Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 09:49   #1

Through hull corosion

I have a 1984 sailboat. The head intake seacock froze last summe. The seacock is removed and is soaking in PB Blaster.
My question is reguarding the through hull.
There is a VERY slight surface corrosion on the through hull. The through hull seems sound.
The question is, should I leave it alone or clean it to a bright finish ??
If cleaning it to a bright finish should it be left natural or coated with lacquer ??
Thanks. Cat Nap2
Cat nap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:13   #2

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Through hull corosion

All of my Apollo Conbraco seacock valves had unacceptable lever operation when I purchased the boat, almost new.

The suggested steps of repeated actuation operations and lubrication had ZERO effect.

The only thing that worked was to disassemble the stem and seal, clean, lubricate and selectively tighten the stem gland nut

Now every one of my seacock valves has an excellent feel. They are like flipping a light switch.

The exterior bronze surface had the normal green patina on a coarse sand casting surface. I polished the exterior to a smooth high gloss. Then used primer, epoxy, sanded smooth again, then Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel aerosol. The exterior has retained a glossy plastic surface after years of operation in salt water.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Through hull corosion

Wingless, in all the years I've been dealing with ball valve seacocks it never occurred to me that the binding that happens is the stem not the ball. Thanks for the tip.

Tags
hull