Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2022, 05:41   #61

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: To Tartan or not to Tartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Morgan View Post
I’m aware that practically all new boats have encapsulated keels or centerboard keels.
Sorry, but you have things backwards here . Its been a long time since "all new boats" came with encapsulated keels ( something in the range of 30-40+ years) Not to mention how rare centerboards are these days!! Nothing wrong with a bolt on keel. You're over sensationalizing the few issues that have occurred. Its bit like saying that because you can get a flat tire you MUST avoid cars with pneumatic tires!

I think some more reading is in order. A bolted on keel is perfectly safe. Just survey the keel boats, check for any leaking from the bolts and avoid encapsulated keel bolts. Note that cast iron keels are bolted on AND the keel bolts can be withdrawn for inspection and replacement as needed.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 09:12   #62

Boat: 1980 Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Sorry, but you have things backwards here . Its been a long time since "all new boats" came with encapsulated keels ( something in the range of 30-40+ years) Not to mention how rare centerboards are these days!! Nothing wrong with a bolt on keel. You're over sensationalizing the few issues that have occurred. Its bit like saying that because you can get a flat tire you MUST avoid cars with pneumatic tires!

I think some more reading is in order. A bolted on keel is perfectly safe. Just survey the keel boats, check for any leaking from the bolts and avoid encapsulated keel bolts. Note that cast iron keels are bolted on AND the keel bolts can be withdrawn for inspection and replacement as needed.
Yes, I misspoke there I intended to imply that almost all new boats have bolt o. Keels not encapsulated. What a miss!
Cap Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:30   #63

Mayberry, yes, “I came to my senses” as you put it deciding that it’s more about the manufacturer than simply the fact that it has a bolt on keel.

In the end I decided upon a 1980 CAL 39 which does have an encapsulated keel. It came down to more about the condition of the hull, deck, rigging and engine as well as the price. Whereas the Cal isn’t the best Cruiser I decided to make the compromise. I hauled the boat out in Cape Canaveral, did the bottom plus many other tasks above that needed attention including rigging for single handing. With all that I failed to perform one very important thing that I will now recommend to everyone that purchases an old boat that’s been sitting for years. Prioritize emptying the fuel tank and cleaning it out. Sludge from bacteria has my boat stranded in Biscayne Bay as the engine quit for the second time. Any amount of shaking from waves or wakes stirs up the sludge. No amount of changing filters can help at this point. I had to be towed from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. Unfortunately I can’t get a mooring even though I tried to reserve one months ago. It’s first come first serve and the Snowbirds are here. I’m told that it will be mid March before I can reasonably expect to get one. In the meantime I’ve decided to haul her out again at which point I’ll:
1. Extract approximately 25 gallons of tainted fuel
2. Remove tank and clean thoroughly
3. Replace all fuel hoses
4. Replace my through hull transducer as it turns out the current one is no good
5. Have another unused through hull filled in .
Tomorrow I’ll be dingying out to the boat to begin replacement of my solar array, I’m building a new aluminum rack for two Newpowa solar panels and putting in a new charge controller.
Also on the near term list are a new Chartplotter, new VHF radio, new battery charger and monitor. I also need to figure out a cheapo but effective Dingy and motor hoisting system, davits are simply way too expensive for what I have. Then it’s on to repairing the many leaky windows and teak Hand and toe rails.
Anyone living in the Miami area that loves to work on these types of things with a few Beers are welcomed to join me bring this old girl up to spec. Better yet I need crew that wants to get in some free sailing. I haven’t sailed her yet. Just let me know by private message.

PS - tomorrow I’ll attempt to rig up a jerry can as a temporary fuel tank too. Desperate circumstances require desperate measures. I have also attached some photos of Envolee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	085B811A-DB28-457C-93A9-80910913CA2B.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	253807   Click image for larger version

Name:	3813A1E0-EC6F-486D-A6B3-B7DE00479129.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	253808  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C705247B-1874-457B-B994-553816404071.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	253809  
Old 01-03-2022, 11:57   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Dinghy hoisting: we made a three legged lifting harness (two legs to transom, one to the bow) from scrap old rope. We lay the dink alongside, just forward of the shrouds and use the spinnaker halyard to hoist it clear of the water. Reasonably easy to accomplish except in a heavy chop when getting from the dink to the deck is dicey. A longer harness that could be reached from the deck with a boat hook would make that bit easier (hint to self!).

Not elegant but it works well and costs little to set up.

Jim
Old 01-03-2022, 13:13   #65

Jim,

I'm doing exactly what you mentioned with the three legged harness and swinging the dinghy forward of the shrouds. A big problem that I have though is that once I get the dinghy in the water and position it off my stern to attach the motor which is stored on the stern railing its a brute to get the engine hoisted down to the dinghy with one arm. What are you doing as a hoisting mechanism for your outboard?
Old 01-03-2022, 14:02   #66

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Morgan View Post
Jim,

I'm doing exactly what you mentioned with the three legged harness and swinging the dinghy forward of the shrouds. A big problem that I have though is that once I get the dinghy in the water and position it off my stern to attach the motor which is stored on the stern railing its a brute to get the engine hoisted down to the dinghy with one arm. What are you doing as a hoisting mechanism for your outboard?
Well, we lift the dink with the motor on it, so motor exchange isn't a part of the daily routine. However, in our case we use a harness on the outboard and use the main halyard to lift off the motor when required. Once free of the dinghy, I walk the halyard and motor aft to where the storage bracket lies on the pushpit. The halyard is marked at the perfect point for engaging the motor onto the bracket and with a little wrestling I can get it in place. Reversing the process to get the motor back onto the dink. IMO doing the lift on or off is better with the dinghy amidships rather than at the stern as iin the case when a hoisting crane is used at the transom.

BTW, this is with a 15 hp Yamaha and a 3.5 m alloy bottomed RIB. I have done the engine thing singlehanded but it is much easier with Ann running the halyard winch for me whilst I control the hanging motor.

Jim
Old 02-03-2022, 04:58   #67

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

Cap Morgan, fwiw you could rig up a day tank, fed from the main filthy tanks. Coarse screening before the day tank pre-filter (think sea strainer/something you can easily clear), then decent filter, then day tank...then on to the boats filters. This is actually also a good long term solution if you have the space.
You will need a decent electric fuel pump for this but nothing special.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:33   #68

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Are you 100% sure that keel is encapsulated? This earlier post states that it is bolt on:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ck-134278.html
And Uncivilized tends to be good with his facts.

Also, you may find the owner's site helpful.
https://www.cal39.info/cal39mk3/ownermanualgeneral.PDF
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote