Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 06:54   #1

Thoughts on Redwing 30?

I'm considering acquiring a cheap-enough 1970 Redwing 30 in passable condition. I have two goals for it: I'd like my family of 4 (which includes a 6' man and a 2 year old) to be comfortable spending a long weekend on it at the marina, and I'd like to be able to hold my own in one of the weeknight club races. I have no intention of going a long distance in the boat, but it has the original gas engine which does make me a little nervous. We currently have a 20' Edel 6, that my son loves so we'll probably keep it, but it doesn't do either of these things well - it's just a solid day sailer for a quiet day in the Bay.

I had thought I'd look for a 35-40 footer and emphasize the living space, but that leads to a big jump in cost, and the redwing is so insanely pretty I'm about to talk myself into it. But I'm not sure it's different enough from what I have - the head is very small, there doesn't appear to be a lot of headroom in the cabin, and it's also a tiller boat (one with a wheel might be nice?). But it sounds like it's good for racing.

I realize this is just a "what are my priorities" question, but if anybody knows anything about this boat that could tip the scales I'd love to hear from you!
carovina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 10:58   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Thoughts on Redwing 30?

Unless there are other Redwings in the fleet, don't expect to hold your own in club races. A PHRF rating around 195 indicates a relatively slow boat in that size range. The Pearson 30, Tartan 30, O'Day 30 and Hunter 30 all rate substantially faster. The J/30 would be in an entirely different speed category, but with perhaps the same level of creature comfort as a '70's cruiser. For a family of 4 with at least one son, you were right tol want as much boat as possible, and hopefully enough performance to keep everyone interested. Space down below will be key to having enjoyable weekends. Boat prices are high right now, with little inventory. It might be best to keep sailing the Edel for now and to wait for people who snapped up all the used boats to learn that they aren't really that into it, and decide to sell. Then you'll have a wider choice and better prices.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 11:58   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I owned and raced a Redwing for 11 years.
Solid boat, but as mentioned has a high PHRF rating. It took me some time and good sails but got to where I could sail to the rating. A good bottom, and keel and rudder fairing helped too.
We were three time overall Wednesday night champs in that time. With a fleet of 50 boats across 4 classes.
We did ok in the weekend races as well.
Cruised as well, once for a week or two with another couple, as well as short trips with our two kids.
That is not to say that the Redwing is a speed demon. But can be a fun boat.
All the usual older boat caveats apply. Decks, engine, sails, rigging.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 12:51   #4

Boat: Sabre 28

I sorely miss my old Redwing anytime I race on someones boat. She would have put my friends Pearson 30 to shame. Mine was 1968 hull #7 shoal draft. She was excellent in light wind and pointed higher than any boat of that era I have been on. Very nimble and responsive to the tiller. It is crucial that she have a clean bottom.

While she would be fine for long weekends at the marina I would not call her interior spacious what with only 22 feet at the water line, but that was part of what made her good in light air. The v berth will be cramped for your man, but amidship should be fine.
This review was one reason I bought my Redwing. Review - 30 Redwing
If you don't buy it let me know. I sure do miss mine, and might buy the one you found.
Old 15-09-2021, 21:11   #5

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

I always thought the Redwing 30 was one of the prettiest boats George Hinterholler built. You aren't gonna be a big winner in the Wed night series with the 195 PHRF rated boat.....but who cares. We are one to the few tiller equipped C&C 29's and I sold the wheel bits and pieces and never looked back. Tillers train better sailors.

If your interested in what can be done, go to the Youngstown YC (NY) racing results and peruse the records for Pegasus owned and sailed by Andrews Hooker. He is a really good skipper and does very well in the fleet sailing PHRF NFS. He holds Captain papers and really maintains the Redwing 30 in Bristol condition. Fun to own a classic.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 21:42   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carovina View Post

I had thought I'd look for a 35-40 footer and emphasize the living space, but that leads to a big jump in cost, and the redwing is so insanely pretty I'm about to talk myself into it.
I think you know the answer. It's not about being the fastest boat. It's about the people and the camaraderie. It's enough just being on the water with your family and sharing a good time.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 10:49   #7

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Oh you have to measure the number of nights cruising in a cozy boat versus the number of afternoons with a really expansive cockpit full of friends.....only you can judge that.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:31   #8

Boat: 1970 C&C Redwing 30

So in the end, what did you decide? Did you buy the Redwing? If so how about posting a picture or two!
HalifaxSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:19   #9

Boat: Irwin 43 MkIII

I owned/raced a C&C 35-1 for 11 years. It came with 13 sails so I never bought any new ones. I won my share of races. The 30 is very similar. Remember, you are probably racing PHRF which means you are sailing against other boats and their rating. The Redwing 30 at 195 could do very well against the "competition".