Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 11:18   #1

Thoughts Wanted on Sailboat Models for Our Needs

Hello all and thanks for any thoughts you may have for us.

My husband and I are planning on buying a boat that will allow us to sail in many Montana lakes as well as an occasional month long excursion to the Bellingham / San Juan area for liveaboards and cruising (probably 1 mnth a year for 2 yrs). Our ultimate plan is to hone our sailing skills for a few years with this boat, then move up to something bigger for a longer 6 month - 1 year ocean trip (location to be determined) in 2-3 years.

For this immediate boat to sail in MT and occasionally the San Juans, we forsee needing the following characteristics:
* Trailerable and light enough to be pulled by a 4 cylinder 2009 Tacoma (max towing weight 3500 lbs, but we'd rather be around 2,000-3,000 lbs)
* Comfortable berths for 2 with the ability to have 2 additional guests sleeping aboard occasionally, with a cockpit tent an option
* Stove, preferably 2 burner
* Porta-potti,
* More concerned with stability vs speed
* Would prefer swing or retractable keel/centerboard/daggerboard vs water ballast
* Well constructed for both lake sailing and near coastal (San Juans)
* Relatively inexpensive (<$4000 with trailer/motor). We are handy and capable of working on cosmetics as long as the boat is sound
* Having a setup that can be fairly easily single-handled would be preferred.

I have a sailing background, but my husband is a beginner. Are there any other major considerations anyone think we need to consider? (I'm sure there are tons.)

Right now we're considering the West Wight Potter 19 as our first choice. We also love the Pacific Seacraft Flicka, but they, of course are beyond the budget at this point. The following boats have also been recommended by an experienced friend: Catalina 25, older Hunters, O'Days, and Cals. Any thoughts on these or any others? Any other glaring details we are overlooking? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
MontanaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Hey MontanaSailor.....welcome to the forum.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:35   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Catalina 22 swing keel pop top? A little tough to get over all the passes on I-90 with a 4 cyl taco but doable. I've done it several times in the past with a hobie 16, but nothing heavier.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:43   #4

I second the Cat22 recommend
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:48   #5

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I just looked at this fairly in depth review (Catalina 22 Boat Review) that doesn't recommend the vintage before 1986. Would you guys agree with it? It seems like the price of the boat increase greatly in post-1986 models.
MontanaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 17:39   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I don't think I've been on any that new.........Just like any old boat they'll need upkeep, if they've had it I can't see any reason to avoid them, just check the deck and rigging.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 20:20   #7
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
I would second (or third) the Catalina, but I sure wouldn't attempt to take it over Lookout pass with a four banger. You'll get passed by the semis.
Old 14-10-2010, 12:29   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and thanks for the question.
I've sailed the Catalina 22 and the WWP 19 extensively the
Catalinas are great and have just a bit more interior space as the WWP 19 but are usually cheaper. The quality of build with the older Catalina and the newer Catalina is about equal so I don't know why the '86 cutoff.
Your Tacoma is the same as my 2000 model apparently and I've hauled a lot more boat up steeper hills and it'll handle it.
I like Venture of Newport 23s for their design. Not the Venture 23 but Venture of Newport 23 sometimes listed as a VN 23.
Try to find Kent Ranger (not plain Ranger) and some of the smaller San Juan boats. A swing keel Catalina 25 would be a great choice.
Try sailboatlistings.com and craigslist for Washington, Oregon and your area. I think you'll find lots of boats. An example below. I think there is one in Eugene as well.

1973 MacGregor Venture Newport 23

kind regards,
Old 14-10-2010, 17:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and thanks for the question.
I've sailed the Catalina 22 and the WWP 19 extensively the
Catalinas are great and have just a bit more interior space as the WWP 19 but are usually cheaper. The quality of build with the older Catalina and the newer Catalina is about equal so I don't know why the '86 cutoff.
Your Tacoma is the same as my 2000 model apparently and I've hauled a lot more boat up steeper hills and it'll handle it.
I like Venture of Newport 23s for their design. Not the Venture 23 but Venture of Newport 23 sometimes listed as a VN 23.
Try to find Kent Ranger (not plain Ranger) and some of the smaller San Juan boats. A swing keel Catalina 25 would be a great choice.
Try sailboatlistings.com and craigslist for Washington, Oregon and your area. I think you'll find lots of boats. An example below. I think there is one in Eugene as well.

1973 MacGregor Venture Newport 23

kind regards,
Wonderful post!
Greg