Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 04:45   #1

Top Hat 25

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a few questions if you don’t mind.

I am thinking about buying a Top Hat 25 built from 1969-1986 over here in Australia.

I have minimal keelboat experience but have sailed Sabots and lasers all my life. I have so had powerboats up to 55ft in the family.

I am asking whether, after doing the RYA competent crew course someone with my experience, could sail a small keelboat? I reckon buying the boat start sailing in perfect conditions and working my way into worse conditions. Let me know what you think
Regards,
Mick
Shanty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:54   #2

Re: Top Hat 25

Why not do it? there are lots of people of all skills/ages/personalities that have owned boats and enjoyed them ... you are no different.

My first keelboat experience was crewing for my dad on a Top Hat way back in the '60s - I should have written a book about our experiences.

It had a Wankel engine with variable pitch prop .... now that was unique!
gmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Top Hat 25

You should be fine..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmowbray View Post
Why not do it? there are lots of people of all skills/ages/personalities that have owned boats and enjoyed them ... you are no different.

My first keelboat experience was crewing for my dad on a Top Hat way back in the '60s - I should have written a book about our experiences.

It had a Wankel engine with variable pitch prop .... now that was unique!
Interesting. Did you have an original cold molded boat? Or a mark 1 fibreglass version? Did yo I find it easy to sail?
Thanks
Regards,
Mick
Old 01-07-2019, 06:29   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

I had one, it would be a good first boat for you.

Two things, they roll like pigs ddw, this is the biggest downside to them. Second thing is don't have an overlapping headsail, my boat came with one, it would want to round up terribly due to heel from a gust , even furled it wasn't great.

I sailed a mark 1 with just a jib , it was a different boat , fast ,responsive and a joy to sail.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:42   #6

Thanks for your information mate, I like the top hat because they have an excellent track record. Two have circumnavigated the world. I have been talking on sea breeze to a few top hat owners who do trips from Sydney to the Whitsundays or lizard island and back.

I have always though the mark 1s look like a bigger tougher boat than the mark 3s.

Once I have built up my confidence in one I would love to sail from the Gold Coast up to cape York. I’m only 20 so would love to do it before getting myself into a marriage in kids etc.

I have been reading a lot about Jessica Watson, Jesse Martin, Jon sanders and the like. I reckon for the challenge from Cape York I would Non stop it back to Gold Coast. Don’t want to get ahead of my self yet though lol.

Regards,
Mick
Old 01-07-2019, 06:56   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

It will be a mission getting back from cape york to the gold coast on the tophat, well the bit from the top to cairns anyway. Is it a outboard version or inboard.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:04   #8

It was a cold molded - I'd guess an early one too.

Was it challenging to sail - I really don't know .... you'd need to know my dad when he put his skipper's hat on.

What I do recall was a traveler that went across the center of the cockpit with a single winch in the middle (aft) for the jib. Tacking was quite a bit of a panic what with holding the jib through the wind, casting a sheet off and winching in the other all the while being loudly and enthusiastically "encouraged" by the skipper.
gmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:47   #9

Thank you all for your help. It has been greatly appreciated
Regards,
Mick