Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 07:32   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Thoughts on capabilities of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdjng View Post
Thanks a lot for all your feedback! I'm going to read in to the concept of epoxy laminated mahogany a bit more. I'm surely no expert on that subject.

One other thing that worries me a bit is that it shows 32t of displacement, and its engine (268hp) proves it needs quite a bit of power to propel it through the water. Compared to a Super Maramu (16m, 16t) or Amel 55 (17,4m, 21t), I wonder if it will pick up speed under sail at all?

However, I fully agree it looks absolutely stunning. I will continue to look for red flags, I would like to maintain a rational position at this point, but if I don't find enough, I might have to drop by somewhere next month for a visit...
We have a 1984 Camper & Nicholson58, 40 tons loaded. It’s a nice ride and was built as a trade winds reacher. 10-12 knots on a reach is normal. There were not many made but occasionally hit the market. The Amels are nice boats. Many on the Amel dock in Marin, Martinique.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:50   #32

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I agree with the assessment of the would construction . Our club has several cold moulded and strip planked boats built by people of various capabilities. In the 30 odd years I have know the boatsthere have been no mechanical failures and one issue with rot due to neglect over a 20 year period.
If the survey checks out that boat looks fantastic. Probaly way better than a production one
Old 12-10-2018, 12:32   #33

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdjng View Post
...Options that are being reviewed: Hanse 540, Beneteau 57 and a bit more outdated Atlantic 60.

Furthermore, in my many hours of window-shopping I stumbled across this listing as well: Yacht Marine - S/Y SERENITY 19 m
The Stichnoth designed SES looks fantastic. 32 tons, Displ/len around 190, not too heavy in my opinion but at 63 ft, a handful for shorthanded. Fin keel, and a sweet hull shape so don't worry about it's sailing capabilities (look at photos, it has high tech sails, it's meant for performance). Draft 8ft, not a problem in most places, and promotes good sailing characteristics. (my boat has 8',never has been an issue). Heavy weather capabilities? Obviously it will handle it, strong, big, fast. Wood a problem? Yes you need a good survey, but like others have said, wood saturated with epoxy is not generally a problem, and it is imminently repairable. Check SA/Disp but I'll bet its fine (if it is over 16, it is good for performance cruising).

Reality, resale will be tougher, and I don't like the "in-mast" mainsail but in this size, maybe it's OK, and I'm not too keen on the inside steering station and small wheel, never trust a sailor (or the previous owner of this boat) who doesn't want to feel the wind in his face.

Get a good survey, and it will be interesting to see if it is as nice as it looks in the photos. I'll bet it does.

I'd go for the SES. Anyone can get a Hanse or Beneteau. I don't like to be a follower.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 18:40   #34

Boat: Catalina 25

My first thoughts were the 18L/hr fuel consumption and the rather largish engine. Second thoughts were that is that it is outside your 250K for hardware (before you add your personal touches). And if it is space you are after, unless you are just a hardcore monohull kind of fellow, you might want to consider a catamaran for the space and 250K can get you a similarly aged cat with enough left over to customize to your own taste.

Something about this boat says they started with the drawings of a motorboat and added things for the mast.

Beautiful inside but too much wood exposed for me. Teak deck is HOT in the sunshine and oh the hours to keep it looking nice.....
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 20:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0978 View Post
you might want to consider a catamaran for the space and 250K can get you a similarly aged cat with enough left over to customize to your own taste....
Mark, you are projecting you own preferences (maybe as we all are).

He'll offer less and he'll get more for $250K than he could get in a cat for that money, my opinion. This is a big, strong, well found ocean cruiser in little used condition. And 18L/hr in a 63', 32t boat isn't bad, it's just a very big boat.

Quote:
Something about this boat says they started with the drawings of a motorboat and added things for the mast.
What is it that tells you that? I think you are absolutely incorrect, this boat is a pure sailing boat from the get-go. That's obvious if you look at the hull shape, sail plan, rig and the measurements that we can get. It is also clear that the person who commissioned this design wanted lots of powering capability, (the big engine, the big tankage) however it is not excessive. My race boat has over 500nm range under power, this boat has only 700. Pretty moderate, in my opinion.

Quote:
Beautiful inside but too much wood exposed for me. Teak deck is HOT in the sunshine and oh the hours to keep it looking nice.....
Yep, all true, too much for me either, but now we're down to individual preferences. If you are doing a 63 ft luxury boat you might as well have luxury everywhere, inside and on deck. If the photos are accurate this boat is little used and in magnificent condition. It will take a bit of cash to keep it that way, but so would a Beneteau or Hanse
Old 12-10-2018, 20:33   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I await the news as to the age of the photos. Considering the price, I have a niggling suspicion that the condition isn't quite as pristine as is shown. I hope that I am wrong.

Also, I wonder at what speed of motoring is the 17 L/hr figure valid?

Jim
Old 12-10-2018, 21:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I await the news as to the age of the photos. Considering the price, I have a niggling suspicion that the condition isn't quite as pristine as is shown. I hope that I am wrong.

Also, I wonder at what speed of motoring is the 17 L/hr figure valid?

Jim
At 9.6 kts the 1550 lt. fuel will last for 850 miles, however the specs say range is 700 miles. Conservative.

This boat will be pretty good. The owner will have been a wealthy man (probably German) who is now either too old or passed away, and he had the boat well maintained. (Just a guess).

The price is a reflection of:
1. Wood
2. Age
3. One-off
4. And now days most folks don't care if it can sail or not.