Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 06:14   #1

Tiller vs Wheel

Morning all, looking for a 25’-36’ for primarily Hudson River/Long Island Sound day/weekender sailing. I’ve come across both tiller and wheel configured boats in this range. I am capable in both, just wondering preferences and any distinct advantages/disadvantages.
Thanks
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:01   #2

Boat: Farr 43`
Re: Tiller vs Wheel

Tiller takes up more room at sea, wheel takes more space at anchor.
Tiller has advantages for multi tasking - hold with knee or foot while winching, simple auto pilot solutions and positive feedback for ruder control.
Ergonomics of a wheel can be better for extended helming.
Although a good wheel setup can deliver great feel it is a more complex system and there is always a dead spot at centre helm.
More leverage available from a wheel.
Wheel panders to my ego making me feel more masterful
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:11   #3

Depends on the boat, for day use and the odd weekend I'd be looking for something "sporty" and fun. For that I'd prefer tiller. And probably under 30'.
For me I'd be taking a look a Jboats and the likes.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:12   #4

If given my choice, depending on boat size and balance of the boat I'd take a tiller everytime. Fool proof for maintenance and nothing gives you feedback like a tiller. Stand it straight up and use all of your cockpit. If you need a cheap autopilot your typical tiller pilot is certainly the cheap seats and they work just fine. If you were going to hook up a vane for self steering nothing works as well as a tiller. Typically you are limited in boat size and after about mid to upper 30's your going to have to go with a wheel unless the boat is extremely well balanced.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:25   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Both are fine. My previous boat was a 34-footer, and it had a wheel. My current boat is a 37-footer, and it has a tiller. Two previous boats beyond that, a 22' and a 26', both had tillers.

At this point I prefer a tiller (bias showing, no doubt). They are mechanically a lot simpler, give immediate feedback regarding what is happening with the boat, are easy to helm for long periods, are a lot easier to fit to a windvane or cheap autopilot, and can be moved out of the way at anchor opening up the whole cockpit.

Some cockpits/tiller layouts have the tiller sweeping through much of the space -- but certainly not all. My cockpit remains fully functional while underway. Crew can move and sit in the cockpit, while the helmsperson is managing the tiller.

The main advantage if a wheel is also it's disadvantage: the added mechanical power. This might be good in some circumstances, but I also think it makes it easier to ignore poor sail trim. With the tiller, if you're out of balance, you feel it!
Old 12-03-2020, 07:33   #6

There's a world of difference between a 25' boat and a 36' boat, so I don't see how you could come to a universal conclusion.

Up to about 30', my first choice would be a tiller. After 30', a wheel starts to make sense to me. Although, I wouldn't let a tiller keep me away from purchasing a 30'+ boat that had a tiller.

I will say, however, that overall, I'm partial to a tiller, partly for it's simplicity.

For the way I sail, a below deck auto-pilot isn't really necessary, so part of my decision has to do with the practicality of a tiller mount or pedestal mount auto-pilot.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:37   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

a forward and aft lever to steer port and starboard has all the advantages of a wheel but takes up less space

Another option is to add a clutch to lock the helm as well as a trim tab. With this, you can steer a boat 10 times larger still using a tiller.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:40   #8

The same answer for all sailing questions: It depends.

I can't really imagine a 25 foot boat that should have a wheel... but by the time you get to a 36 it's a different story.

There is no single answer, unless you make the tiller/wheel choice a high priority one for you.

In my case, I would prefer a tiller, up to the point where it became too difficult to handle. Since I insist on skeg hung rudders for offshore cruising work, that transition is somewhere around 32 to 34 feet.

With a well designed, spade rudder for inshore work or racing, the sky is the limit. There are 50 footers--and bigger--with tillers.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 14:36   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I’m rather surprised no one has yet taken the opportunity to point out “never heard of a tiller equipped boat that carried an emergency wheel”. I always find this irritating.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 14:59   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I’m rather surprised no one has yet taken the opportunity to point out “never heard of a tiller equipped boat that carried an emergency wheel”. I always find this irritating.
Having been in the company of several boats whose tillers broke underway, carrying a spare "emergency tiller" ain't such a silly idea IMO.

Jim
Old 12-03-2020, 15:26   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

In a small boat it is all your preference.

I prefer tiller in anything less than 40'.

Over 40', racers are still fine with a tiller but cruisers tend to become hard work.

Maybe you can get a ride on the specific boat that you want and get to see how each mode works for you?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 19:47   #12

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
Morning all, looking for a 25’-36’ for primarily Hudson River/Long Island Sound day/weekender sailing. I’ve come across both tiller and wheel configured boats in this range. I am capable in both, just wondering preferences and any distinct advantages/disadvantages.
Thanks
Perhaps I'm not qualified to reply since I've never sailed with a tiller, but I'm also curious since I want a second boat, daysailer, with a tiller. I've read that with a tiller you can feel the boat and the forces on it. I've read that all boats under a certain length (opinions vary but up to 45'), should only have a tiller but I've actually never seen a boat over 30' have a tiller. I sail for up to 6 weeks on trips per season and I rely on autopilot for breaks since I sail solo (with the co-pilot who brings me food and drinks). I love the wheel when the winds pickup so I can actually feel the boat, which tells me how to trim or reef the sails. I love the wheel when I get bored and try to scratch out the extra quarter knot. Otherwise, I'm relaxing on autopilot and wonder how autopilots work with a tiller.

I keep looking for a smaller daysailer with tiller and look forward to actually feeling the boat in lighter winds.

Sorry I can't provide a comparison, but perhaps my experience will provide some answers.
Old 13-03-2020, 07:16   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
...I've read that all boats under a certain length (opinions vary but up to 45'), should only have a tiller but I've actually never seen a boat over 30' have a tiller.
Here you go... 37-foot, 15 tons. Tiller driven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP5684.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	210544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0816.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	210545  

Old 13-03-2020, 08:37   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post

I can see several ways it might be irritating. What’s the specific reason it irritates you?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 08:39   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
Perhaps I'm not qualified to reply since I've never sailed with a tiller, but I'm also curious since I want a second boat, daysailer, with a tiller. I've read that with a tiller you can feel the boat and the forces on it. I've read that all boats under a certain length (opinions vary but up to 45'), should only have a tiller but I've actually never seen a boat over 30' have a tiller. I sail for up to 6 weeks on trips per season and I rely on autopilot for breaks since I sail solo (with the co-pilot who brings me food and drinks). I love the wheel when the winds pickup so I can actually feel the boat, which tells me how to trim or reef the sails. I love the wheel when I get bored and try to scratch out the extra quarter knot. Otherwise, I'm relaxing on autopilot and wonder how autopilots work with a tiller.

I keep looking for a smaller daysailer with tiller and look forward to actually feeling the boat in lighter winds.

Sorry I can't provide a comparison, but perhaps my experience will provide some answers.

I used to race on Cal40s. Some had tillers some wheels. I preferred tiller.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel