Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 15:06   #31

Re: trailerable sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divevac View Post
Rob

We talked about getting max sailing experience for minimum investment. That means seeking out a keelboat race crew before the season begins. Why not learn on someone else's boat? I can help you find someone who might take you on as most racers are perenially short of crew and always looking for reliable new crew whatever the experience level because they know you will learn quickly while racing. The learning curve is not steep and you will learn a ton about sailing just racing on the Bay of Quinte twice a week.

Do partake in the Learn to Sail offered at BQYC. Do it now-as the spots fill up quickly in the spring.

The alternative is to buy an older Laser ( I have one with a decent dolley) and sail the hell out of it for one summer in every conceivable weather condition. There IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR DINGHY EXPERIENCE. It will serve you well on any boat and in any weather because you experience the consequences of your actions (correct or incorrect) immediately. Truly sharpens your senses and intuition on the water. You will get wet and you will have a blast!

For what its worth piling on to our conversation of Thursday and taking into account the logical comments here, you could bite the bullet and buy a Shark. There are about 8 in the race fleet at BQYC. While most are alongside for the summer, the best local Shark racer dry sails out of Victoria Harbour. To avoid dockage fees, you'll need to find one on a trailer. There are always 1 or 2 for sale locally. There is a former racing Shark on a trailer at West Lake with two full suites of sails. A little TLC and you're good to go. Lots of potential for Shark resale in the local area as long as the racing fleet holds together (8 years and counting!). There is also a strong shark racing fleet at Kingston YC (resale).

cheers
Dave @ VAC
Hi Dave
I will be in touch with you this week to discuss further options.
I sent a pm to you but I did not hear back to see if you got it.

rumor has it that there is a nice guy on west lake that has a waterfront cottage

Cheers Rob
rob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 15:13   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Although your budget limit, $5,000, is not generally going to buy one of these, I saw one in New Orleans back in the 90's selling for that. So, it's possible. Lots of information online and you can join the owner's group at https://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorSea27/ for personalized information.

Here's a photo of mine on her trailer at Cattail Cove in Arizona near Lake Havasu.
I just wanted to thank you for the pic of your boat , she is a beauty
Rob
Old 17-01-2015, 15:19   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
That's right, you already have a power boat tied up, sorry I overlooked that.

What direction are you eventually wanting to go with this whole sailing thing?
Are you wanting to eventually replace your power cruiser, or do you just want to just daysail on the side for fun while still cruising with your power boat?

My final goal is to have a boat in Florida that I can use to cruise the Caribbean from Dec to March,then come back to Canada and use my Power boat up here from April till lift out in October.
Rob
Old 17-01-2015, 15:26   #34

Hi
I just wanted to thank all of you that have taken the time to reply to my post,

I really appreciate the advice and wisdom that you all have given me.

Thanks Rob
Old 19-01-2015, 09:36   #35

Chrysler 26 on Ebay, fixed keel version with good trailer. Cheap.
Chrysler 1977 26 Foot "RARE" Fixed Keel Comes with Trailer | eBay

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 09:41   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Chrysler 26 on Ebay, fixed keel version with good trailer. Cheap.
Chrysler 1977 26 Foot "RARE" Fixed Keel Comes with Trailer | eBay
Let me see, no steering mechanism, no title, no registration for the trailer. Sounds like a peach!
Old 19-01-2015, 10:20   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Let me see, no steering mechanism, no title, no registration for the trailer. Sounds like a peach!
Yeah... he's evidently in the middle of installing wheel steering. Something you don't need on a 26 really.
Lost titles are pretty easy to replace with just an application here in WA. Although there may be a waiting period if you want to resell. But heck that trailer looks to be worth the price... if you've shopped for a fixed keel sailboat trailer!
It's probably a project though for sure...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:28   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Just a few comments about what folks are advising you. Hake Seaward are usually pretty expensive and over your budget. A catboat sometimes has an unstayed mast and is harder to erect than a hinged mast step mast. The O'Day 2+2 will be harder to launch and recover because it has a fixed keel instead of a swing keel. Com Pac are quality boats but also expensive.

If you have a chance to hang out at a boat ramp and see what sailboats are being set up and launched on a warm holiday that might be an eye opener for you.

Good luck.

The O Day Mariner is Also available as a Swing Keel
Model. There are some smaller fixed keel boats on my lake and
Launching them is definitely a pain in the butt. Trailer extensions
are needed all the time. Go with a swing keel for sure
Google. Mariner Class Association
For more info
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 15:07   #39

Hi Rob,
I know the Bay of Quinte well, and I've spent a decent amount of time there. I also know the boat market in the area fairly well, and $5000 should get you into something decent.

There are two boats I'm going to recommend, neither one is flashy, but they both suit your needs. (I would suggest three but somebody else already mentioned the Tanzer 22).

1) Grampian 23. Probably the most spacious old 23 on the market. They sleep 5 (2 children in V-Birth, 2 adults on Dinette and one in quarter birth). They have a small but complete galley, and a private head (nice feature on a 23). You should not have any trouble finding a Grampian 23 in the Kingston area for under $2000 which will leave you $3000 for a brand new engine- which will be your life line if you're inexperienced. They have a Pop top for full standing headroom at the galley.

The downside to the Grampian 23 is they are tired. They were inexpensive boats in the 70's. They're construction is solid enough, but they will be leaky in the rain, will be in need of upgrading and will only be equipped with basic systems. On the bay of Quinte they will be fantastic, they may feel a little small on the open waters of Lake Ontario, but when Lake Ontario gets ugly, I don't know many boats that don't feel a little small.

2) Alberg 22. My brother sails one not too far north of you on the Ottawa. They will be a little more expensive than the Grampian 23 with much more cramped interior. I would say around $5000 will get you the boat and an old out board.
The Alberg will still feel small on the open lake, but will fair much better if you wind up getting blown onto one of the many rocks in the area, and is generally a much more seaworthy craft.

If I had to chose between the two, I would take a serious look at my usage. If I was spending a lot of over nights in the Bay of Quinte and the protection of the Adoplhus Reach and the thousand islands- I'd pick the Grampian. If I was planning on testing my limits and sailing Lake Ontario (on fairly calm summer days) I'd go with the Alberg.

Edit: I don't think you will get much more in terms of seaworthiness from either of these oldys with the McGregor. They are pretty lightly built with no real keel (Grampian has a fin, Alberg a full). I don't have anything against McGregors, but you said you already have a power boat. Again, the Alberg 22 will be more seaworthy than the Grampian 23 or the McGregor 26.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 16:23   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah... he's evidently in the middle of installing wheel steering. Something you don't need on a 26 really.
Lost titles are pretty easy to replace with just an application here in WA. Although there may be a waiting period if you want to resell. But heck that trailer looks to be worth the price... if you've shopped for a fixed keel sailboat trailer!
It's probably a project though for sure...
Lots of dreamers on ebay on both sides. That's how it works I guess.

Assuming the trailer is not rusted out it's probably worth $1-1.5K. The OB probably $500 and the 40 year old hull another $500 max. I say "hull" as I'd presume if the interior was in decent shape its pics would be posted as well. So in the sane world the starting bid should be the winning bid.

Oops, noticed the motor is not included. Therefore the asking price is way more than the boat is worth. Unless the trailer is totally rust free and ready to go as is.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat