Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2022, 08:29   #1

Toggle bolts

I believe I need to replace my toggle bolts. They are the old kind that is threaded into the barrel and show rust so they must be way worse than I can see and probably about to break. I have searched and searched for rigging T-bolts without a saddle because the saddle is fine and would like to replace just the bolts. Why can I not find just the bolts?
Peterwm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:26   #2

Re: Toggle bolts

https://store.offshorespars.com/collections/turnbuckles Without a photo I don't know what you need, but here is where I buy individual turnbuckle parts when I need them
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:11   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

see if you can retrofit a regular turnbuckle.
Old 04-09-2022, 14:50   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.csjohnson.com/PDF/johnso...ne_catalog.pdf
Old 04-09-2022, 15:24   #5

I think I attached a picture, I'm new to this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterwm12 View Post
I believe I need to replace my toggle bolts. They are the old kind that is threaded into the barrel and show rust so they must be way worse than I can see and probably about to break. I have searched and searched for rigging T-bolts without a saddle because the saddle is fine and would like to replace just the bolts. Why can I not find just the bolts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16623301607283818460003870464763.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	263901  
Old 04-09-2022, 15:34   #6

What I am wondering is why is it not possible to buy just a t-bolt like this. It has to be cheaper than a toggle with a saddle and the saddles on the toggle bolts I have are perfectly good. This image is from a rigging website in new zealand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220904-183114_Chrome.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	263902  
Old 04-09-2022, 15:42   #7

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

With respect and in the interests of proper terminology,
What you call a "saddle" is actually called a "toggle" What you call a "toggle bolt" is also called a "T stud".

Generally speaking, the toggle and the "T" stud are sold as a single item. The only way to disconnect them is to spread the toggle enough to slide the T stud out. That is probably not a good idea as you will be stressing the metal in the toggle.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 16:10   #8

Right, thank you for clarifying that.

I wonder at what stage of production they become an inseperable unit and how do I position myself to intercept some T-bolts before they become T-studs and double in price. At the moment the answer seems to be go to new Zealand, or see if they can be shipped from there.
I know spreading the toggle would be less than ideal but I am willing to risk one additional instance of flexation to save the cost of 28 toggles.
Old 04-09-2022, 18:28   #9

Quote:
What I am wondering is why is it not possible to buy just a t-bolt like this. It has to be cheaper than a toggle with a saddle and the saddles on the toggle bolts I have are perfectly good. This image is from a rigging website in new zealand.

Re your pic of new "bolt & barrel" assy. On mine,the "barrel" shaped piece unscrews off the bolt using a vise & some leverage.They screw back together also & I used some Loctite Blue.

Since you are condemning your t-buckles,why not slack one , unscrew both ends from the body & take the parts to a vise.
Remove the barrels,clean & inspect to find where the rust stains are coming from.At the worst,you are out one turnbuckle.

Cheers/Len

Hayn https://www.hayn.com/marine/replacement/tb.html#ettj
Old 04-09-2022, 18:43   #10

Len,
I did not know if that was possible! I thought it must be, I can't remember if I might have tried at one point or what method, possibly half heartedly as not to break anything. I also saw on one thread here where someone said there would be a roll pin and of course multiple people saying you have to replace it, they are old, don't even make them like that anymore.
My next option was going to be to tig them so I can make a crossing to a place I can get a job and start saving up for new.
I will definitely try that tomorrow! I can guarantee I will find some that just snap 😬 I can't believe they haven't already.
Thanks for your reply Len! Sometimes all it takes is someone saying, "yeah, you can do that."
Old 04-09-2022, 18:59   #11

Quote:
Len,
I did not know if that was possible! I thought it must be, I can't remember if I might have tried at one point or what method, possibly half heartedly as not to break anything. I also saw on one thread here where someone said there would be a roll pin and of course multiple people saying you have to replace it, they are old, don't even make them like that anymore.
My next option was going to be to tig them so I can make a crossing to a place I can get a job and start saving up for new.
I will definitely try that tomorrow! I can guarantee I will find some that just snap 😬 I can't believe they haven't already.
Thanks for your reply Len! Sometimes all it takes is someone saying, "yeah, you can do that."

Use reasonable torque for your diameter of thread.
If they snap,they were going to anyway. Better it happen on shore. You will also be able to see the "internal" metal at the break.
This will help you decide how much to trust them.
Some of us live on tight budgets / L
Old 04-09-2022, 19:11   #12

Yes, it will be nice to get a good look at them and on a 43 year old boat I have become very familiar with crevice corrosion! Seems like its %25, if there are four bolts in something one is going to be completely porous.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:04   #13

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Take a piece of flat bar stainless and put it in a vise. Bend it 90 degrees and examine the corners. Then bend it back. Examine the cracks beginning to form.
Bend 90. Repeat till it snaps.
As with all rig questions, age and metal fatigue should be carefully considered.
In some cases, pulling the rig and saving up funds for a proper job, ends up costing far less than a spar failure.
The manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:39   #14

Thank you manateeman, I am familiar with metal fatigue. Tell me, how did they get the them in there in the first place? And yes I am willing to literally bet my life that the small amount of flex required to swap barrels is not going to cause rig failure.
Old 05-09-2022, 14:47   #15

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

When someone posts, we have no idea what they know or don’t know. Some people don’t have a clue about bending metals so we were just trying to help with the post. We also advise caution because of the serious nature of rigging failures.
T bolt toggles can be manufactured in several designs.
For example. HiLifting in China uses a closed body turnbuckle and wraps the toggle around the tee end. They’ve been in business for 20 years and it’s just the design they present.
Hayn, for example, uses a toggle with parallel sides and open body turnbuckles.
It’s the manufacturer we prefer.
We have never had any issue with Hayn and a lot of other builders trust them.
Your ship, your choice.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote