Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2020, 09:09   #16

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Tiller vs Wheel

Fortunately, you cannot go wrong with either, and the debate will continue for decades. I love my wheel because it is so easily accessible from all over the cockpit (windward/leeward), and easy on the arms for longer cruising.

As pointed out earlier, wheels take up more space, but my Edson wheel pops off very quickly and easily for storage on the rail during maintenance, cocktails and dinners in the cockpit.

And just so no one jumps all over me; yes, I put it back on before hitting the sack in case I need a fast departure in the night.

(And...with a pedestal, you can use the new PedPox system for storing your safety gear)
All that said..I love the comment about tiller boats not carrying spare wheels....clever.
SabreME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:52   #17

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Well having sailed both a Tiller equipped and Wheel installed C&C 29, I much prefer the Tiller. Nobody has mentioned one of the best features of the tiller, nestled under the dodger in the driving rain with the extension fitted. Why sailors want to drive standing out in the weather has always been a mystery to me.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 10:20   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Actually, the one thing I miss about not having a wheel is the lack of good places to mount displays. The pedestal is such a great place to mount all the essential nav. displays.
Old 13-03-2020, 10:27   #19

Boat: Dufour 29

I sail in the same areas, but largely on the upper Hudson where the river has heavy traffic and limited channels. I have sailed on a variety of boats, from under 30 to well over 40 feet, and with both tiller and wheel. I presently sail a 29 footer with wheel, which I prefer for the following reasons:
1. The first mate is more comfortable with the wheel.
2. Our instruments are mainly to the front, and we use these a lot when the channels are narrow, so facing forward behind a wheel is more comfortable.
3. In narrow areas where there is also heavy barge traffic, we have to tack often, and wheel keeps things a little simpler then.
4. It is easy to lock wheel for short time, though of course you can do same with bungee strap on tiller.
5. See # 1 again.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 10:42   #20

Boat: B24

Probably helps to know how well balanced the boat is, but generally my Admiral prefers the wheel and I like the tiller -- neither is a deal-breaker as long as the mechanics of it are generally accessible for periodic maintenance; I lean toward the feel of the tiller though because I seem to be more attentive to the balance of the sails...
Old 13-03-2020, 10:50   #21

Boat: Dufour 29

Good point, DCSTRNG. I used to sail mainly with tiller on racing oriented boats, and when I made the switch first time thought wheel was a bit indirect. But sailing a heavier cruiser these days, and after using wheel a lot more, I don't miss the tiller. Also have a sort of margarita seat on transom, so now I can sit on either side or right in back, making for greater comfort on longer trips.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 06:32   #22

Boat: Bristol 31.1

We're looking at 28-30 ft boats and a nice tiller-equipped one has come up, so I'm pondering the pros and cons.
I sailed 22 to 26 foot trailerable boats (all tiller steered of course) for 20 years and when we bought a 30 footer (since sold) with a wheel i thought I had finally hit the big time. All the boats we've seen so far have been wheel-steered boats but we're looking at an Islander 28 with tiller today, and i feel like I'm going back to my small-boat days.
My wife was not with me in my small-boat days so the tiller is new to her, but she says she's ok with it. Hence my interest in this older thread.
My only concern is, i recall long hours at the tiller being fatiguing. Maybe thats where a good autopilot comes in handy? Or are larger keel boats track well enough that the helm is easier?
gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 07:09   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gansett View Post
We're looking at 28-30 ft boats and a nice tiller-equipped one has come up, so I'm pondering the pros and cons.
I sailed 22 to 26 foot trailerable boats (all tiller steered of course) for 20 years and when we bought a 30 footer (since sold) with a wheel i thought I had finally hit the big time. All the boats we've seen so far have been wheel-steered boats but we're looking at an Islander 28 with tiller today, and i feel like I'm going back to my small-boat days.
My wife was not with me in my small-boat days so the tiller is new to her, but she says she's ok with it. Hence my interest in this older thread.
My only concern is, i recall long hours at the tiller being fatiguing. Maybe thats where a good autopilot comes in handy? Or are larger keel boats track well enough that the helm is easier?
The helm is probably easier on a larger boat but you'll still want an autopilot if you plan so sail more than a few hours at a time.

As a singlehander that has to go to the mast to raise the main, my autopilot is on and driving the boat within a couple minutes after I leave my marina.

I have both a Simrad and a Raymaine tiller autopilot. I thought I had broken the Simrad so bought the Raymarine then I got the Simrad working again or it fixed itself after total discharge.

I think I probably crossed wires once when my connections came loose at sea.

The Raymarine also failed when the shaft came out so I sailed home with balanced sails and slight corrections with the tiller between my legs. Luckily I was only 20 miles from home. Then I discovered the shaft had only just unscrewed itself so I reattached it.

If you do get a tiller boat, take care of your tiller. I thought mine was indestructible until it broke in half. I taped it because of a crack. It broke right at/under the tape after the dampness caused by the tape weaked the it enough.

It was blowing 18-20 when it broke and I was again near home and steered with the sails for a few miles then used the outboard and it's tiller to go into my home creek and dock.

I should have replaced the tiller immediately when I saw the hairline crack instead of taping it. On my new one, I have varnish it a few coats and keep it covered when not un use.

I also have a 2 x 4 onboard of about 4' long the PO used when docked to keep the pilings from scratching the boat. I could use that in an emergency if offshore. I'd have to rig it to fit but it could be done with the stuff I have onboard.

The Raymarine autopilot is steering here in about 25-30 knots. You can hear it at the start of the video

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	217889   Click image for larger version

Name:	New tiller.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	217890  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 07:53   #24

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I would be happy with a tiller generally and would insist on it going offshore:
Able to repair
Easier to install auto pilots
Cheaper autopilots.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 08:17   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

Imho a wheel on any small sail boat is a no no.

A sailing boat is not a car.

If a small boat is to hard to control by tiller, the design has been botched.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 04:02   #26

Just an observation, but in the UK and Australia, tillers seem to be more common (especially in boats under 40'). In North America, wheels are the thing.

My sense is that it's been a modern marketing effort to make sailing seem more accessible to newbies: "just like driving a car" and all that. Which, of course, is the advantage and disadvantage simultaneously.

My preference is always for a tiller but then, I'm a dinghy sailor so I started out with a tiller. As Mike says, there's such a feel to it. You absolutely know if she's sailing well when you have a tiller to hand. With a wheel, it's more blunted and there's also an inherent delay.

Just my two cents,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel