Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2022, 06:38   #1

Boat: TBC
To Keel or not to Keel, that is the question.

Well I know one thing, keel we must.

But, fixed keel or moveable keel?

I am learning about boats now, looking for one around the £25k/35k mark. And around 35ft to 40ft.

I want to live aboard and plan to travel around the Med, but would also like to consider ocean crossings at some point when I am more experienced.

My limited knowledge is telling me Fixed Keel...

What keel is suggested for ocean crossing, because I don't want to keep updating boats for different types of boating. Trying to get it right from the start.

Does a full, fin, bilge keel (all fixed) all feel the same on the water?
I don't think I like the idea of a moving keel, or even a bolt on keel? Not only for strength but also the space it would take up if it comes into the hull?

Look forward to replies
mrk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 07:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: To Keel or not to Keel, that is the question.

No.. they don't all feel the same on the water..
https://www.sirius-yachts.com/choosing-the-best-keel/

https://svsparklemuffin.com/pros-and...f-a-full-keel/

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 07:28   #3

Re: To Keel or not to Keel, that is the question.

I think what I want to know is what do most people settle with? What is the most popular type of keel for ocean crossings and coastal cruising?
Old 27-07-2022, 07:28   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Welcome to the forum;
Since you obviously have limited knowledge and probably very little actual on the water experience, please don't be offended by advice from a sailor with 50 years of experience cruising and racing on many different boats.

With respect, you are probably not going to get a 35ft to 40ft boat that isn't a complete piece of junk (a major "project" boat) for £25k/35k. That's a nice dream, but not reality.

Keels: Different keel shapes and weights do feel different. A full keel feels very different compared to a short fin keel. Bolt-on keels are not a type of keel, it only refers a particular way of attaching a fin type of keel to the hull.

A bolt on fin keel could be a long or short, shallow or deep keel shape. The same shape could be welded to a steel hull or it could be an integral part of a fibreglass or concrete hull. Bolt on keels do not take up any space inside the hull. There are millions of words written about the strength aspects of full versus bolt on keels, don't believe everything you read.

Many French alloy boats have movable keels and inside ballast. You'll never afford one of these with the amount of $ you have, so forget about that option.
If I were you, I would get some sailing experience by actually going out sailing. Reading books is kind of fun, but would you learn to drive a car or to decide what kind of car you want by reading books?

You can learn to sail by taking on the water classes or by hanging out around marinas and yacht clubs, meeting boat owners, and trying to get invited to go day sailing or even better to crew on a race boat. Offering to help work on the boat is a good way to get invited to go sailing.

The absolute best way to learn to sail is to buy a 14-16ft dinghy and sail and race the hell out of it for a year. Would you start learning to ride on a motorcycle using a 1000cc BMW or a 100cc Honda? Start small and have lots of cheap fun. Big boats are "holes in the water where you pour in money"

good luck and I hope you get out sailing soon
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 07:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: To Keel or not to Keel, that is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk123 View Post
I think what I want to know is what do most people settle with? What is the most popular type of keel for ocean crossings and coastal cruising?
I settle for what I can afford at the time...
Have owned bilge keelers, fins and a couple of debatable full keelers.. and a couple of Wharrams.
They all fulfilled my need to be on the water.
Most sold today are fin keelers.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 07:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
Welcome to the forum;
Since you obviously have limited knowledge and probably very little actual on the water experience, please don't be offended by advice from a sailor with 50 years of experience cruising and racing on many different boats....
good luck and I hope you get out sailing soon

How dare you I am so offended....

No really, good advice, thanks... I am going away for winter, maybe moving to Greece, croatia or Portugal to learn how to sale and be closer to marinas and brokers... and hopefully transform my real estate / interiors photography business to photographing million pound yachts to 'stay afloat'.
Good shout on hanging around marinas and getting to befriend sailors.
Old 27-07-2022, 07:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I settle for what I can afford at the time...
Have owned bilge keelers, fins and a couple of debatable full keelers.. and a couple of Wharrams.
They all fulfilled my need to be on the water.
Most sold today are fin keelers.
Agreed on budget!

Tags
keel