Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2024, 05:52   #16

Boat: Moody 39
Talking Re: Thoughts on possible new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoonrob View Post
I have been looking for similar and if the 10 or so I have looked at in that budget all are full on refits.

I am curious, how does one hang a dinghy from davits and still have room for a windvane?
My current boat manages. The vane is a long shaft Hydrovane and the dinghy sits lower than the head unit, but still high enough that you can get on and off the boat via the stern.
I had to put a lot of thought in to it, trading off the positions of each component. In hindsight I needn't have tried so hard. I only actually use the vane on long passages where the dinghy is on deck anyway.
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 09:03   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Thoughts on possible new boat

Kelly Peterson 44?

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...on-44-9226314/

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 09:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
Starlight 39 looks interesting, I'm not completely sold on the galley.

Warrior 40 might be good, cockpit is a bit small and it has a saildrive.

A more modern Moody could work. They tend to waste space in the aft cabin with a pointless settee.
The Starlight 39 is a real stern slapper. They have small tankage,
They perform well but you would find them relatively lightly built compared to your Moody
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 09:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Looks nice but too big. My number one requirement is that the boat is under 12m.
Old 11-03-2024, 10:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering1 View Post
The Starlight 39 is a real stern slapper. They have small tankage,
They perform well but you would find them relatively lightly built compared to your Moody
Good to know, thanks!
Old 11-03-2024, 13:12   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Looks nice but too big. My number one requirement is that the boat is under 12m.
You will find those are mostly sloops. Do you plan to sail in England or cross oceans or the Med? Much depends on what plans you have.

So under 12m I would look for a sloop. I have found little use for a cutter stay on a sloop so yes a solent stay gives you the option for a jib and a genoa both ready to go

Old 11-03-2024, 13:36   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ours is a sloop with a Solent stay. The downside is that the genoa won't tack through the slot w/o being completely rolled up first. Now, on ocean passages, it doesn't matter, but it is a real pain if you want to short tack in light airs. Sometimes we use the staysail for that, just because it's way easier to tack, even though then we're under powered.

...I must add that since we got the Milwaukee tool (big, 1/2" drive right angle drill with a bitt to fit in the winches), tacking the genoa got a lot faster.

Ann
Old 11-03-2024, 16:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You will find those are mostly sloops. Do you plan to sail in England or cross oceans or the Med? Much depends on what plans you have.

So under 12m I would look for a sloop. I have found little use for a cutter stay on a sloop so yes a solent stay gives you the option for a jib and a genoa both ready to go
I really don't want to get hung up on the whole sloop/solent/cutter thing. It's literally the last and least important point on my list.
My previous boat had been retro fitted with a removable inner forestay, no furler, and I really miss it. Downwind under two headsails is great!

England is one place I have never actually sailed. But I have sailed from Scotland via Ireland and Wales through to the Med, and across to the Caribbean. The potential future boat would hopefully be capable of a circumnavigation. But another Atlantic circuit would be the bare minimum.
Old 11-03-2024, 16:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Ours is a sloop with a Solent stay. The downside is that the genoa won't tack through the slot w/o being completely rolled up first. Now, on ocean passages, it doesn't matter, but it is a real pain if you want to short tack in light airs. Sometimes we use the staysail for that, just because it's way easier to tack, even though then we're under powered.

...I must add that since we got the Milwaukee tool (big, 1/2" drive right angle drill with a bitt to fit in the winches), tacking the genoa got a lot faster.

Ann
I've never had a boat with two furlers. But it's pretty popular so I guess people put up with it.
For the size of boat I'm considering, I think hanked on sails would work well enough for an inner forestay. Then that stay could be made removable for coastal and day sailing where lots of tacking is required.
Old 11-03-2024, 16:08   #25

Boat: Downeaster 38

If you’re like me you’ll spend years researching, weighing options, deciding what boats will perfectly fit your needs… then go buy something completely different
Thomas1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 02:16   #26

Better stick with your Moody and skip the hustle.
simer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 03:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by simer View Post
Better stick with your Moody and skip the hustle.
Maybe! I've had the boat for five years and been living aboard for three. It works pretty well.
About to do a long upwind passage on port tack, the tack on which we have no sea berth. It's going to expose all of her shortcomings, especially if we can't make the angle we need...
Old 12-03-2024, 09:45   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Maybe! I've had the boat for five years and been living aboard for three. It works pretty well.
About to do a long upwind passage on port tack, the tack on which we have no sea berth. It's going to expose all of her shortcomings, especially if we can't make the angle we need...
I agree to keep the Moody. It’s a great boat and you can simply invest in improvements instead of a new boat that also needs improvements.

A good lee cloth system can fix the sea berth issue. Rigging and sails can all be modified if needed.

Tags
boat, new boat