Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 19:50   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Thoughts on capabilities of this...

This looks to be a custom build of a very high quality boat. Much higher quality than Hanse or Beneteau which are just average. Cold molded is a common way to build custom boats and they are typically very strong. Being built in '91 you would think that any problems would be clearly evident by now but it looks flawless in the pics. Of course pictures of boats can be very misleading so the only way to know for sure is to see her in person & if you're serious get an out of water survey by someone with a lot of experience.

If you do decide to go with a Hanse take an extra rudder and if you get a Bene bring an extra keel.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 19:59   #17

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would start with a sound judgement of my sailing and physical abilities. Fitness level counts. It is a biggish boat. Unless you use paid or unpaid crew.

For one off, you are taking a pro surveyor when you go to the broker.

Have fun,
barnakiel

The surveyor comment is spot on. I knew who I wanted as the surveyor. I flew him across the Atlantic and housed him and fed him for a few days and paid for the survey. About 2.5% of the deal. Worth every penny. Really truly.
I had already spent several days going through the boat myself before it got to the offer and survey.
But get the good survey and your eyes will be open. You will have an easier time with your insurer.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:06   #18

Amongst many others, i received this picture in the morning. While i'm still reading into the subject, any feedback on this? It stated: "3 layers of lamination plus glass fiber and epoxy layer plus filler on all hull surface".

By the looks of it, that would surely explain its 32t. Looks very hefty. Furthermore, the mere sight of all that wood makes me worried about endless maintenance and lots of $$, but I could be wrong...

csdjng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:54   #19

This morning I received this picture, among quite a few others. I'm still looking into the subject; anyone has any feedback on this? The text says: "3 layers of lamination plus glass fiber and epoxy layer plus filler on all hull surface".

By the looks of it, that does explain the 32t. Looks very hefty. However, the mere sight of all that wood makes me worried about lots of maintenance and subsequently, lots of $$...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SY Serenity.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	178556  
Old 06-10-2018, 04:30   #20

One more...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SY Serenity_2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	178557  
Old 06-10-2018, 04:39   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Thoughts on capabilities of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdjng View Post
One more...
You have a tank there that will outlive you..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:14   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If it was "cold molded" as it looks like it probably was, and it was done well and correctly, this manner of construction can be very strong and light and durable.
https://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/...old-molded.php
Cold molded boats, how have they held up? - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/c...trength.50859/
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ded-boats.html
Jim Cate, a member here, has a cold molded boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:07   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The best, and worst boats there are are one off, custom built boats.
Cold molded if done correctly can be a very good build process, as long as the wood is very well encapsulated, think of it in that respect as a cored hull.
I would say find a good surveyor that specializes in this construction process, which may be a difficult search, and you may have to pay for some transportation costs, but find someone that knows enough to tell you if you have found a jewel, or a nightmare.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:23   #24

Thanks all for your help; will try to plan a visit and keep you posted. A good surveyor familiar with the cold molding technique will surely be the way forward in any scenario.

I do have one other question: Any suggestions on how I would be able to determine sea-going capabilities in rougher seas and on potential passages based on shape, length of the hull and it displacement?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:36   #25

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Csdjng, perhaps speaking to the owner to ask about the design of the boat would be a good start. What was the boat designed for? Crossing oceans? Extended cruising? Local sailing? Also, if you can speak to the designer it could be quite revealing as well. Usually there is a design briefing- a sort of "mission statement" that describes the intended use of the boat and the desired outcome (easy to single hand, good in light air, tankage and storage for extended voyaging etc.).

Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of buying a custom boat (I have one) as, in most cases, the person who commissions a custom boat does so because a production boat just doesn't offer the quality or capabilities the person needs. It's very expensive to build a custom boat and it's not the kind of thing people undertake with the idea of cutting corners. At any rate, if you do go and see the boat, please post your impressions here.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:54   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Perhaps a useless thought.

Maybe search out a current active builder and ask for advice about a competent surveyor and maybe even a designer to review the boat.

Covey Island Boatworks comes to mind.

I’ve used Ted Brewer to review boats for us but I think he is not taking any more clients.

https://coveyisland.com
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:02   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Csdjng, perhaps speaking to the owner to ask about the design of the boat would be a good start. What was the boat designed for? Crossing oceans? Extended cruising? Local sailing? Also, if you can speak to the designer it could be quite revealing as well. Usually there is a design briefing- a sort of "mission statement" that describes the intended use of the boat and the desired outcome (easy to single hand, good in light air, tankage and storage for extended voyaging etc.).
You're absolutely right, but in this case I'm dealing with a Turkish broker, who will probably tell me that the boat will be perfectly suitable for everything I ask for, including ice-breaking missions to the Northpole if that's what i'm up for...

Due to this trying to make-up my own mind and browsing for as much information on capabilities of similar boats. Nonetheless, a design briefing is a great idea, perhaps they still have this on record which I will surely ask for. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Perhaps a useless thought.

Maybe search out a current active builder and ask for advice about a competent surveyor and maybe even a designer to review the boat.

Covey Island Boatworks comes to mind.

I’ve used Ted Brewer to review boats for us but I think he is not taking any more clients.

https://coveyisland.com
Thanks, will surely look it into it!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The very large engine is kinda odd, but may reflect the original owners personal prejudices and the design brief given the designer. Tankage is huge and suggests that she was conceived as a motor sailer. Some review of the SA to D numbers would be in order, as would a conference with her designer.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As always, from Jim, a very instructive post.

The large, very large, even HUGE genoa is interesting. I say interesting because the rig appears to be able to set different sails for different conditions. It might be instructive to find out why it is so large. It may well be related to the design brief about the types/points of sail it was designed for, i.e., downwind, reaching vs beating (I know, we "shouldn't" like that as something to be done regularly...).

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:16   #30

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Looks like a beautiful boat, but the draft will keep you out of some great anchorages and the length will be a problem in some boatyards (and in some mooring fields, and in some marinas). There are of course lots of boats of this size out there, but I think many cruisers would shoot for something a little smaller and with a draft of less than 6 feet.

Also, I am not sure but I think it might be challenging to find cruising insurance for this boat, and even more challenging as the boat ages.

I am sure you have heard the ten percent rule for boat maintenance.

But good luck with your dream. My wife and I always say that we hope to sail around the world, but that we are doing it at our own pace, and whether we make it or not we're enjoying the journey.
Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote