays on the boat and keeps me somewhat dry, 'cause I'm goin' sailin'!
Thanks! It has been a learning curve on this boat! Can you show me you companionway hatch. I am curious about it. My boat was built on the east coast in VA, I wonder what differences in the two shipyards. My sliding hatch and seahood is solid teak, no worries about failure. It does leak like crazy though so I will have to rebuild parts of it, and probably glass it to the cabin top. I haven't made up my mind yet.
Old 24-06-2015, 20:39   #111

Oh yeah, a sea hood is also on my list! So my hatch rests on four bronze tabs that slide through a slot in the wood on either side. You can see the slots in the photos but not the bronze tabs screwed in under the hatch. Someone added rubber flaps attached under the hatch that hang down over the joint, and they do prevent a good deal of water from squirting underneath. The bronze tabs show 50 years of wear, they are worn down quite a bit. Forgive the charming paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-24 at 8.20.36 PM.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	104184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-24 at 8.22.32 PM.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	104185  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-06-2015, 20:09   #112

Quote:
Oh yeah, a sea hood is also on my list! So my hatch rests on four bronze tabs that slide through a slot in the wood on either side. You can see the slots in the photos but not the bronze tabs screwed in under the hatch. Someone added rubber flaps attached under the hatch that hang down over the joint, and they do prevent a good deal of water from squirting underneath. The bronze tabs show 50 years of wear, they are worn down quite a bit. Forgive the charming paint job.
Wow, the companionway hatch is totally different than the one on my boat.Mine is all teak with a seeahood. I wonder if it was optional, and how many other differences are on Columbia 29s...
Old 27-06-2015, 19:24   #113

Maybe the previous owner did that. I'd sure like to have that too.
So the original owner of my boat invited me over to give me an old data book for sail boats and to show me a few photos of their cruises in my (our) ol' C29. Just a really great guy with lots of cruising stories from the Channel Islands, and the boat looks the same now as it did then! I had heard that the Columbia 29 was disqualified from its racing class but I am not sure why. He said yes, it was too fast.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-06-2015, 08:59   #114

Quote:
Maybe the previous owner did that. I'd sure like to have that too.
So the original owner of my boat invited me over to give me an old data book for sail boats and to show me a few photos of their cruises in my (our) ol' C29. Just a really great guy with lots of cruising stories from the Channel Islands, and the boat looks the same now as it did then! I had heard that the Columbia 29 was disqualified from its racing class but I am not sure why. He said yes, it was too fast.
Please report the meeting wit any usual and curious information you can find.

Here is some pictures of my slow work:

Integral water tank:

New Chart Table

Old 29-06-2015, 12:42   #115

Wow, I see you have opted to change the quarter berths to storage and chart table. I like it, it makes sense for cruising (although I do like sleeping in quarter berths in general when sailing.) And the cabinet on the starboard side, why the sloping side? Does that lift up to make a work space? It all looks great, and a good use of space. I need more table work space for mine (like just for chopping vegetables or looking at a paper chart!) I will be trying out boards that will fill the space between settees and then can also go up to bolt into table locations, and then be stowed under bunks to be out of the way.

The original owner of my boat got it with the outboard well with a Seagull engine. He said he finally designed the lifting outboard mount (he's an engineer) and upgraded to a 6hp Evinrude because he got in some close calls in anchorages. Something I didn't know is that Seagulls had no reverse!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-06-2015, 20:58   #116

Quote:
Wow, I see you have opted to change the quarter berths to storage and chart table. I like it, it makes sense for cruising (although I do like sleeping in quarter berths in general when sailing.) And the cabinet on the starboard side, why the sloping side? Does that lift up to make a work space? It all looks great, and a good use of space. I need more table work space for mine (like just for chopping vegetables or looking at a paper chart!) I will be trying out boards that will fill the space between settees and then can also go up to bolt into table locations, and then be stowed under bunks to be out of the way.

The original owner of my boat got it with the outboard well with a Seagull engine. He said he finally designed the lifting outboard mount (he's an engineer) and upgraded to a 6hp Evinrude because he got in some close calls in anchorages. Something I didn't know is that Seagulls had no reverse!
I bought the boat already converted, with starboard quarter berth and port nav station. being two handed while cruising one crew uses the quarter berthwhile off watch. The salon dinette converts in a double bunk that we use in port or at anchor, or under way if we have more than 2 crew. Te V-Berth is mainly storage with no berths.

The navigation station was badly done so I redid it. The new bulkhead was not even fiberglassed to the hull so any water coming in from the cockpit locker would slosh right into the bilge. I made the locker watertight and built the new chart table. The folding door allows for access underneath which now has plenty of storage. Another readon to redesing the area was to place the 8 6v volt batteries that powers my electric engine. I Hope it's going to look better once painted, and hardwood trim and equipment installed.

Do you still have the lifting outboard mount. I am very curious about it! James Baldwin designs outboard wells where the outboard tilts up.

Atom Voyages - Outboard motor well for a Taipan 28 sailboat
Old 29-06-2015, 23:08   #117

To be honest I'd much rather have a larger lazarette like I used to have on my Columbia 24. The Columbia 26 MKI also has the larger lazarette that can accommodate the outboard and allow for cutting a slot in the transom for tilting up the outboard. (Just another reason someone should jump on that Col. 26 MKI for sale in "3 boats in Maryland" in classifieds!) I did that with my 24, just like Baldwin did with the Triton. It is a great way to handle it. As it is with mine, I am not a fan of hanging an outboard on the transom. It is really unsightly, and puts the weight way too far aft. That being said, if you have to do it, this hoisting mount is pretty cool. I never tilt the engine. The lever arms are long enough that the engine can be lowered deep into the water and then lifted straight up totally clear of the water. It is easily hoisted with lines and double blocks from some old mainsheet hanging from the stern pulpit. If I am heeled way over and doing 6 knots or so, the water will start to hit the bottom of the prop. It doesn't look like it, but it is remarkably strong. It handles the thrust and weight of an 8hp without any flexing. If I were to upgrade I'd build the same thing maybe with a slightly larger wood spacers, but really I don't think I can break this one. I like all the set-ups that Baldwin shows, but the cut out in the transom I think is the best. In my humble opinion they all beat having an inboard gas engine, and actually I could say maybe a diesel too, even though you do have a tank of gas on board. The outboard is cheaper, lighter and quieter, but not as fuel efficient. I think the electric motor will trump them all soon! I still haven't given up on doing some engineless trips soon too, with just a pair of long oars to get me in and out of anchorages and slips when there is no wind. (That is still in experimental stage.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-29 at 10.30.17 PM.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	104425   Click image for larger version

Name:	outboard.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	104426  

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-29 at 11.15.17 PM.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	104427  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-07-2015, 20:03   #118

For all those Columbia 29 enthusiasts, a couple of shots of summer. Sailing to Anacapa Island (Channel Islands National Park, California) for the day with 3 little people and 3 big people. (Daysails 6, sleeps 4 and cruises 3.) By the way, reached for home at 7 to 8 knots. Not bad for a 50 year old girl I'd say.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-07-2015, 20:05   #119

oops, forgot the shots...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	105305   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150711_165445.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	105306  

Name:	20150713_144127_resized.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	105307   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150713_142641_resized.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	105308  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 19-07-2015, 19:46   #120

Anacapa Island, one of California's Channel Islands, is a great island to visit; a kayaker's paradise with many caves and arches to explore. It is a short hop from the coast. And of course, in my humble opinion, the Columbia 29 is the best boat for the trip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	105659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	105660  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37