Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2009, 20:58   #46

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 - WINDFALL
Our UHMU centerboard is 2 1/2" thick, 3' wide, and 7' long. Due to the shape, not all the centerboard is exposed thus less ability to bend. We draft 4' up and 71/2' down (3 1/2' exposed under the keel when lowered).
I have used UHMW in building various equipments in lumber/pulp mills and impressed with it's durability. Do think fiberglass or aluminum type centerboards do not bend as well? But, this is a bit of experiment and will keep posted. So far, it looks promising for our application...time will tell.
Old 17-08-2009, 22:26   #47

Boat: shannon 43 ketch Celebration
We have a Shannon Ketch 43 #46, almost all of them keel/centrboards. the board has a delrin socket in the trunk, so its smooth. theboat has an encapsulated keel thats flat on the bottom and theboard pivts up into it. 4'9/8'6 up/ down. she gains a knot downwind w the board up. she does well with it up on a reach but not as well as w it down, the cnterbrd trunk has never leaked. the cable is in water replacable w diver or in the slings. we hove to in 35-38kts w board down, wouldt stay w board up. Noise: we get a clunk rarely falling into a trough hard on the wind with a quartering sea.
Shannon has bulit more keel/centerboarders than fixed keels, over al the years.
ss cable goes to winch in cockpit but only socket for winch is visible, winch and cable in lazarret. we carry a spare cable.
my .02
in over 20kts w jib and mizzen can trim hands off w board position.
david
davidschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 01:07   #48

Boat: 49 ft. alu, centerboard, one off Roger Marshall-design, Ocean Explorer
I could not help but notice than no one on this forum have mentioned the french Allures yachts. When looking for a centreboard solution a couple of years ago I was very close to buying an Allures 44 and have had a long dialogue with the owners of the yard in France. They themselves were originally looking for 'the ideal cruiseboat ' but could not find it and ended up establishing Allures Yachting and designing the Allures-range which consists of 40, 44 and recently a 51 feet - all built in aluminium and with retractable keel. They are strong competitors to the Ovni, are in the same price range and - from my personal point of way - are ahead of the ovni in a number of fields including design.

Check them out here: ----ALLURES Yachting--------------
jens_elsborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 03:20   #49

Boat: Privilege 37
Nice boat

I have also always liked the Southerly range

http://www.northshore.co.uk/Flash/S135RS.swf

and their new 56 seems like a lot of boat
Old 18-08-2009, 13:27   #50

Boat: Trismus 37
Hi Davidschiff, I notice you mention using a SS pennant on your CB. I used to also but got sick of all the sprags trying to catch my skin or clothing so I changed to Dyneema. Best thing I ever did, no down side, now on its third year.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 14:55   #51

how to sail a alubat in hard weather and big waves.

A salesman from alubat told me the centerboard help the boat from a broach... If you have it up. I cant understand that, is it the keel that makes the boat turn.. first part of this lovely video....

And a alubat have twin rudders that must help to steer the boat when things like this happens. And the bottom of the alubat is flat, so i understand it must surf easy... Anyone know more....cant find any movie on it.

Sad to say it but this video is amazing.....
Old 20-08-2009, 15:22   #52

Something to be said for tucking in the shallows where others fear to tread! UHMW board? wow, that stuff is pretty flexible... I think I would prefer a swing or retractable keel to a centerboard....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 05:37   #53

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
Question Roger Marshall-design, Ocean Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_elsborg View Post
I could not help but notice than no one on this forum have mentioned the french Allures yachts. When looking for a centreboard solution a couple of years ago I was very close to buying an Allures 44 and have had a long dialogue with the owners of the yard in France. They themselves were originally looking for 'the ideal cruiseboat ' but could not find it and ended up establishing Allures Yachting and designing the Allures-range which consists of 40, 44 and recently a 51 feet - all built in aluminium and with retractable keel. They are strong competitors to the Ovni, are in the same price range and - from my personal point of way - are ahead of the ovni in a number of fields including design.

Check them out here: ----ALLURES Yachting--------------
looking at your profile you have a Roger Marshall-design, Ocean Explorer. what kept you from buying an allures?
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 07:17   #54

Boat: 49 ft. alu, centerboard, one off Roger Marshall-design, Ocean Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
looking at your profile you have a Roger Marshall-design, Ocean Explorer. what kept you from buying an allures?
Bitman:

Only money! I went to Mauritius to look at and testsail the first 44' they produced. The funny thing is that even though I find it superior to the Alubat it is in the same price range, which unfortunately at the time was out of my range. Had I had the money at that time I would have bought it! I have no connection to Allures Yachting today but a while ago I was loking into a distribution deal with them - this was mainly due to the fact that the boats have such great potential as blue water cruisers. However I choose to go sailing instead of selling boats to people that wants to go sailing :-)
Today I would buy an Allures 40' or 44'
jens_elsborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 07:52   #55

yes, they are very nice yachts indeed.

i know they have a design award for the way they connect the grp deck with the alu hull. not sure how i would look at that, but then again how much glue do they use in the aeroplane industry?

and a good point of a grp deck is that all your handheld vhf, gps, radio etc are still working fine below decks...

next year i'm in the market to buy a (alu) yacht as then my sailtime member ship stops

took this 1 year sailtime membership so i know for sure that my partner likes sailing.
Old 27-08-2009, 08:28   #56

and here a video of an allures 40
Old 28-08-2009, 01:15   #57

and to stay with frence aluminium build yachts, have a look here Alliage, chantier naval aluminium : construction de voilier en alu, et bateau Ã* moteur avec coque alu starting with 45 feet.
Old 31-08-2009, 03:08   #58

Boat: Bristol 35.5
We have had our Brisol 35.5 C for 18 years and love the centerboard - it allows us to get into shallower areas to anchor and use the pilings at Cuttyhunk for overnight stays. Painting is a hassle but out boatyard has been quite accomidating and brings her up high on the travel-lift the night before launching. Rare "bumps" from the trunk in light air, but all-in-all, we like the flexibility it has given us.
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 13:10   #59

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf
Re: Thoughts on Big Centerboarders?

We have a 2 1/2" thick UHMW retractable centerboard with 80 lbs of lead inside. I'm changing from 3/16" SS wire to Dyneema rope, the SS wire doesn't last long and hoping Dyneema works better and longer.
And I'm putting a thin fiberglass covering over the UHMW to make cleaning easier and give a coat of bottom paint. The UHMW centerboard has worked great for us, but barnacles stick pretty good to bare UHMW. Any suggestions about Dyneema?
Old 29-12-2011, 13:16   #60
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindfall
We have a 2 1/2" thick UHMW retractable centerboard with 80 lbs of lead inside. I'm changing from 3/16" SS wire to Dyneema rope, the SS wire doesn't last long and hoping Dyneema works better and longer.
And I'm putting a thin fiberglass covering over the UHMW to make cleaning easier and give a coat of bottom paint. The UHMW centerboard has worked great for us, but barnacles stick pretty good to bare UHMW. Any suggestions about Dyneema?
Yes, I would go for either Dynex Dux or for Samson Amsteel Blue. You should find and check both out to get a feel for the differences. Dynex Dux is stiffer.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard